Latest Garmin speed and cadence sensors, what do we think?

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

MartyWild

by MartyWild

Did a search and couldn't find much talk of them on the forum, does anyone have experience with the new magnet free sensors?

DC Rainmaker seems to like them but perhaps they are not as accurate as the trustee GSC10?!

http://www.dcrainmaker.com/2014/05/garm ... nsors.html

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Miller

by Miller

Dunno about accuracy but I think the sensor wrapped round the rear hub is very ugly.

WheresWaldo
in the industry

by WheresWaldo

May be ugly, but not any less than a GSC-10. I have had mine a few months and they work. Are they as accurate as the standard, I couldn't say since I only use the speed sensor. Cadence comes from my Power2Max. Speed sensor is only used when there's no GPS signal. On a black hub you won't even remember it's there. While your moving no one will ever see it. It is much less obvious than the GSC-10.

Sent from my GT-I9505G using Tapatalk

bangkok

by bangkok

Ditto ... I use the new style Garmin speed on the rear hub, with cadence from P2M.

I note that the hub mount does not require any adjustment when swapping wheels from low to high profile; as was required in adjusting the arm for the GSC10. It swaps easily and works fine.

I've happily abandoned Garmin bike PC's and forced use internet/www.Garmin to control what should remain as my own PC data .... but they do nice sensors and hats off to them for these.

uraqt

by uraqt

I have the cadence sensor, and attach it to my shoe. It looks like it works, but I don't have anyway to test/prove it.. I kinda trust DC rainmaker when it come to verification and reviews...

C

WheresWaldo
in the industry

by WheresWaldo

@uraqt, clever use of the cadence sensor, but may I ask how and why you thought of it?

dofman

by dofman

Speed sensor works flawlessly, but not so much for the cadence. Very slow to start working, it doesn't get detected that easily most of the time ..

spdntrxi

by spdntrxi

Speed sensor on the front for me... cadence on arm... no issues with both.
2024 BMC TeamMachine R
2018 BMC TImeMachine Road
2002 Moots Compact-SL
2019 Parlee Z0XD - "classified"
2023 Pivot E-Vault

MartyWild

by MartyWild

Thanks a lot guys, some food for thought here. I'm building up a new bike and will need another set one way or the other. Must say I'm leaning towards the old school classic device. It's half the price here in the UK too.

DC Rainmaker is a legend, his reviews are next level.

dton13

by dton13

WheresWaldo wrote:@uraqt, clever use of the cadence sensor, but may I ask how and why you thought of it?

My Wahoo RPM magnet-less cadence sensor comes with a shoe attachment for that exact reason. No change in settings are required telling me that it should work fine for the garmin as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tqubed

by Tqubed

I bought these sensors for my commuter bike and also use them when I rent a bike while out of town. They seem to work as advertised and I don't notice any difference in accuracy from the integrated sensors on my high end road bike.

chipomarc

by chipomarc

You could just install Garmin Vector PM and forget about the other sensors

Dirty32

by Dirty32

Yeah... I guess you could spend $1k + for the Vector PM, rather than the $50 odd for the Garmin sensors...!
I guess we can all order Colnago's / Bianchi's / Pinarello's (insert fav high end bike here) while we are at it.

Enquiring about sensors for cadence & speed and Powermeters are 2 completely seperate things, I would think!

eric01

by eric01

Been running the new ones for a couple months now. Works without issue for me. I think less ugly than old version but that's only difference I notice

Specialized Tarmac Sworks SL6, Moots Compact, Carl Strong Titanium

kkibbler

by kkibbler

I have used mine for a couple of months, love them both. Speed is flawless, cadence is flawless except for waking up after 1 or 2 rotations. I love not having to faff about with zip ties and magnets and that little sensor arm. In my opinion the whole package looks 100x better than the GSC10.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com