2015 'PRO' cycling discussion

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

russianbear

by russianbear

Which male rider is the cutest? Fabian has my heart <3

efeballi

by efeballi

5DII wrote:which female rider do you guys think is the best looking?

Pauline Ferrand-Prévot. No question. World champion in three disciplines, MTB, CX and my heart.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
SHUT UP LEGS
2015 Giant Propel Advanced
2015 Cannondale Supersix Evo
2013 KTM Strada mod. (totaled)
2011 Pinarello Dogma 60.1(loaner)
2011 Scott SUB 45(sold)

Politecnico di Milano Ingegneria Meccanica

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Rob81

by Rob81

Giro Donne aka Giro Rosa is often interesting and a good show especially with stages finishing uphill, although 2015 race was so-so.
A "beauty" podium :idea: ?
Pauline Ferrand-Prévot, Tiffany Cromwell, Emily Batty (MTB)

martinko

by martinko

efeballi wrote:
5DII wrote:which female rider do you guys think is the best looking?

Pauline Ferrand-Prévot. No question. World champion in three disciplines, MTB, CX and my heart.

I confirm :)

Stefano

by Stefano

Haha +1 <3 Fabian

pastronef

by pastronef

I love Niewiadoma

wingguy

by wingguy

efeballi wrote:Pauline Ferrand-Prévot. No question. World champion in three disciplines, MTB, CX and my heart.

No mention of last year's road world championship?

nathanong87
Resident master of GIF

by nathanong87

deek wrote:
nathanong87 wrote:
wingguy wrote:Damn that's clean. 1x11 with the 53 as a machined out bashguard?

yea and apparently rollin' an inner 48t as his only ring. sick.

GCN says a 44T ring, not a 48T.

also from cross vegas , van der hole shot with a 48t big ring.
http://www.cxmagazine.com/lars-van-der- ... vegas-2015

efeballi

by efeballi

wingguy wrote:
efeballi wrote:Pauline Ferrand-Prévot. No question. World champion in three disciplines, MTB, CX and my heart.

No mention of last year's road world championship?

Meant the current state, she may not always be the reigning road world champion, but she will always be the world champion of my heart.

SHUT UP LEGS
2015 Giant Propel Advanced
2015 Cannondale Supersix Evo
2013 KTM Strada mod. (totaled)
2011 Pinarello Dogma 60.1(loaner)
2011 Scott SUB 45(sold)

Politecnico di Milano Ingegneria Meccanica

prendrefeu

by prendrefeu

:)
Exp001 || Other projects in the works.

KWalker

by KWalker

I've watched a lot of women's races and found them pretty dull. Locally and professionally. Fastest growing demographic doesn't matter if its still a lower demographic and, even then, how many of that demographic give a shit about watching racing or competing in it? Even for men relatively few cyclists actually race on a regular basis.

You're also being naive when you think that all males get paid soooooo much more. A hell of a lot of domestic pro men make the same or less than women on domestic pro teams. Ever see a rider get a good contract when they didn't perform the year before? They're often riding for royalties or maybe <$10k a year at most. A lot of women on UHC and Velocio make quite a bit more.

And yes, until the performance is on par with other professional events of the same type they shouldn't have the same anything. Its not sexist. I don't think most amateur and even less popular professional sports should be any different. Lower level pro sports, second division college sports, and second division auto racing all get less sponsor $$, airtime, etc. for the same reason. If women's racing was just as competitive and challenging then hell yah I could do with less mens events to watch it.

Pros are getting paid less for reasons other than gender equality or popularity. In the age of social media/the internet, sports sponsorship is a pretty poor investment especially in a sport that most people see as a chemical enhancement spectacle that is one embarrassing scandal over another with very little total airtime in many major markets. Just look at your example of the ASO and UCI- who on earth would want to sponsor a sport with that going on? Better off even putting money into other sports even if they're less corrupt because you'll get more visibility and better visibility out of it. But you're compounding 30 different points into 1, when those points are, in fact, spurious.
Don't take me too seriously. The only person that doesn't hate Froome.
Gramz
Failed Custom Bike

tymon_tm

by tymon_tm

109er wrote:Geez reading a lot of these posts about women's racing. Are a lot of you THAT sexist? You don't have to watch the races and you can just scroll over them if you don't care. But I challenge you to watch a professional women's race and not get somewhat interested. The worlds road race this year held my attention a lot longer than the guys did. Sure, I questioned a lot of the attacks and it was not up to par with the guys race. But it was actually exciting. I enjoyed it and yeah, I would pay to watch it if I had to. The women's tt was exciting too. *f##k*, it was all exciting! Women's mtb is awesome. Women's cyclocross is awesome. I would encourage anyone to download the RedBulltv app and watch the mtb races live or watch the recaps. It's pretty cool!

The guys races were a little more exciting at the same time though.

However, should women's races have less coverage...no. Should they be ran a shoestring budget? No. It's PAAAATHETIC when I hear about a girl or woman trying to go pro and when they do, they don't make shit. They make zero dollars. When their male counterpart gets paid. I would be pretty pissed if I had a different sexy part between my legs. Especially when the lady demographic is the fastest growing in the cycling industry.

What most people seem to miss is the problem is sport-wide. Professionals at the lower level are getting paid a lot less than they used to. TV coverage is better. Sponsorship dollars are really hard to come by though. Top teams are falling by the wayside while others are maintaining the status quo. There is nearly NO stability year after year. The ASO and RCS hold way too much power and the UCI cant or wont do much about it. The teams need to come together and figure it out....which they are. It's a slow process but stuff is getting done.......But what people don't seem to realize....we could improve the women's side along the way. And why not?

But I digress. This is the 'PRO' cycling discussion. Not the 'PROMEN' cycling discussion. If you want to talk about women's racing. Do it.

today it's mostly TV money that make a difference. HBO pays zillions and makes even more zillions on heavyweight boxing. TV contracts are also the foundament of many national football (soccer) leagues. I know, these are a lot more popular sports, but they didn't become cash spitting machines in one day.

right now it seems like the issue's with ASO. they have the status of the "biggest race in calendar" organizator, and no one seems to dare them. tASO isn't interested in any sort of change that could make their piece of the pie even tiny bit smaller (although the overall worth of that pie would probably grow a lot). there are talks about excluding ASO races from the calendar, I for one could easily imagine a year without the Tour. or even two if that's what it takes to shift things around. but apparently for most sponsors the Tour is the cycling, although I believe today we have the ability to market anything into everything we want. yes it takes balls, and a lot of money, but it's not impossible. as soon as we see the change in men's cycling (and the initial ideas from UCI look sort of OK) I believe there's a chance for women's cycling to follow.

there will never be strong women's cycling without prosperous men's cycling.
kkibbler wrote: WW remembers.

tymon_tm

by tymon_tm

pastronef wrote:
I love Niewiadoma

damn you sure have chosen a really gorgeous pic :wink:

here's a nicer one:

she kinda sorta reminds me of Niki Gudex..
kkibbler wrote: WW remembers.

davidalone

by davidalone

^ +1 ! yes niewadoma!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com