Ultrasonic Parts Cleaner

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

ITTY

by ITTY

Hello all.

I was wondering if anyone had any recommendations for an affordable, yet effective ultrasonic parts cleaner. I want to use it mainly for chains but I might experiment with other things. I'm thinking one designed for jewelry would be about right.

Anyone have any experience with these?
Moloko Plus 6.24 kg

"We haven't located us yet"

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Getter

by Getter

Shop I used to work at has a mechanic that used an ultrasonic cleaner and chemical wash. Chains, cassettes, rings. Parts would come out looking as clean as can be. It does strip off all residue...including lubricants. So if you put in a part that has moving parts like a derailleur...make sure you lube it properly before using it.

Some bikes that would come in for service are so nasty. Its nice to be able to put some of those gunked up parts into the cleaner and have it come out looking like new.

Lol...I had a chain that got the full salon treatment. It got an ultrasonic clean, laid out to dry, warmed up with a heat gun and lubed.

ITTY

by ITTY

Ooh I totally forgot about cassettes. I'd love to be able to drop my gunky stuff in there and do something else while I wait. (ride another bike maybe?)

nathanong87, I would never use a toothbrush to try and get a chain or cassette completely clean, but you were just joking, right?
Moloko Plus 6.24 kg

nathanong87
Resident master of GIF

by nathanong87

ITTY wrote:nathanong87, I would never use a toothbrush to try and get a chain or cassette completely clean, but you were just joking, right?

yea it was a joke. toothbrushes are 'ultrasonic' these days lol

FilmAt11

by FilmAt11

I used an inexpensive harborfreight cleaner (~$35USD) with a 50/50 Simplegreen/water mix for chain, cassette, and brakes. Chain took 2 rounds of 3 minutes to get squeaky clean.

ms6073

by ms6073

I am thinking one should be careful with Simple Green as my experience has been that over exposure also etches the finish off things like chain links/plates.
- Michael
"People should stop expecting normal from me... seriously, we all know it's never going to happen"

mdeth1313

by mdeth1313

Yeah, way back I had a chain snap while out riding. At the time I was soaking them in simple green to clean them. Switched over to the orange cleaner and/or goof off (which is pretty potent stuff) and haven't had a problem since.
Speedplay is the devil!

WheresWaldo
in the industry

by WheresWaldo

I have two of the Harbor Freight ultrasonic cleaners. The first one was the really cheap non-heated unit. It has worked for years and still does. I do have to run a chain though more cycles of cleaner with cold water/solvent mix. Then a couple of years ago I bought the one that also heats the solution. it works better and I can use less cleaner. There are some things that still need either a very good wiping off or even a brush to come clean. A Park Tool or Pedros Cassette Brush will work to get stuff really stuck on the cogs then a trip through the Ultrasonic and then a clean water rinse in the Ultrasonic before drying and everything is as clean (actually cleaner) than new.

ITTY

by ITTY

Thanks for the tips everybody. I'll try and make sure I get a heated unit. ms6073, do you have a recommendation to replace Simple Green for use as a solvent?
Moloko Plus 6.24 kg

WheresWaldo
in the industry

by WheresWaldo

ITTY, any of the ZEP products will work (Avialable at HomeDepot and Sams Club), if you must use Costco, they sell Simple Green. Remenber to use at least one cycle with clean water to remove all the degreaser.

Personally I use Dawn dishwashing liquid. It works as well as any of the other degreasers and is environmentally friendly, it smell pretty too! Again rinse in clean water and blow dry. Allow the chain to completely dry then lube it with your favorite lube.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com