Spare tubes - Roadies

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

kode54

by kode54

long ride....
2 spare tubes
2 CO2 cartridge and inflator
tire levers
mini pump on frame by bottle cage
small patch kit
--tire boot
--KMC chain quick link
--shraeder converter (for gas station pump)
Bellroy elements
--iPhone6
--cash (enough to take train or cab)
--health insurance card
--spare single house key
--laminated copy of drivers license

for short rides:
everything in the Bellroy elements case
everything in the small patch kit
1 spare tube
1 CO2 cartridge and inflator
tire levers
mini pump on frame by bottle cage
small patch kit
- Factor Ostro VAM Disc
- Factor LS Disc
- Specialized Aethos Disc
- Sturdy Ti Allroad Disc
- Guru Praemio R Disc

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

KWalker

by KWalker

I carry the same shit on every ride:

Saddle bag- 2 Speci turbo tubes. These pack up super small and light.
Patch kit including the glue
Shift cable
spare master link
tire lever
4mm and 5mm allen or a small multi tool with a chain tool
Park frame pump
co2 and nozzle when I remember to buy a new cartridge
small roll of electrical tape

With a Cannondale I always carry a spare der hanger as I've seen a lot of these bend or break. All of this packs into an Ortlieb saddle bag.

On my person its a phone and debit card plus any food.
Don't take me too seriously. The only person that doesn't hate Froome.
Gramz
Failed Custom Bike

Bigger Gear

by Bigger Gear

I used to never use a seatbag, just stuffed my pockets. But as I got older I realized that pocket space is better served for clothing, either if one is stripping stuff off, or having to add stuff due to temperature drops. Or in the PNW, to bring extra gloves on long rainy rides. And then cell phone too as it came along. As a result, I caved and started using an Arundel Dual seatbag. Two tubes, one lever, one small multi-tool, tire boot material, spare Wippermann link. Jersey pockets have food, phone and Lezyne mini-pump, possibly with a vest and/or extra gloves depending on the day.

I know "The Rules" are very against the seatbag but I think Velominati is way off on this front. Most pros I know train with a seatbag, the key is finding one that is small enough so that it doesn't look like you have a McD's takeout bag under your saddle.

**Edit** Always have a pair of medical exam/latex gloves in the seatbag. There is nothing more filthy than a winter PNW puncture.

itguy

by itguy

Reading all of you, it sure sounds like we are going to war, not cycling... Too much to carry

mattr

by mattr

Really?
Ask the same question of some mountain bikers and you'll get a shock. Enough tools to almost completely rebuild the bike and enough spares to make a bike shop owner blink. Even for a trail centre trip. No to mention the amount of water they'll take for a 25 mile ride......

FWIW, a couple of tubes, couple of gas canisters, mini tool, quick link, ID, cash and then food/clothing to suit the ride distance and conditions.
Same on or off road. If the weather's nice I usually have a spare pocket or two on my jersey. So it really isn't "too much to carry". If the weather's not nice the gilet and arm warmers fill the spare pocket!

And if the weather's really crap (sub zero or snow) I use a saddle bag, so I can easily get at food/warm kit. (And I add a tyre lever to the tools, so I don't have to take my gloves off to change tubes.......)
Last edited by mattr on Wed Mar 11, 2015 3:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

efeballi

by efeballi

itguy wrote:Reading all of you, it sure sounds like we are going to war, not cycling... Too much to carry

Yes, Istanbul is a friggin war zone.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
SHUT UP LEGS
2015 Giant Propel Advanced
2015 Cannondale Supersix Evo
2013 KTM Strada mod. (totaled)
2011 Pinarello Dogma 60.1(loaner)
2011 Scott SUB 45(sold)

Politecnico di Milano Ingegneria Meccanica

nickf

by nickf

I carry everything in my jersey pockets. Clinchers i carry one tube, tubulars i carry a can of pit stop. Also carry in a small plastic bag a co2, tire levers, tire boot, small multi tool, phone.

kode54

by kode54

Bigger Gear wrote: Always have a pair of medical exam/latex gloves in the seatbag. There is nothing more filthy than a winter PNW puncture.

good idea. they're thin and light enough...i should start to carry a pair myself.
- Factor Ostro VAM Disc
- Factor LS Disc
- Specialized Aethos Disc
- Sturdy Ti Allroad Disc
- Guru Praemio R Disc

dmp

by dmp

DEADRE wrote:....there a several bakeshops along the way.

