Camera Mounts and Assorted 3D Printed Parts

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

kode54

by kode54

WheresWaldo wrote:Image

Uses a couple of zip ties to hold it in place. When the fellow cyclist that asked for this sent me a picture of it installed, I was surprised to see it mounted in front of the saddle clamp instead of behind the saddle clamp.

how does one use this mount, if you have a Di2 seat post battery in place? i'm looking to relocate my junction box elsewhere, and have an Enve bar, so no handlebar end mount for me.
- Factor Ostro VAM Disc
- Factor LS Disc
- Specialized Aethos Disc
- Sturdy Ti Allroad Disc
- Guru Praemio R Disc

dlcrep

by dlcrep

What's the difference between the lower model (strong & flexible) vs the acrylic model? I found the Specialized SWAT mount had a hard time keeping the GoPro in place during the ride.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

WheresWaldo
in the industry

by WheresWaldo

Sorry for missing these posts, had to replace the motherboard in my PC then reinstall Win10 on top of that. Hopefully I will be 100% running after today, still a bunch of apps need reinstalling.

@kode54 The guy from Crank Addicts has it installed the way it should be installed. The little hooked ends have a slot next to it. You use a zip ties around the seat rail to secure each side of the Di2 mount. It was not designed with any particular orientation in mind. The original thought was that you would install this facing rearward (behind the saddle clamp and this the Junction A under (like the picture but behind the saddle not in front). You can, room permitting install it with the Di2 clip on the top also. It was designed so the cable connections point toward the seat post. I do not have the seat post Di2 Battery (still using Di2 Ultegra 10-speed) so I cannot say how the cables exit from that setup.

@dlcrep The nylon (Strong & Flexible) is cheaper because the cost of materials and manufacturing process is cheaper. It also is a bit more flexible in thinner thicknesses. The Acrylic is stiffer and much less flexible than nylon, it also has a smoother finish because it is made with Acrylic resin and not grains of nylon. The colors although very limited are clear through the print. White, Black and Translucent (milky) are all that is available in acrylic, but Acrylic can take paint with just priming and painting, the nylon requires sealing first. Here is how I choose, If I can't see it on the bike and it is attached to a light item, we are weightweenies after all, I almost always choose S&F nylon (never black since Shapeways claims they can't polish the surface before dyeing it in black). If it is a bigger piece and/or holding more weight or I can see it while riding I generally choose Acrylic in Black. If I were going to paint match the bike, I would choose Acrylic in white so as not to affect the final color.

I hope those answers help.

CrankAddictsRich

by CrankAddictsRich

kode54 wrote:
WheresWaldo wrote:Image

Uses a couple of zip ties to hold it in place. When the fellow cyclist that asked for this sent me a picture of it installed, I was surprised to see it mounted in front of the saddle clamp instead of behind the saddle clamp.

how does one use this mount, if you have a Di2 seat post battery in place? i'm looking to relocate my junction box elsewhere, and have an Enve bar, so no handlebar end mount for me.

I think you're asking how do I run the wires in the seat post, with the battery inside it, correct? The Shiv has an aero seat post, so the battery fits inside the widest area, but there's still channels of space in front and behind. I did have a drill a small hole in the top of the seat post to bring the wires through, as well.

WheresWaldo wrote:Sorry for missing these posts, had to replace the motherboard in my PC then reinstall Win10 on top of that. Hopefully I will be 100% running after today, still a bunch of apps need reinstalling.

@kode54 The guy from Crank Addicts has it installed the way it should be installed. The little hooked ends have a slot next to it. You use a zip ties around the seat rail to secure each side of the Di2 mount. It was not designed with any particular orientation in mind. The original thought was that you would install this facing rearward (behind the saddle clamp and this the Junction A under (like the picture but behind the saddle not in front). You can, room permitting install it with the Di2 clip on the top also. It was designed so the cable connections point toward the seat post. I do not have the seat post Di2 Battery (still using Di2 Ultegra 10-speed) so I cannot say how the cables exit from that setup.

