2015 'PRO' cycling discussion

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

KWalker

by KWalker

Oleg is basically making the argument for criterium racing, which draws quite a bit of fans at some of the Twilight/party oriented events, but even then people miss a lot of the action, fail to grasp the tactics, and the announcing/coverage is terrible. Maybe quality TV coverage could change that, but then we end up with pedal driven Nascar without the money or high speeds.
Don't take me too seriously. The only person that doesn't hate Froome.
Gramz
Failed Custom Bike

Wingnut

by Wingnut

nickl wrote:
Is this really the case? LeMond got $1M/year in the 80's. Sagan signed for $4M/year.

How many teams are sponsored by a bike manufacture and can't find a co-sponsor?

LeMond signed for $1M over three years with La Vie Claire... ;)

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

HillRPete

by HillRPete

KWalker wrote:Contador always looks a bit doughy and the same, but he rarely makes claims more than +/- a few kg.

Yeah, isn't it. Riders and media from english speaking countries seem to report the weight the most. At times it seems there is no report about a Sky rider having done well on CN, where weight is not mentioned.

Not that the same methods for weight control aren't used everywhere, but english media just seem to like talking about it more. As regards the "magic scales" comment, I could not agree more. It is beyond grasp to me how an elite athlete at their training workload can have so much "room for improvement" from one season to another.

Finally, regarding Tinkoff, seems he's reading the Inner Ring. Marketability/monetization of cycling races was a topic there some time ago, the issues are hardly new. The concept of leagues and the events calendar are just not very well defined. There is no concept of "home game" as in stadium based sports, etc. But people are reluctant to changes. (FWIW, athletics is in a much worse place)

mattr

by mattr

It might be that old chestnut about the difference between losing fat (not very dense, easy to see the change, massive impact on power to weight) and losing muscle (fairly dense, not ready to see unless you lose a lot (Wiggins a couple of years ago?) very marginal effect on power to weight).

I've got loads of fat to lose, if I lose muscle I'll struggle to get up the stairs....... Probably similar to most of you on here. And completely unlike any professional cyclist, excluding Ullrich of course. ;)

ico

by ico

Cycling should keep a distance of Tinkoff. He reminds me a someone who can't succeed as he planed, so he would like to create a "new sport" or better a "show" by his rules.
What a stupid idea to broadcast only the final of stages. Lets advice this to all of the sports on tv and show not the whole match but only goals, chances, knockouts etc. Another possibility is that he can write a film script to each of the races to look good on tv.
Cycling has to change, but please, not this way.

ultyguy

by ultyguy

Tinkoff will be out of cycling (again) by end 2015, probably due to financial difficulties.

maquisard

by maquisard

I agree on Tinkov, he will get bored or go bust and Riis will start up again from the ashes of his old team. If anything Riis is the winner in all this this as he got a sizeable chunk of Tinkov's money for his team. Which begs the question, what is the equity value in ANY cycling team except for the book value of it's assets... The success of a cycling team is very much a function of it's staff, both riders and support, and unless they have lock in periods in their contracts they can go elsewhere very quickly.

BdaGhisallo

by BdaGhisallo

Wingnut wrote:
nickl wrote:
Is this really the case? LeMond got $1M/year in the 80's. Sagan signed for $4M/year.

How many teams are sponsored by a bike manufacture and can't find a co-sponsor?

LeMond signed for $1M over three years with La Vie Claire... ;)

And signed for $1million per year with Roger Zannier and his Team Z (which was an evolution of the old Peugeot team that late evolved into Gan and Credit Agricole before closing down, ending a team structure that dated back to the beginnings of modern cycling) back in 1989 after his TdF and WC win, for the '90, '91 & '92 seasons.

Marin

by Marin

ico wrote:What a stupid idea to broadcast only the final of stages.

Umm, it's been like that for years already? Haven't seen a full stage in a long time, only the final 1.5 hrs.

Molotov

by Molotov

Why do you think Tinkov will be out of business ? His core business in Russia is doing just fine and is one of the most innovative banks in that market - I don't think money will be an issue. Frankly I don't think he lacks motivation either - he has been into cycling for a very long time and a man who put a team together in 90s Russia sure does have enough determination ...

Molotov

by Molotov

P.S. Any thoughts on JRod this year ? Really quiet so far ! Would be a shame if he doesn't get lucky and gets himself at least one GT win before he retires ...

Samuel Sanchez Gonzalez

by Samuel Sanchez Gonzalez

Molotov wrote:P.S. Any thoughts on JRod this year ? Really quiet so far ! Would be a shame if he doesn't get lucky and gets himself at least one GT win before he retires ...

I doubt he'll win a GT. He missed the cut in 2012 losing the Giro in the last ITT to Hesjedal, and the Vuelta to Contador after a wonder attack in a supposedly easy stage.

nathanong87
Resident master of GIF

by nathanong87

KWalker wrote:Contador always looks a bit doughy and the same, but he rarely makes claims more than +/- a few kg.

yea i recently thought this same sentiment when on a video the commentator said 'contador said he's feeling good , but also claims he's 1kg overweight'

bfno

by bfno

My vote for best April Fools goes to

Last edited by bfno on Wed Apr 01, 2015 12:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Venge | Shiv TT | Langster | Dogma 60.1 | CruX | Aeroad CF SLX (WIP)

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

jekyll man

by jekyll man

bfno wrote:Image

April 1st sense of humour??
Official cafe stop tester