2015 On the road today...

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

Nefarious86

by Nefarious86

Adventure time!!!
Using Tapatalk

Sir Rides a Lot

by Sir Rides a Lot

GASer wrote:A few (edited) pics from latest excursions.

Lost worlds

The wall

Deserted

wow, stunning. where's that?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

GASer

by GASer

Sir Rides a Lot wrote:
wow, stunning. where's that?

Lost worlds is a village called Sfentili in Heraklion of Crete that was sacrificed due to a dam construction.

The Wall are the ruins of a roman aqueduct in ancient Lyctos close to Heraklion in Crete.

Deserted was shot in Al Qudra cycling path in Dubai.

:o)
Trek SpeedConcept 9.9 Project One, Basso Diamante SV, DeRosa SK (sold), Orbea Orca Gold 6430gr, Orbea Aqua, Tommasini Tecno, FM-066SL 6480gr, Kinesis RaceLight T2, Trek Superfly 100, Orbea Alma 29, Specialized Enduro S-Works 29, KTM EXC-250

basilic

by basilic

I saw this show on swiss tv - about the St Gotthard pass. If you have ridden it, or plan to, you may enjoy it. How the road crew takes 3 wks to clear the road in the spring, drilling through 5m of snow. The old lady who sells sausages at the top (she has traveled 12 times to india, also africa and australia). The farmer who was born there. The old guys on their motorcycles, the manager of the hotel. Real local characters. best if you understand french, or italian. It really starts at min 4.45. I've cycled there a few times but this makes me want to go back soon.
http://www.rts.ch/emissions/passe-moi-les-jumelles/6587646-les-dessus-du-gothard.html

wingguy

by wingguy

And just think of all the people stuck in the dark, stinky, fume filled tunnel instead! :P Could well be moving to that region this summer, my legs are itching just thinking about it 8)

TImeMachine

by TImeMachine

basilic wrote:I saw this show on swiss tv - about the St Gotthard pass. If you have ridden it, or plan to, you may enjoy it. How the road crew takes 3 wks to clear the road in the spring, drilling through 5m of snow. The old lady who sells sausages at the top (she has traveled 12 times to india, also africa and australia). The farmer who was born there. The old guys on their motorcycles, the manager of the hotel. Real local characters. best if you understand french, or italian. It really starts at min 4.45. I've cycled there a few times but this makes me want to go back soon.
http://www.rts.ch/emissions/passe-moi-les-jumelles/6587646-les-dessus-du-gothard.html

Hey Basilic

How are the Alps this time of year in your region? We are possibly looking to drive out to Morzine at the beginning of May in order to climb Avoriaz and the Joux Plane (road bikes), is there still snow on the roads at the summits do you know or is it clear now? How about ice? I keep a watch on the temps out there and see its been reasonably warm on some days in the valley (22c?) of Morzine.

We are also going to go out in July / August, I can't wait, it such an awesome location and seeing your pics in this thread make me want to go back NOW! :D

Thanks

basilic

by basilic

TimeMachine, many roads in Haute Savoie are open now, it's not very high. You can ride up Joux-Plane from Samoëns now, but the road connecting to col de Ranfolly is not cleared. I don't know about Ranfolly from Morzine; the road is on a North slope. Ramaz and Colombière usually open in May. Even now you can ride up Colombière to about 3 km from the top, from both sides. Col de la Pierre carrée (accès to Flaine), Joux-Verte, Aravis, Saisies, Croix-Fry, Plaine-Joux are all open now, and any road below 1200m. You'll be fine in May.
There will be no ice anywhere, but some roads that are officially closed to cars can be covered in rocks/gravel from the snowmelt (only the small roads). The main hazard in the spring is fresh gravel from fixing road cracks, in Hte-Savoie they just pour some hot asphalt and dump buckets of gravel over it - done, let cars smooth the road. Cheap bastards, it spoils the descents. They have already started the other day above Samoëns.
In the summer, why not head to central Switzerland? the higher cols - Gothard, Nufenen, Furka, Susten, etc, and my favorite Grosse Scheidegg - are really something else.

djm

by djm

Not having any form, not having a good day.. Makes racing hurt :-)

Samuel Sanchez Gonzalez

by Samuel Sanchez Gonzalez

Not in form? Come on you spent half winter in Spain :)

nathanong87
Resident master of GIF

by nathanong87

3rd in p123 field , 80 mile road race, about 78 racers. Podium we were missing 2nd so i stood second just for the picture. hehe.

djm

by djm

Samuel Sanchez Gonzalez wrote:Not in form? Come on you spent half winter in Spain :)

By mid February I'd done three weeks+ in Spain, but only gotten in six rides.... Bronchitis hit me hard the first period in Gran Canaria, returned home early, and then my training partner on Mallorca plowed me down from behind and I was out for a while.. :-) Excuses are like asses.. And then I had three months of illness with mycoplasma pneumoniae in the fall ;-/

I just need to race more though, and these ten days in Vlaanderen have been fun despite the complete lack of success in races :-)

Samuel Sanchez Gonzalez

by Samuel Sanchez Gonzalez

Oops! Hope you recover well season is flying already late april! Might have fresh legs this summer when others will fade ;) ;)

Norregard

by Norregard

Amstel Gold Race cyclosportive on saturday!

Timo

by Timo

After a quiet breakfast I realized that the weather today was too good to ignore, especially with the forcasts for the weekend being terrible. What started as a short trip ended as an accidental "centrury": 158 km over Zaandam - Purmerend - Hoorn - Enkhuizen - the 29 km dike from Enkhuizen to Lelystad then on to Muiden and back to Amsterdam...

And if I ever meet an aardvark, I'm going to step on its damn protruding nasal implement until it couldn't suck up an insect if its life depended on it.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Rondje

by Rondje

Now that's familiar grounds for me! Nice pictures. I live 2/3 km away from the Lelydijk (Enkhuizen side). Did you ride the dijk from Hoorn to Enkhuizen or followed the cycling lane next to the "provinciale weg"? (and can i guess that picture 5 is taken around that area somewhere near Venhuizen?)