Bib tights with articulated knee

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

Stolichnaya

by Stolichnaya

I have a nagging knee problem and it is getting better but I notice that when riding outdoors with bib tights on the knee gets more sore that riding indoors with bib shorts.
These particular bibs are a heavy winter weight from a very reputable brand which have a straight cut from hip to ankle. Cold is not necessarily the issue as I am warming up properly and the bibs are providing good protection.
I am in the market for a new set of bib tights anyway and now looking for a pair that has a highly articulated knee section to alleviate some of the pressure on the knees if possible.
I understand fit is a key aspect here in allowing the knees to move with less restriction, but any suggestions on bib tights with a low pressure knee area would be very appreciated.
Tights without foot straps but with an ankle zip are preferred.

-Stoli

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

sanrensho

by sanrensho

One option you might consider is thermal shorts with leg warmers. This would enable you to try out different leg warmers and have a lighter weight fabric in the knee area. This is if your local temperatures allow, of course.

HillRPete

by HillRPete

For me the Castelli Sorpasso lives up to its claims of superior fit. It's not like I wouldn't ride cheaper ones all the same, but got it on sale and this one does feel better (in a less is more kind of way), when you put it on and walk to the bike (at which point I tend to start think of other things, or nothing).

jjmstang

by jjmstang

Assos
Friends don't let friends ride clinchers

IchDien

by IchDien

HillRPete wrote:For me the Castelli Sorpasso lives up to its claims of superior fit. It's not like I wouldn't ride cheaper ones all the same, but got it on sale and this one does feel better (in a less is more kind of way), when you put it on and walk to the bike (at which point I tend to start think of other things, or nothing).

+1

stella-azzurra

by stella-azzurra

Is your bike that you use indoor and outdoor the same bike?
If not, then you need to check the measurements and make sure they are identical on both bikes.
Are you wearing the same shoes?

Knee problems usually stem from poor bike position, past injuries, a change from the previous bike position.
I never took drugs to improve my performance at any time. I will be willing to stick my finger into a polygraph test if anyone with big media pull wants to take issue. If you buy a signed poster now it will not be tarnished later. --Graeme Obree

mellowJohnny

by mellowJohnny

Are your bib tights "windproof"?

There is a difference in stretch between "windproof" bib tights and "regular" tights. If stretch is really important in the knee sections have a look at bibs that are not described as windproof. I have a pair of Sorpasso tights (not the windproof version) and they are noticeably stretchier than my Assos bib knickers, which are.

NealH

by NealH

I purchased a pair of Exte Ondo winter bib tights several years ago and they fit like a glove - articulated perfectly through the knee area in the cycling position - and the knees are windproof fabric. I don't wear them much as they are for cold weather but, they are the nicest pair of bibs I've ever had. Very precisely cut and sewed. Just high quality.

Stolichnaya

by Stolichnaya

Thanks all for the answers so far.
The bikes in the current rotation are all in the same position. The aggravated knee actually stems from going back to tennis and squash lately and jumping in a little too enthusiastically. Hence a nagging knee issue. The tights I have now are not windproof material, which is indeed less flexible. The bibs are a thick winter weight though with a straight cut so the knee comes under pressure on the upstroke. I also think the stirrup straps at the foot are causing the leg fabric to be pulled even tighter lengthwise, causing more unnecessary pressure on the knee.
Bib shorts and warmers don't cut it here at this time of year due to the cold and moreover the consistent wind chill and resulting wind chill factor.
I was not aware that the Castelli Sorpasso had a articulated knee - it certainly looks like it does from web pictures. It also does not have stirrups, which is good. I'll check that one out - it would go nicely with the Espresso Tre jacket I am using... :D
Thanks for the suggestion on Exte Ondo, NealH. It is exceptionally well made stuff. I could never find sizes that fit me properly in that brand in the past. I was always somehow between sizes and eventually gave up on them.
Any other brands and models to consider are welcome. Thanks again.

HammerTime2
Location: Wherever there's a mountain beckoning to be climbed

by HammerTime2

Have you considered cutting off the stirrup straps on your current bib tights? What good are they? You'll have to answer that for yourself. You've already concluded they are causing more unnecessary pressure on the knee.

hasbeen

by hasbeen

I will 2nd or 3rd or 4th the Castelli line of cold weather gear. I love the fit of the Sorpasso tights.
Casati Vola SLi and Dolan Preffisio
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=108931" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;"
btompkins0112 wrote:
It has the H2 geo......one step racier than a hybrid bike

voodoojar

by voodoojar

Some of my tights cause me knee issues as well. I have a pair of Craft storm bib tights that I've been wearing that seem not to irritate my knee.

Stolichnaya

by Stolichnaya

OK, the local shops seem to carry clothing from Craft, Castelli, Campagnolo, Gore, etc.
I will check out the Craft stuff as well. Gore is usually nice, no frills stuff that lacks sex appeal but functions well and lasts a long time.

HammerTime2, I have ridden the current bibs with the stirrups off and they bunched up there. The bibs are at the end of their product life span, so taking a set of scissors to them is not such a bad idea. The lack of a zipper and ankle grippers is an issue that will be solved with the nxt pair.

The Sorpasso still tops the list for now. But I saw a set from X-Bionic that seems absurdly articulated around the knee. I question how warm this X-Bionic woven fabric can be though. Anyone have experience their bibs?

Powerful Pete
Location: Lima, Peru and the Washington DC area - it's complicated.

by Powerful Pete

No idea on the other brands, but the Castelli sorpasso are great tights. The Wind version (I think that is what it's called) is a heavier version of the Sorpasso with the same fit that I have been using down to around -5C with no ill effects. The regular Sorpasso bibs are better for above zero temps.
Road bike: Cervelo R3, Campagnolo Chorus/Record mix...
Supercommuter: Jamis Renegade...
Oldie but goodie: De Rosa Professional Slx, Campagnolo C-Record...
And you can call me Macktastik Honey Pete Kicks, thank you.

Svetty

by Svetty

Latest Assos tights are cut/designed to ensure no limitations on knee flexion without compromising on wind proofing. I've had mine since Xmas and they are simply awesome. Not cheap but warm and comfortable.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com