2015 'PRO' cycling discussion

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

djconnel

by djconnel

The thing with Contador wasn't the Clembuterol, which could well have been food (there's been a number of clear food cases since), but the plasticizer.

nathanong87
Resident master of GIF

by nathanong87

kkibbler wrote:Can we talk about how smoothly Contador sorted out his dropped chain, on an incline, without clipping out, up and on his way with a push in about 4 seconds?

i was about to say something similar too. Never attempted to sort out a dropped chain, while still clipped in. but i'm going to try it haha. Lets hope i don't lose a finger.

also... nature break ... in the break?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

KWalker

by KWalker

In my first race of the year this year some junior kid peed his bibs on the first descent, then did the water trick. There was a lot of road spray and people were not stoked.
Don't take me too seriously. The only person that doesn't hate Froome.
Gramz
Failed Custom Bike

MarkGiardini

by MarkGiardini

I do that pee trick even not on my bike.
In fact, I just did it at my office desk.
KWalker wrote:chill out perv dogs, homegirl is still only 17.

elSid

by elSid

Liggero wrote:pretty sure is not enough. Read the 158pages pdf. I did it. WADA considered it "supplement contaminated most likely", and doping.

I believe you're referring to the CAS panel conclusion, not the WADA "158pages pdf." https://wada-main-prod.s3.amazonaws.com/resources/files/cas-2011-a-2384-contador.pdf

HillRPete

by HillRPete

djconnel wrote:The thing with Contador wasn't the Clembuterol, which could well have been food (there's been a number of clear food cases since), but the plasticizer.

Do you have any reference for that? I was firmly under the impression that while a lot of fuzz was made about the plasticisers, there was nothing in the rules about them, so they could not be used in the case against him. I also seem to remember having read that there was next to no research on plasticisers and how they might enter the body back then, and that they were used in many many more places than just blood bags, so the whole case was less than clear cut all around.

speeddemon

by speeddemon

MarkGiardini wrote:I do that pee trick even not on my bike.
In fact, I just did it at my office desk.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FA8gFxKjA9k

tymon_tm

by tymon_tm

Calnago wrote:I sure wish I got decent television coverage of the Giro this year. Sounds like a helluva race! I'm largely keeping up by what's written here, and the occasional peek on various sites.

cyclingtorrents.nl :thumbup:
kkibbler wrote: WW remembers.

jooo

by jooo

HillRPete wrote:
djconnel wrote:The thing with Contador wasn't the Clembuterol, which could well have been food (there's been a number of clear food cases since), but the plasticizer.

Do you have any reference for that? I was firmly under the impression that while a lot of fuzz was made about the plasticisers, there was nothing in the rules about them, so they could not be used in the case against him

Read into what Ashenden and a couple of others have said. Dude was totally doping. Some weird stuff going on with his blood values. Should have been enough for a passport case? WTF how did he get off so lightly?

Liggero wrote:
53x12 wrote:I also consider TdF 1999-2005 to be LA wins.

Also? hahaha, so you compare the most sophisticated doping program ever, by the guy with more resources ever in cycling, with an unfair ban for 0,0000000001 clembuterol

Yeah LA pretty much pwned everyone at those tours. The doping program was nowhere near as organised as some others, what a fable.

ave wrote:Pic was taken yesterday.

Hah! The media definitely paints a picture that these two got on quite well so it's not surprising they're still chums. Tinkov seems heaps stoopid!

Samuel Sanchez Gonzalez

by Samuel Sanchez Gonzalez

tymon_tm wrote:
Calnago wrote:I sure wish I got decent television coverage of the Giro this year. Sounds like a helluva race! I'm largely keeping up by what's written here, and the occasional peek on various sites.

cyclingtorrents.nl :thumbup:

Youtube or Rai VOD on their website

tymon_tm

by tymon_tm

ultyguy wrote:Contador not missing a chance at payback....or being the bigger man in any case. I guess from now on, all mechanicals, punctures, and crashes WILL BE ATTACKED! :twisted:

Mikel Landa wrote:I think Contador saw the opportunity to make me suffer and he took it

Giuseppe Martinelli, Astana DS wrote:There's no room for fair play. Cycling is about crashes, attacks and about improvising. The race starts at kilometre zero and the race has to always be honoured. Unfortunately Landa got hit from behind by a rider. He got a wheel from Tiralongo but he lost about a minute. If Contador had been on his own, perhaps we could have caught him but he teamed up with Hesjedal, who was riding to move up into the top 10."

"It was pure coincidence. It happens to us once and then to them twice. I'm sure that Contador can go to bed happier tonight but I don't worry about what other people do, I just worry about myself.

this is the real downfall of cycling. there might be some rules not everyone agrees with, there's deffinitely a lot of dope on the table, but nothing upsets me more than riders taking advantege over their rivals in their moment of difficulty caused by an accident or a mechanical. I don't care who's better at drugs, which teams work together, but when one attacks while the other one's stuck with a flat, or kissing the tarmac, he deserves nothing but contempt for such an act.

I get that Bertie feels he's been wronged on the Mortirolo, but as a great champ, he should've known better, and acted accordingly. he really ought to set an example in situations like these - especially given his athletic superiority in this race.
kkibbler wrote: WW remembers.

NealH

by NealH

Its a race, and you race to win. These guys are getting paid millions of dollars for their performance, not their etiquette.

Rodrego Hernandez

by Rodrego Hernandez

NealH wrote:Its a race, and you race to win. These guys are getting paid millions of dollars for their performance, not their etiquette.

It's this attitude that sees these athletes filling themselves with drugs and using motors in their bikes.

bikewithnoname

by bikewithnoname

That's the attitude of pro cycling since the 1960's.

Etiquette is in the eye of the beholder, plenty of races have been won in bad etiquette, Bertie dropping Schleck whilst his chain had fallen off is one very obvious example.
"We live in an age when unnecessary things are our only necessities." Oscar Wilde

Rob81

by Rob81

"cheating" or acting on the borderline of sportsmanship is embedded with cycling being a competitive "fight", there's no specific pre or post "etiquette" era
Attitude?
The 1904 Tour de France was the second Tour de France, held from 2 to 24 July [...]; cyclists were accused of having taken trains during the race

Any (attempt) of primitive doping/cheating was widespread soon in these early years.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com