@dlcrep The nylon (Strong & Flexible) is cheaper because the cost of materials and manufacturing process is cheaper. It also is a bit more flexible in thinner thicknesses. The Acrylic is stiffer and much less flexible than nylon, it also has a smoother finish because it is made with Acrylic resin and not grains of nylon. The colors although very limited are clear through the print. White, Black and Translucent (milky) are all that is available in acrylic, but Acrylic can take paint with just priming and painting, the nylon requires sealing first. Here is how I choose, If I can't see it on the bike and it is attached to a light item, we are weightweenies after all, I almost always choose S&F nylon (never black since Shapeways claims they can't polish the surface before dyeing it in black). If it is a bigger piece and/or holding more weight or I can see it while riding I generally choose Acrylic in Black. If I were going to paint match the bike, I would choose Acrylic in white so as not to affect the final color.

I hope those answers help.

I mounted it forward for two reasons. 1. I have the saddle pushed forward, so there wasn't a lot of room behind it to mount it. 2. At most time trials, there's a holder that holds the back of the bike by grabbing the back of the saddle. I didn't want the junction box back there where the holder could inadvertently break it, knock out a wire or put it into adjustment mode, etc.

dlcrep

by dlcrep

WheresWaldo wrote:@dlcrep The nylon (Strong & Flexible) is cheaper because the cost of materials and manufacturing process is cheaper. It also is a bit more flexible in thinner thicknesses. The Acrylic is stiffer and much less flexible than nylon, it also has a smoother finish because it is made with Acrylic resin and not grains of nylon. The colors although very limited are clear through the print. White, Black and Translucent (milky) are all that is available in acrylic, but Acrylic can take paint with just priming and painting, the nylon requires sealing first. Here is how I choose, If I can't see it on the bike and it is attached to a light item, we are weightweenies after all, I almost always choose S&F nylon (never black since Shapeways claims they can't polish the surface before dyeing it in black). If it is a bigger piece and/or holding more weight or I can see it while riding I generally choose Acrylic in Black. If I were going to paint match the bike, I would choose Acrylic in white so as not to affect the final color.

Thanks Waldo, I went with the acrylic black. I don't mind the weight and I could use the sturdiness.

WheresWaldo
in the industry

by WheresWaldo

@dlcrep, the weight is insignificant in this small a print, probably only one or two grams.

@crankaddictsrich thanks for providing that explanation.

skarre

by skarre

Would it be possible to design a blendr low mount for the Wahoo Elemnt with a GoPro mount underneath? You have one for the garmin but not yet for Elemnt. Thank you!

WheresWaldo
in the industry

by WheresWaldo

Yes, I will look at his over the weekend.

cDaero

by cDaero

I was just directed over here to ask for the same exact thing for my bolt but I assume the regular wahoo mount works just fine so +1 request for elemnt style + gopro underneath. Thanks!

cDaero

by cDaero

Waldo, are you The Revolutionaries on Sw.com?

WheresWaldo
in the industry

by WheresWaldo

Yes I am.

Sorry I haven't gotten to this request yet. I ended up sick in bed for the past week because I was stupid and did not get a flu shot. I will start working on it right away.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

cDaero

by cDaero

Terrible news-- Take your time, I'm in no rush. I did the same thing last year and got the flu as well. I had no idea how long of a recovery that is on the bike. I was flat for weeks.

cDaero

by cDaero

Hopefully the flu didn't take you off the map, Waldo.

I need to order mounts for some friends ( everyone is loving my vias solution for wahoo) and Im actually happy to see the Wahoo/gopro mount hasn't been added yet. I forgot to mention that, for me, the "extra small" size works perfectly with Vias cockpit and I was hoping I could request one made with the same drop + gopro on the bottom side. Also a blendr to blendr extension piece so I can space my camera/headlight an extra inch or so below the computer.

WheresWaldo
in the industry

by WheresWaldo

I had a relapse of the flu, turned into walking pneumonia put me back in bed for four days last week. I will start on it tomorrow.

@cDaero I sent you a PM please contact me so we can discuss what you need.

cDaero

by cDaero

I'm a new member and I dont think I can reply to you PM. My email is sellemt@gmail.com.

I pretty much just need a wahoo top/gopro bottom mount that has the same rise/drop as your wahoo bolt mount in the "extra small" size

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com