Camera Mounts and Assorted 3D Printed Parts

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

WheresWaldo
in the industry

by WheresWaldo

Sorry to inform you guys, there is a small error in the Di2 Clips. I am correcting it and working with the Shapeways team to correct the flaw. Here is the issue: The two grooves that the SM-EW90 slides into does not have the cut outs for the stop at the end of the rails. What this means is that you cannot slide the Junction completely into the clip. It is a very small 1 mm cut out that is missing from the slot opening. There are two things that can be done. You can cut out the section yourself or when you receive your part contact Shapeways customer support and ask for a refund since the part doesn't fit. In a couple of days I will have the corrected files uploaded to Shapeways. Sorry for any inconvenience. For those that already ordered them and have them and can't cancel their orders and would like to modify their clips to make it work the cut out is just the top part of the slot and it is 1 mm deep (see image below).
I have temporarily suspended sales of the clips until I can rectify the issue.

Update
All items have been updated with a revised design and are now on Shapeways.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

nismosr

by nismosr

Garmin combo is neat .. what about Garmin camera mount ?
2020 Colnago C64 Mapei-SR12 EPS-WTO 60
2021 Basso Diamante SV-SR12 Disc EPS-WTO 60
2023 Colnago G3X-SRAM AXS Force-Levante

WheresWaldo
in the industry

by WheresWaldo

I am working on two separate items, just waiting for my test items to be shipped. One will be an Edge computer / Garmin Virb Flat mount, that will let you mount both and rotate the camera so it does not have to be pointed exactly forward. I am also doing a few other things with the GoPro mounts. Here is one of them.

5 mm Headset Spacer / GoPro Mount

This is designed for those people that don't have room on their bars for a clamp or don't want any more stuff on their stem. I am trying to figure out if this long piece is stable enough to mount a Sony/Virb/Contour or any other cam that does not follow the GoPro form factor. If this vibrates to much it may need to be a 10 mm spacer.

AndreLM

by AndreLM

Nice! Have you considered doing one with a -6 or -8 degree angle so it more or less has the same angle as the stem?

Namida12

by Namida12

WheresWaldo

Re the: (5 mm Headset Spacer / GoPro Mount)

If it was metal it could be stiffened by pressing a line (indention) or two from the GoPro mount to the Head tube area, but this is a different medium. Does adding a raised area to the bottom accomplish the same feat of "stiffening" the structure along its length?

This appears to be a good mount for a Sony-HDR-Az1VR-Action-Camera (63 grams) and your adapter. I have the older style Dura Ace 7800 brifters, and the believe the cables will interfere with the Video capture. I still believe the camera needs to be a bit higher, but I may be incrrect not having the GoPro headset spacer, GoPro mount adapter for the Sony -HDR-Az1VR and camera installed.

I have three bicycles to set up for the Sony-HDR-Az1VR all have slightly different Aero Flat top drop bars installed. All three could fit a 10 mm headset spacer. What about clearance for the Sony-HDR-Az1VR camera body with a integrated or a 3% stem angle?

Fuji SST 1.0 <--has a Aero Seat post that needs to be included in your data base.
Orbea Orca
Jamis Ventura Race

JR

WheresWaldo
in the industry

by WheresWaldo

Here are a couple of options.

If you are mounting under the stem, you could angle it down -17 degrees so it sticks out parallel to the ground. With a GoPro or any GoPro form factor camera (wider rather than deeper), it is actually pretty easy and doesn't need to extend very much. Since it's nylon and does not compress, it works well as a headset spacer material. To do a Sony/Virb/Contour you need about 60-75 mm extention to allow the camera not to hit either the head tube or the headset/spacers, if it's hanging under the mount. That sticks out a long way for such a flat cantilever arm. If it's built like Paul's but as a spacer rather than a cap, it will likely be in the optical line of sight of anything mounted on the bars or in the case of those who use an item like the StemCAPtain definitely in the way visually. Either way its a compromise. There are just not a lot of mounting options for people with aero combo handlebar/stems or those with already mounted cycling gadgets.