I guess if you have a flat you can stop in for some cake or pastry to cheer you up!

sawyer

by sawyer

tymon_tm wrote:i haven't puncured in a decade or so 8) so i only take a spare tube if there's nobody availible to pick me up in case of a serious mechanical (weekdays), and i never ride with a pump - there are so many villages, houses etc someone's gotta have one. plus i have a self-made rubber valve adapter for gas station compressors in my wallet :thumbup: i honestly hate riding with pockets filled with too much stuff...

:up:

When I ride my local training loop - never more than 7 miles from home if on clinchers I will only take:

- small patch kit
- 1 tyre lever
- 1 Co2 catridge and head

If going further afield on clinchers I will take a single tube

Never 2 tubes. Only needed 2+ tubes on one ride ever in 15 years road riding.

Key is riding decent tyres and avoiding crap on the road (where possible)

On tubulars near home I will only take:

- 1 Co2 catridge and head

If going further afield I will take Pitstop and maybe another Co2

Never a spare

WWism in action!

Oh and yeah, PR2s were an awesome tyre

Admit my approach is extreme and for tubs, vulnerable to a biggish puncture, but then I probably puncture once every 5000km

Amazes me how many people take spares links and chain tools with them. Touring, maybe, but just training?

I have never needed either on a ride including unsupported rides across Europe

Other stuff I take:

- debit card/cash (note, never coins)
- single house key - if necessary, might hide near home to save weight sometimes
----------------------------------------
Stiff, Light, Aero - Pick Three!! :thumbup:

Vagabond

by Vagabond

I use an Arundel tubular bag to carry two CO2s, my silca inflator, spare tube, and a single tire lever. Works great with plenty of room to spare. Eadt Coast at work bike is built up with tubeless Shamals since the roads here are so littered with glass and such. When I'm home on the Weet Coast bike in the PNW I ride sew-ups. Then the tubular bag carries a spare tire, two CO2s, and the silca inflator. I'lll usually carry a Vittoria inflator with sealant either strapped to the bag or in a jersey pocket. Knock on wood, I have yet to be stranded for tire issues. Ever. I like to keep my pockets avaiable for chow and shells and vests. Especially on the island where even in summer one is always layering for the chilled air coming in off the Strait.
Colnago e Campagnolo

ChrisSnyder

by ChrisSnyder

Use a seatbag:
1 tube
1 CO2
1 Tire lever
1 Multitool

In Pocket:
Phone
Credit card
Drivers License
Alchemy Custom
8.3kg - Not so WW

aram

by aram

Only 1 tube and a patch kit. I have a cell phone and usually ride with people though.

Switch to latex tubes, you won't get pinch flats. I've only had one flat since I switched six months ago and it was a large cut in the tire.

duvivr6

by duvivr6

nickf wrote:I carry everything in my jersey pockets. Clinchers i carry one tube, tubulars i carry a can of pit stop. Also carry in a small plastic bag a co2, tire levers, tire boot, small multi tool, phone.

This pretty much exactly what I carry, but I have a small pump instead of C02 :thumbup:

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

CerveloBert

by CerveloBert

I carry the following in a Lezyne Caddy Sack http://www.lezyne.com/product-orgnzrs-caddysack.php#.VRGV4ZPF8pA:

2 Tubes
1 Multitool http://www.specialized.com/us/en/ftr/bagstools/tools/emt-road. I love it, it's tiny.
1 Park Tool Tire Lever http://www.parktool.com/product/tire-lever-set-1-2 - Not the entire set
Lezyne Trigger Drive http://www.lezyne.com/product-CO2-infl-triggerdrive.php#.VRGVeJPF8pB
2 Co2 Cartridges
A folded up $1.00 note to be used as a barrier in case my tire gets a puncture
Keys if I am riding from a location other than home

Left Jersey Pocket - Cell Phone/ID in a plastic Ziploc bag, nutrition
Right Jersey Pocket - nutrition