2015 'PRO' cycling discussion

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

Tinea Pedis

by Tinea Pedis

TurboKoo wrote:Blinking red light is prohibited in moving vehicle in many countries.

But funnily studies seem to indicate that on a bike they are safer than a steady red - as they allow drivers to better gauge distance between them and the bike. Sounds counter intuitive, even the chap I was discussing it with (one of the heads of a national bicycle advocacy group) was surprised at the result.

I can see why Trek and AG2R are using them on 'flash'.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

deek

by deek

Frankie - B wrote:@Dez33, I understand you are a US citizen. Please don't react like one, you are on a European forum that is privately owned. If you bump into posts that are not cycling related or are plainly there just to cause havoc, please use the Report function. you can find it as an exclamation mark in the bottom right side of the post.

Glad to know xenophobia is alive and well in Europe.

spdntrxi

by spdntrxi

^ agreed really lame post by Frankie
probably get a warning for that... but really from the administrator no less..I support your sponsors and thus support the website and it happens to be one of my favorites, I'd like to keep thinking that way ?

MERICA!
Last edited by spdntrxi on Sun Jul 05, 2015 2:09 pm, edited 2 times in total.
2024 BMC TeamMachine R
2018 BMC TImeMachine Road
2002 Moots Compact-SL
2019 Parlee Z0XD - "classified"
2023 Pivot E-Vault

Dez33

by Dez33

Nice to see Rohan Dennis get the win after quite a few near misses.

xnavalav8r

by xnavalav8r

plpete wrote:
racermech wrote:Apart from marketing or something else any reason TFR has rear blinkers? Thinking they are in F1 in the rain?

I noticed that too. One rider from Trek and one from AG2R were sporting a red rear blinking light on the seat post. Wonder what's the reasoning behind that.

Trek are promoting PEOPLE FOR BIKES. One of the organization's initiatives is to educate cyclists about the importance of being visible on the road day and night. They are demonstrating how visible these small lights can be and that they are small enough to not even interfere with a world tour time trialist's bike.

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

Makes sense. I have lights but I don't always take them in the daylight (in fact I hardly ever take them). But there's times when I'm way out in nowheresville that I think id be much safer if I had them and feel kinda stupid for not. The other day I was sitting downtown in superbright sunshine and noticed a rear small light on a road bike that was so bright I had to ask what it was. She didn't know as her his back put it on but what a difference it made in her visibility in broad daylight. So, I'll reconsider next time, especially when riding alone. Good for Trek for promoting them this way.
Speaking of accessories on the backs of bikes what were the things sticking off a lot of the bikes today in the opening TT?. Are they some sort of GPS unit?
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

Danza

by Danza

Yes the stick in the back is the live tracker gps

Kayrehn

by Kayrehn

@Nathanong, do you know the story on what happened to those aerobars? Looks like he hit a huge bump and the entire thing snapped!

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

MattSoutherden

by MattSoutherden

Those extensions don't look damaged. It appears that they weren't clamped in, and just pulled out.

xnavalav8r wrote:They are demonstrating how visible these small lights can be and that they are small enough to not even interfere with a world tour time trialist's bike.

Almost certainly cost Faboo 7 seconds with the extra drag.

Specialized will have a special wind-tunnel tested tail light next year that actually *saves* you 3 minutes over a 40k TT.
Snacking on carrot sticks - Where did it all go so wrong?
-
Finsbury Park CC

nathanong87
Resident master of GIF

by nathanong87

commentators referring to t.martin 'current world champion', ugh

MisterNoChain

by MisterNoChain

MattSoutherden wrote:Those extensions don't look damaged. It appears that they weren't clamped in, and just pulled out.

xnavalav8r wrote:They are demonstrating how visible these small lights can be and that they are small enough to not even interfere with a world tour time trialist's bike.

Almost certainly cost Faboo 7 seconds with the extra drag.

Cancellara wasnt riding with one.

djconnel

by djconnel

When riding in daylight, it's generally best to blind other road users with your superbright LEDs because then when they aim at you they will lose control and go careening off the road.

Seriously, those things, including front daytime lights, are about the most antisocial thing I've seen on noncompetitive cycling. No doubt Cancellara is contemplating the marginal aero losses today.

On that post fest: bad stuff but not much worse than what I've seen painted on roads in the Tour.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

hasbeen

by hasbeen

those MTN jerseys look awesome from the heli shots.
Casati Vola SLi and Dolan Preffisio
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=108931" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;"
btompkins0112 wrote:
It has the H2 geo......one step racier than a hybrid bike

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

LeDuke

by LeDuke

djconnel wrote:Seriously, those things, including front daytime lights, are about the most antisocial thing I've seen on noncompetitive cycling. No doubt Cancellara is contemplating the marginal aero losses today.

Cancellara's bike didn't have one.

And, for people who ride solo on country roads quite often, "antisocial" isn't something that even enters their minds. I'd rather be alive than "cool".