2015 'PRO' cycling discussion

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

+1 @tymon_tm
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

djm

by djm

But would they be able to race in the same division as Vino 4-ever?

UCI states there has been made no decision yet.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

ultyguy

by ultyguy

Confirmation by Lapierre that they provide stronger lay-ups for the pros on the Aircode.
FDJ.fr’s sprinters, however, enjoy the luxury of custom lay-ups, Gribaudo reveals, both in the Aircode and the Xelius, such is the additional power they are likely to produce.
http://rouleur.cc/journal/bicycles/desi ... e-ultimate

djconnel

by djconnel

A bit harsh on the riders + employees of Astana.... I understand demotion to the 2nd tier, but to kick the team out of 1st tier leaving only the option of 3rd tier.... ouch.

It's not like suspending a rider -- that just affects the rider (well, and his family, any support he may have personally hired, etc). Teams are a different matter. Has new information become available since last year when this decision could have been made?

Also I hope on the "extreme conditions" rules they differentiate between stage races and one-days. If in a one day the rider decides to drop out he loses the chance to get a result in that one-day race, the same lost opportunity if the race were canceled. But in a stage race if a stage is canceled you lose the chances to score in that stage, but if you drop out you additionally lose the chance to score in all subsequent stages and the final classifications. So the stakes are much higher in a stage race. Dropping out is essentially not an option.
Last edited by djconnel on Mon Mar 30, 2015 2:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

HammerTime2
Location: Wherever there's a mountain beckoning to be climbed

by HammerTime2

Is it possible for a Continental team to get a wildcard invitation to TdF?

djm

by djm

If it is, hasn't the ASO spent all its wildcards? And what would make you think they really want Astana in the race in the first place?

Rondje

by Rondje

If Astana gets dropped out (big IF since De Telegraaf isn't the most reliable source) the protour then there is a new slot for a team at the TDF right? So unless they ride with 1 team less it's wouldn't surprise me if they give a extra team a wildcard.

About the continental teams, I'm not sure. I can't remember any continental team joining a world-tour event. As far as I know continental teams don't have blood passports so based on that I think they aren't aloud to get wildcards.

HillRPete

by HillRPete

djconnel wrote:A bit harsh on the riders + employees of Astana.... I understand demotion to the 2nd tier, but to kick the team out of 1st tier leaving only the option of 3rd tier.... ouch.

Agreed. In any case there will be some court action before the last word is spoken. Cookson happily commenting on how Astana are "drinking in the last chance saloon" etc does not help either, when the licensing commission is formally independent of the UCI director.

Or, the UCI/auditors have found a "smoking gun". Given the Katusha debacle I think they must have something substantial in hand before withdrawing the license, to repeat embarrassment.

djconnel

by djconnel

H0RSE wrote:
djconnel wrote:It's only March -- barely past pre-season. Cannondale has plenty of time.

Only March, are you kidding?
March, August, September, what's the difference?
Don't know about you but season is in full swing. Unless perhaps your season is just a single week in July where everyone's peaked.

I said "barely past" pre-season, not "still pre-season".

Paris-Nice and Tirreno Adriatico are really the first two top races of the year, with Milan - San Remo the first monument. By the end of the year, Jan-Feb are almost totally forgotten. But mid-March through October are not.
Last edited by djconnel on Mon Mar 30, 2015 4:06 pm, edited 2 times in total.

petepeterson

by petepeterson

Not a big Vino or Astana fan but wow the hypocrisy. This is right up there with banning LA for life just because.

ultyguy

by ultyguy

You have to be minimum pro-conti (2nd division) to get a Grand Tour invite.

micky

by micky

If it's confirmed, Nibali can aim at Tour de Korea/Tour of Japan double.

sawyer

by sawyer

Paolini and Thomas certainly the men of the moment ... latter perhaps a bit tired yesterday, but taking nothing away from the beard ... must have felt damn good ripping through those last few km solo

Great advert for Canyon and even better one for Canondale - LOL ... big Jack Bauer looked disgusted with his rig yesterday!
----------------------------------------
Stiff, Light, Aero - Pick Three!! :thumbup:

munk93

by munk93

Ashepp wrote:Anyone else notice that Paolini was riding a mechanical groupset?

Paolini went through 2 aeroads yesterday. That is the 3rd one. He also said that the tyrepressure was to high for a smooth ride over the Kemmelberg.

xnavalav8r

by xnavalav8r

Has anyone else seen the photos of various carbon bikes floating in the canal?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com