Light bicyle.com

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

rcb78

by rcb78

Anyone have experience using one of the road model rims for cx tubeless use? They say they are tubeless compatible, but without a shelf for the bead, how good are they at lower pressures?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Sykes

by Sykes

The road clinchers do have a lip for the bead. I have never used them but I don't see why they can not be used at tubless

CBJ

by CBJ

rcb78 wrote:Anyone have experience using one of the road model rims for cx tubeless use? They say they are tubeless compatible, but without a shelf for the bead, how good are they at lower pressures?

Most mtb rims are beadless now including for tubeless setup.

On a different note I will hopeful move to dics brakes this year and would love to give the U shaped rims a try as I then will not have to worry about braking. I would think I could order them without break surface too maybe even save a little weight.

Tom-s

by Tom-s

Don't think it makes a lot off difference. But mine came in under weight.

cendres

by cendres

I've built several pairs of their rims. Quality of the parts has been fine and the published weights were right on. As someone else noted, the braking surface can be a bit dodgy. I'm referring to the clinchers with cobalt.

rcb78

by rcb78

Sykes wrote:The road clinchers do have a lip for the bead. I have never used them but I don't see why they can not be used at tubless

The lip is good for high pressure 'road' tubeless, but will they burp at 30psi with no bead lock or shelf In the channel?

F45

by F45

Yes, they will burp unless you build up the center channel, just like any road rim. When I build a tubeless cx wheelset, it's going to be with the WTB Chriscross rims. Although now my XR200 set works fine at 25 psi.

449 and 450 grams for the U45 is a good weight. My U35 are 408 and 412 grams.

pushstart

by pushstart

Thanks for posting the U35 weights. Those are great weights. I think that will be my next road wheelset.

I have had awesome experience with Stans rims for CX tubeless (Crest and now Grails). And of course for mtb.

jimborello

by jimborello

After reading this thread Im ordering a set of mtb XC tubular rims. At 350usd a pair they are about 1/5 of what Enves will cost, and from what Ive read they work all right.

KC

by KC

I have had a couple of sets of the 50mm rims for about 3 years from them. Nothing but praise. One had a broken spoke and I didn't realize it until I was done riding. Rim didn't hit the brake. I built both pairs with dt Swiss aerolites. They have stayed true

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dmulligan

by dmulligan

What brake pads work best with Light Bicycle's basalt brake tracks?