Camera Mounts and Assorted 3D Printed Parts

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

drmutley

by drmutley

WheresWaldo wrote:If you have the need for a Virb to GoPro adapter and don't want to buy a whole set of mounts. You have or have access to a 3D printer. I have posted the print files for a version of the same. It uses the Virb thumbscrew and an M4 acorn nut or M4 nylon insert lock nut on the Garmin side and the standard GoPro style thumbscrew on the other.
Virb to GoPro Mount Adapter on YouMagine
Virb to GoPro Mount Adapter on Thingiverse

Just my way of saying thanks.
champ [emoji106]

WheresWaldo
in the industry

by WheresWaldo

In honor of their Dutch heritage, Shapeways' is offering 15% off all Orange Strong & Flexible this week to celebrate King's Day. Use code KINGSDAY15 to save on anything from the marketplace through Friday May 1*.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

WheresWaldo
in the industry

by WheresWaldo

This is for those of us weight weenies that do not want to use any clips or tape to hold on their Di2 Junction 'A' box. It is a combination of a 5 mm headset spacer and the clip. This differs from other clips as it is angled 17° so the junction is mounted parallel to the ground. If you are willing to give up 5 mm of saddle to handlebar drop, this is for you. Designed to work with 1.125" fork steerers.
Di2 Junction 'A' Clip / 5 mm Headset Spacer
Last edited by WheresWaldo on Sat May 02, 2015 3:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

martinko

by martinko

Nice idea but do I understand it right that if I steer, the junction box stays at the same place and doesn't rotate to point where the stem is pointing?

WheresWaldo
in the industry

by WheresWaldo

No, the spacers always move the same direction as the stem. That is how it always works. So whichever orientation you mount this in it will stay in the same orientation as you rotate the handlebars left or right. It works out exactly the same way that straping or taping on the clip would work, just that there is no big ugly rubber strap and no tape to mess with as the original Shimano or in my tape-on clip, respectively.

martinko

by martinko

Yes, that's correct. Otherwise the headset would be loose. I should sleep more :D

53x12

by 53x12

Anyone know if the Di2 Junction 'A' Tape-On Clip would fit on most seat tubes? Thinking about this for a S3 frame.
"Marginal gains are the only gains when all that's left to gain is in the margins."

AndreLM

by AndreLM

Instead of taping to the seat tube (I would be concerned on damaging the paint...) you could try a:
Di2 Junction 'A' screw on mounting clip

plus this:
Shimano Dura-Ace Di2 Seat Tube Bottle Cage Relocator

and don`t forget this:
Metric Nylon Pan Head Phillips Machine Screw - Part Number: 92492A320

53x12

by 53x12

Thanks AndreLM. I am missing the big picture. I understand the use of the Shimano bottle cage relocator, but how would that work in conjunction with the Di2 junction A screw on mounting clip? Does the mounting clip just screw into the bottom hole of that bottle cage relocator? And then the water bottle cage goes into the oval sized holes?
"Marginal gains are the only gains when all that's left to gain is in the margins."

WheresWaldo
in the industry

by WheresWaldo

@53x12 the tape on Di2 clip is curved for about a 36 mm circle. So it should work on most seat tubes.

AndreLM

by AndreLM

53x12... I actually didn't think really well on how it would work before sending the suggestion, but Yes...you would use the relocator in a slightly different way.... You would screw the cage through the oval holes, and place the clip on the round hole on the relocator...

The relocator would not relocate the cage...

I am not 100% sure it would work

WheresWaldo
in the industry

by WheresWaldo

Please don't flame me for what I am going to say next.

I really don't think that taping the clip to the frame will be a problem for most paint unless it's a Cannondale you are trying to tape it to.

I actually have my D-Fly unit taped to the bottom section of the seat tube on my Cannondale EVO and have not had any issues, but I haven't needed to remove it. I use the same double-sided tape I use for holding parts to my multi-rotor UAV, 3M Outdoor, It is gray and sticks extremely well. I have had to pull off the Di2 taped on clip under my stem a couple of times and aside from some adhesive residue I needed to clean off. No damage whatsoever to the finish of the stem. When I get a chance I will take a picture of where my D-Fly unit is taped to the frame. Based on my limited experience taping stuff to my frame, I would doubt there would be an issue taping the Di2 clip to the seat tube.

tranzformer

by tranzformer

Wouldn't thay citrus based goo-off take the double sided sticky stuff off anyways if need be?

WheresWaldo
in the industry

by WheresWaldo

@tranzformer - exactly

Had an interesting short exchange on another forum about my Di2 clips. A vendor of his own designed clips told people on that forum that the clips I have and you guys are using are just a bunch of CAD files and not real items. I corrected him and pointed him to the clips only on my Shapeways page. His comment, please bear in mind that he also has some Chinese made replacement Di2 clips, was that I was selling them way too cheap. I think it was getting to him that his 5 mm spacer combo clip was $25.00 and mine was only less tha $13.00. The parts, while not identical, are both nylon plastic, both are about the same size and weight. My thought was that I only wanted to charge prices that reflect the actual cost of goods.

At Sea Otter, BarFly (Tate Labs) showed a buch of new stuff, but like everyone else they charge a lot for theirs. I think they believe the market is so small that they are going to try to grab as many dollars as possible with each and every sale. Raceware sometimes prices their items the same way.

As I said numerous times, I am not trying to become the next millionaire making mounts (although money is a good thing). I need some of this stuff for myself and if I can help out another cyclist with a mount I am happy to help. With that in mind I am working on a couple of new things and should have them up on Shapeways during the rest of May and June.

WheresWaldo
in the industry

by WheresWaldo

Don't know if there would be any interest in this type of mount. I redesigned the Garmin Edge mount I was using so that it is only an eighth-turn instead of quarter-turn. As a result I ended up being able to put two sets of stops 90° offset. This allows an Edge as well as a Forerunner or Fenix to use the exact same mount without moving and/or unscrewing anything. Then I put it in a Time Trial Bar Extension type of mount. The Garmin will sit even with the extension. As an added feature there is a Virb mount under it. You can have both a Garmin cyclo-computer or sportwatch as well as a Virb action cam all on the same mount. The Virb will sit below the extensions. It should fit any alloy/carbon extensions that are in the range of 20-22 mm in diameter.

Only a couple of items are required. An M4 x 15 mm socket head cap screw, an M4 nylon insert lock nut, a genuine Garmin Virb mount insert and locking ring.

Here is a render of the mount.
This same mount could be made with a built in GoPro mount also.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com