Light bicyle.com

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

coppercook62

by coppercook62

has anyone bought wheels from them? if so how is the quality?

chris47

by chris47

I bought a set of 27.5 carbon rims from them, roughly half a year ago, and they turned out flawless. They were within their claimed weights and have held up very well. No problems in making them tubeless, and I even got them to make blue decals for my rims

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

coppercook62

by coppercook62

thanks

F45

by F45

I got some of the 35mm road rims. The build quality looks good and they are within claimed weight.

TheDoc

by TheDoc

I got a set of 26" carbon wheelset for my Ibis Mojo HD in May '13. Smooth transaction and still running strong! zero problem so far.

mentok

by mentok

I have purchased a total of 5x mtb 29er rims from them, wide with hooks. all were on spec for weight and erd. they were easy to build and they ride nicely. 1 rim was destroyed by a rim on rock with a very flat tyre but other than that no issues.

spookyload

by spookyload

I had a set of the 50mm carbon clinchers. Strong wheels that were well built. The wheels I got didn't have the basalt brake track. Brake surface was shiny and smooth. Kept the brakes screaming most of the time.

Tom-s

by Tom-s

I have 4 rims. One set of MTB 29er light rims (hookless), both below 340g so much lighter than claimed.
And for road one 35mm rim @ 410g and a 45mm @ 470g. Lighter than advertised and made without brake track.
Both wheelsets build by a local wheel builder to my specs. The rims are very good, an easy build according to my builder.
Only had them for 4 month so about 4000km's on them. Hit some sharp edges with them, don't use them lightly, they hold up well.

bkracer

by bkracer

I have been riding their 35mm hookless 27.5 rims on my new Nomad. Quality seems very good and they built up quite nice. That said I have broken the rear one twice. Both were moderately hard hits but nothing that would total an aluminum rim. That said they ride nice and are light and stiff. Sure as shit I didn't toast 2 Enve rims!! At the Light Bicycle price I can replace them and not feel to bad. Plus the broken rims make cool picture frames!!

dmtevo

by dmtevo

I purchased 33mm wide, hooked, tubeless, 26" rims a year or so ago. I had the built up at my LBS on some Hope Evo hubs. So far they've been excellent. Not had too true them at all and they've run fine. I use them for mainly XC, they're reasonably light and stiff. The wheel builder and the staff commented on how well they built up and looked.

I only hope the FarSports 50mm clinchers I've recently ordered turnout as good!

njee20

by njee20

Thousands of posts on every forum about these, they're great. I've got a pair of MTB ones (29er hookless), they'll hand pick some light ones if you ask too.

Only downside is delivery wasn't all that fast - about 3 weeks from ordering to shipping IIRC, but that could have been because of the lightweight request!

pushstart

by pushstart

I will add to the positive reviews. I bought a set of the U45 rims for a road disc project. Weight was 449g and 450g for the two rims; ERD was identical and matched mfr claims. Very professional and easy to work with the sales rep -- no language/translation issues. My rims had no braking surface of course (I have read of people having issue with carbon braking surface on these). They were great to build up. I have been riding them hard -- mostly pavement, but some gravel sections and lots of rough roads this time of year -- for around 2,500 miles now with zero issues.

I really want an excuse to build a wheelset on the new(er) U35mm rims ...

ProEvoSLTeamHighMod

by ProEvoSLTeamHighMod

I have used the road 24mm clinchers, and both 29 and 27.5 mountain rims, all fine, and the 27.5 mountain rims have been bomber, they have several pretty good scrapes but are structurally still fine.

FWIW, braking on the carbon clinchers was mediocre at best even with carbon pads, although maybe they've updated the surface/resin to help.
Also I have seen a few customers with brand new wheelsets that had cracks starting at the nipples. To me this suggests a bad build as my experience building them has been positive and created no such issues.

They build up light too. light-bicycle rims and circus monkey hubs with dt competitions was a nearly 1200g clincher wheelset. damn.

Sykes

by Sykes

I just ordered a set of U55 from them.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Tom-s

by Tom-s

ProEvoSLTeamHighMod wrote:Also I have seen a few customers with brand new wheelsets that had cracks starting at the nipples. To me this suggests a bad build as my experience building them has been positive and created no such issues.

The guy that build my wheels told me the road rims now use a thick 4mm carbon at the nipples compared to older 3mm at the nipples. Maybe this is done to prevent cracking?