Latest Garmin speed and cadence sensors, what do we think?

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

MartyWild

by MartyWild

Anyone want to post pictures of their new sensors fitted on their bikes? :mrgreen:

dolophonic

by dolophonic

the wheel- speed sensor looks ugly from what i remember... why do you need that if you have a garmin.. mine works fine without one..
Im sure they add weight :lol:

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

kode54

by kode54

^^^ ditto. i had the new sensors, but like others have said, they are ugly. the cadence sensor also ugly with the bands to hold it. i had mine snug, but it fell off on a ride somewhere. i think i may have hit a pothole or some combination of hitting it with shoe and bootie combo that there wasn't enough clearance with the bands holding it on. i am riding without both and just using data from Garmin Edge GPS.
- Factor Ostro VAM Disc
- Factor LS Disc
- Specialized Aethos Disc
- Sturdy Ti Allroad Disc
- Guru Praemio R Disc

ave

by ave

WheresWaldo,
>"Cadence comes from my Power2Max."
Did you try to compare the cadence values with the GSC10? The power2max is very slow in responding to changes. Not much problem for many, I'm sure, but worth noting.
I use the cadence signal to syncronize my action camera videos with the Garmin's data.

WheresWaldo
in the industry

by WheresWaldo

@ave, haven't compared but I ride by feel and pretty much can tell you my cadence within +-5 rpm, which is good enough for me. I know at what cadence I start bouncing on the pedals, and I can definitely tell when I am lumbering along. How do you use your cadence to sync your action cams, curious?

ave

by ave

It's audible on the video when I do pedal. I do a coarse sync based on GPS on a slow corner, then find the closest pedalling break to make the sync perfect. Of course the cadence signal is still delayed with the GSC too, so it shows 0 for a bit while pedalling and shows 100 while I'm already coasting, but it's quite easy to find out how big the delay is.

WheresWaldo
in the industry

by WheresWaldo

Okay, I understand, you are actually listening for the sound of the chain and or the freehub engagement to sync. For some reason I thought it was something else. Personally I use GPS coordinates, since both my Garmin and Contour+ record the GPS track. Although now I am using a Sony HDR-AZ1 and if I want a GPS track other than Garmin I have to use the LiveView Remote 2 which has GPS in the remote not the camera.

Dirty32

by Dirty32

So what do those with Giant Ridesense, or the Bontrager Duo Trap type systems think of these?

Do they then become redundant and not required, or would people still bother purchasing these either way?

jvanv8

by jvanv8

I've always struggled to grasp the benefits of these Garmin sensors.
I suppose if you need cadence and have no other way of measuring it then the cadence sensor makes sense.
As for the speed sensor, the only time I've felt the need for it was in long tunnels or really big mountains where the mountain itself blocks the GPS satellites. Is this the reason for the speed sensor?
AX Vial Evo: 4970g
Addict SL : 5235g
My Cycling Blog
Strava: Wayward Cyclist

jekyll man

by jekyll man

Its surprising how many times you lose GPS signals during a ride (trees etc),you know full well you aren't doing 2mph, then the next minute you suddenly appear to be doing 20.
if you use strava or whatever,it connects the points where it did have a signal and makes an average, which could be nowhere near the reality.

GPS speeds no good on the turbo for doing roll down tests either :wink:
Official cafe stop tester

MartyWild

by MartyWild

^^^^^^As above, more consistent/reliable than the GPS speed reading and works on the Turbo.

djconnel

by djconnel

Robert Chung's test is the best I've seen for speed and cadence. If I divide speed by cadence at each time point, I get effective rolling radius of the wheel multiplied by gear ratio. So if I can see discrete levels doing this, with the exception of when I coast or during shifts, each level corresponding to a possible gear ratio, then speed and cadence are self-consistent. If I can't see such discrete levels (with the cited exceptions) then there's "noise" in either cadence or speed.

Raineman

by Raineman

jvanv8 wrote:I've always struggled to grasp the benefits of these Garmin sensors.

It is the consistancy that I find better than gps, I've seen my speed vary by up to 2kph despite using the same cadence and gear using just gps. With the sensor it just works every time. Also, it works on the turbo.

knef

by knef

Without the speed sensor i get spikes of 70km/h on training rides with bad reception, where I was definately going slow :)

jvanv8

by jvanv8

Is this 'spike' issue more common with certain Edge models? It would drive me crazy too.
AX Vial Evo: 4970g
Addict SL : 5235g
My Cycling Blog
Strava: Wayward Cyclist

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com