2015 On the road today...

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

euph

by euph

Near the top of the Lot Valley in the south of France.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

prendrefeu

by prendrefeu

53x12 wrote:SoCal smog. Yuck... Nice picture otherwise.

Actually that isn't smog. LA's air quality hasn't been bad in a long, long time.
What you're seeing is two fold:
We have an inversion layer, which most people think is smog, because of the proximity between a very large body of water and some quite tall mountains surrounding most of the "urban" areas (San Gabriels)
During the summer most mornings are also very foggy due to the accumulation of moisture in the valleys and basins, coming from a combination of that proximity to the ocean, heat taking water from a massive watershed (most of LA's buildings are in one of a few huge watersheds, even during a drought there is a lot of water flowing beneath us), and of course high mountains trapping it all in.

So... yeah, not smog. :)

Smog? Go to Beijing or Mexico D.F. - THAT is smog.
Exp001 || Other projects in the works.

lrdunc

by lrdunc

^^ Still feels like smog sometimes! Though I know you're right. I always feel like the air in/around my area (West Hollywood) is gross. My buddy and I did Mandeville this morning before work and that still didn't feel great. Topanga / Old Topanga / Fernwood, on the other hand, always feel a lot cleaner to me.

Where do you live / ride most of the time?

nismosr

by nismosr

Mopho nice pictures ... are taken by a go pro ?
2020 Colnago C64 Mapei-SR12 EPS-WTO 60
2021 Basso Diamante SV-SR12 Disc EPS-WTO 60
2023 Colnago G3X-SRAM AXS Force-Levante

53x12

by 53x12

prendrefeu wrote:
53x12 wrote:SoCal smog. Yuck... Nice picture otherwise.

Actually that isn't smog. LA's air quality hasn't been bad in a long, long time.
What you're seeing is two fold:
We have an inversion layer, which most people think is smog, because of the proximity between a very large body of water and some quite tall mountains surrounding most of the "urban" areas (San Gabriels)
During the summer most mornings are also very foggy due to the accumulation of moisture in the valleys and basins, coming from a combination of that proximity to the ocean, heat taking water from a massive watershed (most of LA's buildings are in one of a few huge watersheds, even during a drought there is a lot of water flowing beneath us), and of course high mountains trapping it all in.

So... yeah, not smog. :)

Smog? Go to Beijing or Mexico D.F. - THAT is smog.

I wasn't talking about the white layer (right and upper portion of picture). I was looking at the yellowy/brown mess (center and center left). That is smog. Some of the same reason you guys get an inversion layer, is also why your smog is bad. LA in a low lying coast plain, surrounded by high mountains and deserts on the other side = air circulation is very limited as a result. When I have visited SoCal for business, as soon as I land at the airport and get outside, I can taste and smell the smog. It is immediate for me coming from outside the region.

I'm not making this up, you guys have the worse air quality in the country.

http://www.latimes.com/science/la-me-04 ... story.html

Btw, this wasn't a picture of Beijing or Mexico City. So couldn't make that comment. But I could make it for LA. Nice picture, but that smog is a bummer. :beerchug:
"Marginal gains are the only gains when all that's left to gain is in the margins."

lrdunc

by lrdunc

Just for some comparison here...

This one was taken from the same spot along Mulholland looking down at Universal City about a week ago (also early morning):

And this one was taken in Palos Verdes looking north toward Redondo Beach sometime in early January of this year (I think I posted it earlier in this thread):

My parents live in Redondo Beach and my dad rides, so I go down there pretty often to ride Palos Verdes with him. The air is much nicer along the water!

ross

by ross

I've driven hundreds of laps in my car, but this was my first time on the Nurburgring on a bike

Rain and strong winds delayed the start by 6 hours

But it made for a lovely sunset when the clouds cleared

Racing gets underway, we had teams of 4 so I had to wait a little before my first lap

It was dark by the time I got to Hohe Acht

Sunrise over the GP circuit, was very welcome after a cold, damp night

Lots of dew on my tent

Gaining confidence in the grip levels through the fast right hander at Aremberg followed by the long descent into the Foxhole during daylight hours, I hit my VMax on this - my third lap :) The entire first half of the lap on a bike is done without braking at all. I'm normally doing more than double this in a car through this section, but it feels fast enough on a bike

Karussell in the early morning sunshine, had to stop and take a photo. The sunlight was coming through the trees making the uphill ride very pleasant

Pflantzgarten I, my favourite section of track in a car - very technical and you can get airbourne here...but not on a bike!

Dottinge Hohe straight, the infamous gantry that marks the end of the unofficial timed laps on the tourist drives

Bit of spectating

Took the old girl up the castle

All sorts of bikes out there, there were concurrent 24hr MTB races and 24hr e-bike races too

We finished 2nd out of our groups 7x team entries so not bad, no idea overall.
Last edited by ross on Fri Jul 31, 2015 9:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

lrdunc

by lrdunc

Wow. Incredible! ^^^ :beerchug:

ross

by ross

Thank you, it was an amazing experience and I will definitely be going back next year

53x12

by 53x12

ross beautiful! I am really jealous. One of my dreams to ride around the Nürburgring on a bike and in a car. If you don't mind sharing, how much is entry into a bike event like that?
"Marginal gains are the only gains when all that's left to gain is in the margins."

MoPho

by MoPho

nismosr wrote:Mopho nice pictures ... are taken by a go pro ?

Yes, but I had to do a lot of work to them in post

Thanks!

Nefarious86

by Nefarious86

Back lasted 20km this morning. Not f#$king happy...
Using Tapatalk

ross

by ross

53x12 wrote:ross beautiful! I am really jealous. One of my dreams to ride around the Nürburgring on a bike and in a car. If you don't mind sharing, how much is entry into a bike event like that?

Thanks mate! I went as part of larger group run by Mission Motorsport who entered 7x 4 man teams and it was 250 euros for the weekend which included a cycling jersey, all catering & support during the event and a BBQ finish party. Had to take my own tent & sleeping bag etc. Accommodation and breakfast added another 50 euros per night either side. Totally beautiful area of the world to ride and some tough climbs!

djm

by djm

ImageImageImage

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

wingguy

by wingguy

My new local! 8)

Just go pro screen grabs for now but I'm going to get something to do it more justice