2015 'PRO' cycling discussion

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

kkibbler

by kkibbler

Is anyone else's Eurosport showing Fleche Wallone instead of LBL or just me???

Edit: Nvm, it's started

53x12

by 53x12

Lots of bad crashes today again. Need to keep a tally of crashes.
"Marginal gains are the only gains when all that's left to gain is in the margins."

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

tranzformer

by tranzformer

53x12 wrote:Not sure this is the weekend, but keep an eye on Julian Alaphilippe. Kid has a bright future.

53x12 wrote:I gotta go with Valverde. He has to be the favorite until he proves otherwise.

Nice calls 53!!!

gravity

by gravity

Crash fiesta at the back, but no party at the front either. Quite a boring race.

de zwarten

by de zwarten

Early start of the finale with hard racing and a very thrilling end.
Calling this boring gives you no hope for enjoying any future L-B-L.

53x12

by 53x12

gravity wrote:Crash fiesta at the back, but no party at the front either. Quite a boring race.

It was a great race. You must be new to pro cycling? The race was Valverde's to lose. He was stronger than everyone else (and has shown that in the Ardennes Classics. Gilbert isn't his 2011 self (not even pre BMC self). Nibali tried, but he didn't have the legs. Gerrans crashed out. Martin's bad luck continued by crashing again. Roche crashed out. Kwiatkowski didn't have the legs to win today. Rodriguez tried, but can't out sprint Valverde. Wasn't Rui Costa's or Gallopin's day.

Don't confuse Valverde's dominance as it being a boring race. Maybe he isn't the rider you wanted to win, but that doesn't make the race boring. Lots of great tactics at play during the last 20-30km of the race. I enjoyed it. But you calling it boring appears to me that you don't follow pro cycling outside of the TdF and don't enjoy the subtle tactics that win a race.
"Marginal gains are the only gains when all that's left to gain is in the margins."

hasbeen

by hasbeen

I enjoyed the race. Good tactics in the last 20k. Stybar and Katusha to be specific. Just didnt pay off for their teams.
Looks like we will be talking more about second place than first. What a race by him and coming up quick too.
Casati Vola SLi and Dolan Preffisio
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=108931" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;"
btompkins0112 wrote:
It has the H2 geo......one step racier than a hybrid bike

tymon_tm

by tymon_tm

apart from Valverde being extra strong as always, the field seems open this season. I quite like it that way, every race brings some surprises and is really entertaining to watch.

ps. see, KW, nothing doping related whatsover in this very comment
kkibbler wrote: WW remembers.

gravity

by gravity

53x12 wrote:It was a great race. You must be new to pro cycling? The race was Valverde's to lose. He was stronger than everyone else (and has shown that in the Ardennes Classics. Gilbert isn't his 2011 self (not even pre BMC self). Nibali tried, but he didn't have the legs. Gerrans crashed out. Martin's bad luck continued by crashing again. Roche crashed out. Kwiatkowski didn't have the legs to win today. Rodriguez tried, but can't out sprint Valverde. Wasn't Rui Costa's or Gallopin's day.

Don't confuse Valverde's dominance as it being a boring race. Maybe he isn't the rider you wanted to win, but that doesn't make the race boring. Lots of great tactics at play during the last 20-30km of the race. I enjoyed it. But you calling it boring appears to me that you don't follow pro cycling outside of the TdF and don't enjoy the subtle tactics that win a race.

Wow we have a different opinion and suddenly im new to procycling? This must have been THE joke of this thread :lol: It's a bit boring cos there seemed to be no attacks that deemed to be successful at all. Martin, Haas, Gerrans all weren't there in the final, Nibali attacked but ended prematurely, same like FW few days. Moreno last attack was just to poise the others to chase, not really for victory, we all know that dont pretend you dont cause apparently youre the expert in pro cycling and im not. Im pretty sure you must really proud by now. :smartass:

p/s I was rooting for Valverde.

wingguy

by wingguy

53x12 wrote:Not sure this is the weekend, but keep an eye on Julian Alaphilippe. Kid has a bright future.

How the hell did you pick that!? :P

Rondje

by Rondje

Isn't it like that in 90% ofl the races/stages that end with an uphill finish? If it is a long climb you get longer/more fireworks, if it is a short climb you get faster fireworks. Though the race was pretty fast today which might made it even harder for a long successful attack. And riders dit try to attack in earlier stages, the peloton just went to fast to stay ahead.

gravity

by gravity

wingguy wrote:How the hell did you pick that!? :P

Oh you didn't know? 53x12 is THE expert in pro cycling apparently. He must have been following pro cycling since forever. :lol:

Hey 53x12, can you predict who will win the Giro? :wink:

djconnel

by djconnel

Alaphillipe wasn't a particularly clever pick. He was 2nd @ Fleche Wallone and finished with the lead group @ Amstel. I had him 3rd (Martin-Valverde-Alaphillipe).

http://djconnel.blogspot.com/2015/04/li ... picks.html

Of course, Martin crashed, and there's not much I can do about that. He crashes a lot, and whiplash (not being able to look around with full motion) can't have helped, but in this case it was a big one and being in the wrong place at the wrong time meant you went off the road.

Unfortunately my 4th and 5th picks (Kwiatkowski, Gallopin) did me in. Both faded in the final kilometers. And I perpetually underestimate Katuscha. It must be the bike.

ultyguy

by ultyguy

At least we can be pretty sure this unapologetic Puerto rider didn't buy his LBL ;-)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

KWalker

by KWalker

dbecks7 wrote:It is not hard at all to lose quite a bit of weight in short periods. My own experience I can easily lose close to 15lbs in a month through a extreme caloric deficit (>1000 calories) as well as fasted cycling of around 20-30 miles of varying intensity levels. On top of this weight lifting 4-5 times/week and 4-5 days a week of running LISS and HIIT. I will usually combine all 3 (weight training, cycling and running) all whilst in a fasted state and eat all calories later in the day . I do not recommend this anyone not familiar with fasted style training nor not a fit individual, but literally the fat will melt off of me day to day with no lose of cycling performance or lose of muscle. As you can tell I don't like the typical methods of weight loss through gradual progression.

Anything to back this up? Rarely seen this work in practice and if its so easy and so effective, why wouldn't you recommend it?
Don't take me too seriously. The only person that doesn't hate Froome.
Gramz
Failed Custom Bike

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com