New yearly segment results on Strava

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

Miller

by Miller

I think it is a good idea. It doesn't take too long before any segment leaderboard looks pretty static and where's the fun in that. Who knows how trustworthy the top results are anyway. Better to clear it out from time to time, besides, there is still the all-time leaderboard.

There's a parallel here with the hour record. For any given set of rules the record ends up on the shelf and interest wanes. So reset the rules to suit the current climate and it's game on again.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Tinea Pedis

by Tinea Pedis

I get more of a kick out of getting a result (and the work leading to it) when I know I'm well in to the pointy end of the 'diminishing returns' chart, but then I'm now not Strava's target audience. So agree, the idea is a good one.

That said, there are still some basic integrations that Strava could be adding (like a 'cat' system to auto filter riders results) that would also add to the appeal of the results pages.

fromtrektocolnago

by fromtrektocolnago

I think its good idea. By having a metric that is of the current year you have a relevant benchmark and also provide an incentive to those who rode well in the past to keep it up. And as far as any ride generating a KOM in 2015 this will quickly go away especially in heavily cycled routes.

Recently I've started to compare my rides segments against those that have ridden them that day, month , year to see how I might measure up statistically since I do not have race results. The 2015 KOM is similar.
Colnago C-59 (Dura Ace)
Firefly(Ultegra)
Colnago C-64 disc(ultegra) with Bora 35 wheels

MartyWild

by MartyWild

Tinea Pedis wrote:I get more of a kick out of getting a result (and the work leading to it) when I know I'm well in to the pointy end of the 'diminishing returns' chart, but then I'm now not Strava's target audience. So agree, the idea is a good one.

That said, there are still some basic integrations that Strava could be adding (like a 'cat' system to auto filter riders results) that would also add to the appeal of the results pages.

I messaged Strava to the same effect when the Pros smashed the leader boards in the 2012 games etc, they said something was in the pipeline. God, I hope this wasn't it.

seanblurr

by seanblurr

Dude, its strava. Who cares? Obviously a pro is going to be faster them me on a "strava segment".
Instagram @seanblurr

jimborello

by jimborello

The age group Koms would be a nice touch to keep old dudes interested!

jimwhimpey

by jimwhimpey

Strava's been around long enough that most KOMs were set with perfect weather conditions and a perfect lead out so I think this is a nice idea.

I think of the overall leaderboards as world records and annual leaderboards as world championships. The world record is prestigious but you're really competing to beat who's fastest *now*.

I think there's a lot of shortcomings in the implementation. The logic Strava uses for surfacing achievements in the feed seems super broken, showing random PRs instead of top 10s. And it's crazy that the "trophy case" shows the completion of a Festive 500 instead of you top 10 leaderboard results.