2015 'PRO' cycling discussion

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

tymon_tm

by tymon_tm

KWalker wrote:can we start a women's racing or equality in cycling thread? leave this one for interesting pro cycling stuff?

I've seen and read it just now. seems like everything you disagree with needs to go from WW..
kkibbler wrote: WW remembers.

tymon_tm

by tymon_tm

jooo wrote:
tymon_tm wrote:I'm not claiming women's racing is better. it's different. often a bit refreshing for someone used to the constant chess game provided by men's elite.

To me it just seems as if there's actually quite a bit of hype about the entertainment value of women's cycling from sections of English speaking cycling media which doesn't stack up. It's as if some use it as a good example for what men's racing should aspire to be :?

not aspire. it's an alternative. something else, yet still the same. cycling.

hype? where's that, srsly.
jooo wrote:
tymon_tm wrote:when I say "shorten the distance", apart from letting cyclists keep more strenght for the finale, I also mean it's pointless from the TV spectator's perspective, or sponsor's perspective, to cover all those miles, especially since you can't even see them, can you.

You bring up an interesting aspect of the sport, that just because something may not be seen (or that exciting to most people), it doesn't mean that it isn't an important aspect of the sport.

I actually see the ability to not show half of a cycling race live as a lucky break that cycling can use more effectively to keep up with other sports that generally pose less of a logistical challenge. Television time is expensive and the fact that you can successfully condense the first part of racing into a short highlights package and then play, let's say the last hour and a half live saves huge amounts of money; ie sponsors don't need to be found to pay for a whole 6 hour broadcast. The coverage needs a lot of work though. The English speaking commentators from almost every network are awful, the pictures themselves often need improving and the sport as a whole has been slow to embrace technology.

fair point, but there's a flipside to that coin. people don't get what they can't see. not everyone's that informed, that deep into cycling. lurking through some more general cycling forums, where a lot of fresh blood comes to comment on what they just saw, it's a pretty common issue - the lenght of stages. "why do they ride if no one sees it. if they don't show it, maybe introduce something cool, and then show it,". it's not like we need to cut it in half and make a crit of every race, but cycling often lacks dynamics required for most tv viewers to find it exciting. ultimately, TV rules. TV has already changed volleyball and tennis rules. change is inevitable I feel, to eventually introduce more "cool" features - maybe more intermediate sprints or bonuses, maybe something else. but I believe shortening certain stages or races is just a matter of time.
jooo wrote:
tymon_tm wrote:yes, cycling's an endurance sport, but that doesn't mean we need a negative selection at the finish line.

There is a point to the length of a race. It showcases the physical and mental toughness required to be a successful pro. I enjoy watching riders in a race of attrition, turning themselves inside out to win a long stage that's 2 and half weeks into a grand tour. Endurance is an integral part of creating those scenarios in road cycling and I don't feel this aspect needs to change for the future.

tymon_tm wrote:I don't really know what you mean by the shorter stages that didn't pan out, because to the contrary - I can remember shorter, harder stages that did bring a lot of fighting rather than just dropping those who ran out of gas.

I'll politely disagree with this for the most part. They're often tackled at a faster pace which produces even less of a selection. The bunch is able to stay together more easily (due to riders not being fatigued). Sure there's been good finishes on some of the shorter stages, but again that's almost always down to a good race route and/or a GC battle, not the race distance.

I've no problem with more guys staying competitive towards the end of a stage or race. but then again - shortening is just one of things that probably will happen one day in order to meet TV demands. I'm not holding onto it, just saying. even some pros claim that particularly some stages are just too damn long. everyone sees that. why the hell roll for 200+kms on a flat road just to finish it off with a bunch sprint.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

KWalker

by KWalker

Are you completely stupid? The track WR have largely been held by, as you so ignorantly refer to them as, "the blacks" for decades. Stop rambling. I wish there was a board wide block list.
Don't take me too seriously. The only person that doesn't hate Froome.
Gramz
Failed Custom Bike

tymon_tm

by tymon_tm

sorry what?

everytime you find something inconvinient, not fitting your personal views you wave the same "get outta here" card. like it was your forum. I'm really sick of this. you're literally the only poster here constantly trying to tell others what to write about.

and don't twist my words around just cause I'm not native english and might sometimes slip - which BTW I don't think I did.

prendrefeu

by prendrefeu

So nice to actually have a discussion about Pro cycling :)
Exp001 || Other projects in the works.

micky

by micky

Giant signed Ten Dam so they indeed are changing direction.

boysa

by boysa

Kittel to Quick Step. Two year contract.
"Deserve's got nothing to do with it." William Munny

boysa

by boysa

Sorry if everyone knows this already. I just wanted to talk about something else.
"Deserve's got nothing to do with it." William Munny

NilesCrane

by NilesCrane

Kittel had a great sprint train at Giant, which I'm sure he'll miss. Will be interesting to see how he fares at quickstep!

ave

by ave

Indeed, I wonder who will lead Kittel out? :)
Maybe he will bring a few of his men to Etixx?

lukey muffler

by lukey muffler

Sagan's world champ getup (from a page or two back) is right on point. Bike is nice too. Not sold on the shoes but hey.. Maybe they haven't got the gleaming white with a dash of rainbow ones ready to go yet. If that's not the case, and he fancies the jet black skates with that kit, well.. He can do what he wants... He's Peter Sagan :thumbup:

hasbeen

by hasbeen

Someone at Speci is a big Andy Warhol fan.
Casati Vola SLi and Dolan Preffisio
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=108931" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;"
btompkins0112 wrote:
It has the H2 geo......one step racier than a hybrid bike

nickl

by nickl

boysa wrote:Kittel to Quick Step. Two year contract.

And there's why they let Cav go.

nathanong87
Resident master of GIF

by nathanong87

MKs WC bike > sagan's

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

stuka666

by stuka666

Sagan's bike is pretty ugly.. and his shoes.. maybe in time specialized is going to release a wc version.