2015 'PRO' cycling discussion

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

nathanong87
Resident master of GIF

by nathanong87

ok i stand corrected. ryder's was a hack job too. these mechanics man. this is some junk.

Tomstr

by Tomstr

lippythelion wrote:
KWalker wrote:overslammed

No such thing.

What Lippy said

As evidence here is Evans again, the godfather of Slam

I rest my case
Ride it like you stole it

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

nathanong87
Resident master of GIF

by nathanong87

holy moly that time machine looks like some futuristic battle tank

spdntrxi

by spdntrxi

I could absolutely not ride a bike like that for more then 5 min. My TM01 no where near resembles that.
2024 BMC TeamMachine R Building
2018 BMC TImeMachine Road
2002 Moots Compact-SL- getting aero look makeover
2019 Parlee Z0XD - "classified"
2023 Pivot E-Vault - completed project, full Xplr package

elSid

by elSid

It's already climbing almost 500m higher than the Col de La Bonette. The climb is also more than 40km long and starts at 2500m. To add elevation and length would be inhuman and potentially dangerous. It's one thing to climb that high for fun, quite another to race at that altitude.

The climb to loveland pass is not 40km (if that is what you meant...I'm not sure).

As someone else mentioned, this is hardly "inhuman and potentially dangerous," as higher Colorado roads are routinely ridden by thousands of amateur cyclists every summer weekend.

I know the VIP seating area is a consideration for the race planners, but in the case of Loveland pass, there is more than enough room at the summit for big seating areas, finish line banners, podium ceremonies, etc. Arapahoe Basin is a great ski area, but there is zero lodging, and only one bar, which is frequently closed in the summer. Point being, nobody is going to hang around for too long post-race, so why not move the finish line a few miles east to the summit?

I'm glad we have a race, and I'm not hoping that it fails, but this is, in my view, one if many examples where the planners seem to have gone out of their way to make the race less interesting.

wingguy

by wingguy

spdntrxi wrote:I could absolutely not ride a bike like that for more then 5 min. My TM01 no where near resembles that.

Ahh, it's all about height and proportion as well. Wiggins runs loads of stack on his TT machines but the position is poetry in motion.

That BMC was sick though. Extra points for what looks like a carbolifted Bora crank. 8)

HillRPete

by HillRPete

wingguy wrote:Wiggins runs loads of stack on his TT machines but the position is poetry in motion.

Just have to pick up on this. Wiggins character really grew on me over the years, liking how he has personality and attitude. But how he goes on about perfection on the bike, that's almost a bit too much https://vimeo.com/129665551

Froome on the other hand, the cool thing is he doesn't give a shit. He's just killing it on the bike. I like that as well, even though I'm not rooting for him otherwise.

wingguy

by wingguy

I hadn't seen that before, but tbh it doesn't matter what he says, the position speaks for itself. :wink:

hasbeen

by hasbeen

Cuddles has a very long arm span according to Cuddles. Cuddles always fought bar position issues it seemed but it was a physiology thing. Cuddles liked BMC cuz BMC hooked him up with frames that took his odd proportions into consideration. Cuddles.
Casati Vola SLi and Dolan Preffisio
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=108931" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;"
btompkins0112 wrote:
It has the H2 geo......one step racier than a hybrid bike

ultimobici
in the industry

by ultimobici

elSid wrote:The climb to loveland pass is not 40km (if that is what you meant...I'm not sure).

As someone else mentioned, this is hardly "inhuman and potentially dangerous," as higher Colorado roads are routinely ridden by thousands of amateur cyclists every summer weekend.

I know the VIP seating area is a consideration for the race planners, but in the case of Loveland pass, there is more than enough room at the summit for big seating areas, finish line banners, podium ceremonies, etc. Arapahoe Basin is a great ski area, but there is zero lodging, and only one bar, which is frequently closed in the summer. Point being, nobody is going to hang around for too long post-race, so why not move the finish line a few miles east to the summit?

I'm glad we have a race, and I'm not hoping that it fails, but this is, in my view, one if many examples where the planners seem to have gone out of their way to make the race less interesting.

The climb on the route starts at approx km 145 and finishes at km 186, that's 40km. It starts at just under 2500m rising to 3,300m. It's one thing to ride up a climb like that, quite another to race up it. All you'd get by climbing the full pass would be a procession. By limiting the altitude there's a good chance of a proper race.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sacke

by Sacke

hasbeen wrote:Cuddles has a very long arm span according to Cuddles. Cuddles always fought bar position issues it seemed but it was a physiology thing. Cuddles liked BMC cuz BMC hooked him up with frames that took his odd proportions into consideration. Cuddles.

Cuddles. Love Cuddles.

tranzformer

by tranzformer

ultimobici wrote:The climb on the route starts at approx km 145 and finishes at km 186, that's 40km. It starts at just under 2500m rising to 3,300m. It's one thing to ride up a climb like that, quite another to race up it. All you'd get by climbing the full pass would be a procession. By limiting the altitude there's a good chance of a proper race.

Na. Plenty of amateur riders can do similar.

Last edited by tranzformer on Thu Jul 30, 2015 11:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dereksmalls

by dereksmalls

Also the yellow Impec that Cadel had pictures with, but not sure he actually rodeon the last stage of the 2011

KWalker

by KWalker

The U.S. races are boring as hell in general, but ToU and USAPCCC have never once really been interesting in any way. Can't see them lasting for long.

Or wait, shit aren't those states close to CA? Tour of Western U.S.! Or just do Tour of the Rockies and put in tons of hard climbing days at altitude.
Don't take me too seriously. The only person that doesn't hate Froome.
Gramz
Failed Custom Bike

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

53x12

by 53x12

KWalker wrote:Or just do Tour of the Rockies and put in tons of hard climbing days at altitude.

We can't. ultimobici says it would be too dangerous to race at that high of altitude.
"Marginal gains are the only gains when all that's left to gain is in the margins."