2015 'PRO' cycling discussion

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

Mr.Gib

by Mr.Gib

pastronef wrote:green light for disc brakes from next year.

curious about them. if they stay, big change in the market.

I think the pros are going to hate them, particularly how they affect wheel builds. Yeah they may like them when descending in the rain, but there is something I just don't like about watching my front wheel wind up and collapse to the left when I grab the brakes hard. Maybe I just haven't found the right disc wheelset yet, but none that I have tried handle as well as my regular wheels in aggressive cornering and braking.

And for the rest of us non-pros, complicated, expensive, heavy, shitty chain lines, and not aero.
Last edited by Mr.Gib on Thu Nov 26, 2015 6:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
wheelsONfire wrote: When we ride disc brakes the whole deal of braking is just like a leaving a fart. It happens and then it's over. Nothing planned and nothing to get nervous for.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Mr.Gib

by Mr.Gib

:noidea:
wheelsONfire wrote: When we ride disc brakes the whole deal of braking is just like a leaving a fart. It happens and then it's over. Nothing planned and nothing to get nervous for.

Rondje

by Rondje

What is Sagan doing in the Netherlands or Belgium at this time of the year, exploring the classic routes?

Ghastly

by Ghastly

Newspapers write that he's following a 7 days injury-prevention-program with a doctor and a physiotherapist...

wingguy

by wingguy

spud wrote:that prologo does have a marked kick up at the rear - suspiciously like a Romin.

PAS versions of the Nago evo and Scratch 2 both have a pronounced kick up at the tail as well.

BdaGhisallo

by BdaGhisallo

KWalker wrote:
The most interesting thing is the rider who uses custom carbon bars with 1 side 2cm narrower than the other.

Don't leave us hanging like that! I recall a spanish rider on Cofidis some years back (his name escapes me) having a strange looking custom bar with the reach on one side shorter than the other to compensate for some biomechanical oddity.

Kermithimself

by Kermithimself

It will definately be interesting seeing how the pros react to disc brakes. My guess is that a lot will remain with the traditional rimbraking, while others may choose to try the new kid in the class.
------------
If you dream of being famous - think of what birds do to statues.
Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/kermithimself/
Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCdCPaXwpeXT_LpuEF0REjqw
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/gotlegscycling/

pastronef

by pastronef

BdaGhisallo wrote:
KWalker wrote:
The most interesting thing is the rider who uses custom carbon bars with 1 side 2cm narrower than the other.

Don't leave us hanging like that! I recall a spanish rider on Cofidis some years back (his name escapes me) having a strange looking custom bar with the reach on one side shorter than the other to compensate for some biomechanical oddity.

Bingen Fernandez?

L3X

by L3X

Rondje wrote:What is Sagan doing in the Netherlands or Belgium at this time of the year, exploring the classic routes?

He has some close friends living in NL as well...

pastronef

by pastronef

will we see this new Bollè road helmet on Ag2r or Orica riders in 2016?

http://www.cyclingweekly.co.uk/news/lat ... lid-194678

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

Kermithimself wrote:It will definately be interesting seeing how the pros react to disc brakes. My guess is that a lot will remain with the traditional rimbraking, while others may choose to try the new kid in the class.

They will adjust to whatever their sponsors tell them to ride, personal preference takes a backseat to sponsor promotion at that level.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

UpFromOne

by UpFromOne

LOL, the champ isn't actually using that pump, just standing by it.

BTW, when they get going with disc wheels, something is going to have to be done about the precision needed for rotor placement & material widths. Not all rotors are the same thickness, and we are going to see much more cursing from riders. Harder to adjust a disc than a rim brake.

BdaGhisallo

by BdaGhisallo

pastronef wrote:
BdaGhisallo wrote:
KWalker wrote:

Bingen Fernandez?

Actually I think it was Luis Perez, if my memory serves me well.

KWalker

by KWalker

Weird, all pros that have raced them have been very, very enthusiastic about them.
Don't take me too seriously. The only person that doesn't hate Froome.
Gramz
Failed Custom Bike

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

mentok

by mentok

UpFromOne wrote:BTW, when they get going with disc wheels, something is going to have to be done about the precision needed for rotor placement & material widths. Not all rotors are the same thickness, and we are going to see much more cursing from riders. Harder to adjust a disc than a rim brake.

yeah, this is really my only issue at the moment. i swap between road wheels and cross wheels on my cx bike so i can use it as a commuter during the week and it always requires a quick adjustment. different hubs and different rotors so to be expected i guess.

I always figure it's the same issue when you swap rear wheels and the wheels don't have the same hubs so the cassettes aren't perfectly aligned so you need to tweak gears but in that case you've got a barrel adjuster.

I wonder, has anyone actual done any testing to see how many watts are lost to a rubbing disc brake?