If my Virb flat mount clone works, for those users a cap or spacer mount does not have to face forward. It could stick out at any angle since the mount is built to allow a set degree of angle. for a GoPro style mount, making it rotate makes is inherently weaker and less stable. Neither of which anyone wants. Of course doing with a Garmin flat mount increases the amount of nylon used which increases the weight and cost.

I am open to suggestions, I could do two versions of the headset spacer, a short and long version, designed to go over the stem and under respectively. The work is already done, essentially.

One of my big issues is support for people still using older components, like Garmin Edge 7xx/6xx/3xx, and support for those that use combo bars that have no way to use an 'Out Front' style mount.

WheresWaldo
in the industry

by WheresWaldo

To support older, but completely functional Garmin Edge computers in the 205-705 series, I designed this clip for you. It has a 205-705 sliding mount on the top to attach your bicycle computer to. It features a Garmin Quarter-turn insert in the bottom to attach to the many Garmin computer mounts available. It will work with all Garmin 'Out Front" style mounts too.

Here is a render (Garmin 205/305, 605/705 Edge to Quarter-turn Edge Adapter).

Namida12

by Namida12

WheresWaldo,

I already have a quarter turn edge adapter mount for the 700 edge adapter, but what about a Sony Cam mount similar to this GoPro Stem mount? I will forget about the watch in the cockpit for the moment...
http://www.shapeways.com/product/7VHLB5 ... d=41600385

JR

WheresWaldo
in the industry

by WheresWaldo

JR, I was thinking about this and what I had in mind was a short spacer so you could still use the watch. I should have something by tomorrow evening.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

WheresWaldo
in the industry

by WheresWaldo

@Namida12 - Here is a 5 mm headset spacer combined with a GoPro mount. It is available in the Shapeways store.
5 mm Headset Spacer GoPro Short Mount

WheresWaldo
in the industry

by WheresWaldo

Shapeways had some site issues this week so they sent registered users this code for 10% off a single order. If you wanted to try something out and save a bit of change use the code below, it is valid until April 15 at 11:59 PM PDT

THANKYOU10

At the same time, look at the new stuff i have up on Shapeways, lots of Garmin Virb items.

bfno

by bfno

Do you think you could make a range of Di2 mounts like this? I myself would be interested in a Zipp Service Course SL version (I believe bolt width is 9.2mm c-c).

Venge | Shiv TT | Langster | Dogma 60.1 | CruX | Aeroad CF SLX (WIP)

WheresWaldo
in the industry

by WheresWaldo

Specialized dealers can order that as a replacement part. Not sure why when the tape on clip works just as well and is likely cheaper than the Specialized part. I am not sure I understand the need for something like this. It would mean designing parts for various stems or making them slots like REC-MOUNTS does, bigger more complex and more weight too. Even with thick double sided tape mine is just over 2 grams.

I'll snap a pic of the 5 port junction mounted under my stem and post it later.

WheresWaldo
in the industry

by WheresWaldo

Item requested by a user of another forum. He sent me a spacer and wanted a Virb mount spcifically built for his Giant TCR Advanced SL. Here it is, available in two version, one for the GoPro the other for the Virb.
GoPro Giant TCR Advanced ISP Mount on Shapeways
Virb Giant TCR Advanced ISP Mount on Shapeways

WheresWaldo
in the industry

by WheresWaldo

If you have the need for a Virb to GoPro adapter and don't want to buy a whole set of mounts. You have or have access to a 3D printer. I have posted the print files for a version of the same. It uses the Virb thumbscrew and an M4 acorn nut or M4 nylon insert lock nut on the Garmin side and the standard GoPro style thumbscrew on the other.
Virb to GoPro Mount Adapter on YouMagine
Virb to GoPro Mount Adapter on Thingiverse

Just my way of saying thanks.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com