Road riding in Japan

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

breakjnky

by breakjnky

I raced in western Europe, all over the US, Central America, and South East Siberia. Thought Japan might be a pretty, fun, and convenient place to ride. I'm wondering what cities in Japan will have great riding and a lot of off bike entertainment, good weather, food, and experiences. Basically, the San Francisco of Japan.

Where would you travel to in Japan to road ride? I will probably be going solo, if it is any consideration on the destination.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

RimClencher

by RimClencher

My experience is living in Tokyo and riding in the mountains outside Tokyo for the last few years. There are certainly loads of great climbs and memorable routes to be done around here (Kanto region), though to be honest I haven't done much elsewhere. One thing to know is you can take your bike on pretty much any train in Japan. So, even in Tokyo it's pretty easy to jump on a train or ride a river path out the city, get in some amazing mountain passes, and take the train home all in the same day.

Weather does vary a lot in different parts of Japan though. Hokkaido to the north is probably great to ride in summer, but not so good at other times. The high mountains around Tokyo are covered in snow between November and February, and the lowlands are absolutely stifling in July/August. 100% humidity is very common here in summer. Spring and autumn is perfect.

Overall cycling is definitely pretty safe, people are friendly, and there are so many mountains all over the place pretty much anywhere might be worth exploring. You can actually check out most of it from the comfort of your computer as Japan is covered quite extensively on Google Streetview.

Tokyo Cycling Club might also be a place to look for more specific info: http://www.tokyocycle.com/bbs/

May as well post this link to a video of a Tokyo Cycling Club group ride late last year (shaky camerawork, but shows you the train situation plus some nice views): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K1WSUxYNx0w

Sorry about all the edits.