2015 'PRO' cycling discussion

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

fogman

by fogman

Looks like not all pros have embraced disc brakes in cyclocross yet.
It's all downhill from here, except for the uphills.

Frolle

by Frolle

Jürgen Van den Broeck riding a Colnago with Sram at the same event...
Lots of other pros riding all kinds of different bikes and equipment. Looks like there is no sponsor obligations

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Rondje

by Rondje

Some teams also got smaller contracts with the sponsors for road bikes only. Sometimes it means that it's very hard to get a non road bike from the sponsor for off season, or they have to buy it for import prices. In that case they probably get better deals at local bike shops with other bikes.

hilts

by hilts

Meanwhile in Norway; two worldchamps and some sprinter. :D
Kristoff and Bystrøm riding disc-equipped Inflites.
Dahle Flesjå had a local track built for her, and it is pretty much a copy of the Rio-course. Shit just got serious.

Mr.Gib

by Mr.Gib

LeDuke wrote:
Mr.Gib wrote:I think the pros are going to hate them, particularly how they affect wheel builds. Yeah they may like them when descending in the rain, but there is something I just don't like about watching my front wheel wind up and collapse to the left when I grab the brakes hard. Maybe I just haven't found the right disc wheelset yet, but none that I have tried handle as well as my regular wheels in aggressive cornering and braking.

And for the rest of us non-pros, complicated, expensive, heavy, shitty chain lines, and not aero.

Yes, it sounds like you have a terrible wheel builder or rode really, really bad wheels in general.

Nah, on my Boone disc which I have set up for winter training, I have an Industry Nine wheelset. Absolutely fantastic wheels, highly recommended. But they are still no match under braking to my regular rim brake road wheels (various models). Take any disc bike, sit on the top tube, squeeze the front brake hard, and jam the bike forward. Watch what happens to the front wheel. I don't like the asymmetry of the response.
wheelsONfire wrote: When we ride disc brakes the whole deal of braking is just like a leaving a fart. It happens and then it's over. Nothing planned and nothing to get nervous for.

LeDuke

by LeDuke

Interesting.

I can nose wheelie on both of my MTBs and no hint of the flex you describe. Very strange.

davidalone

by davidalone

MTB wheels are usually built stronger, with more spokes and rigid spoking patterms and by virtue of their wider rims are naturally stiffer. I would think that many road disc wheelsets are behind in this.

mattr

by mattr

Shouldn't be a wheel issue, unless the hub is made of cheese. More likely a fork issue.

tymon_tm

by tymon_tm

re: discs. they were allowed at Vuelta and Tour de Pologne (amongst some other races) and I didn't quite notice pros riding or praising them afterwards (apart from few evident PR stunts). so they are far from being race proven and I can't see main contenders depending on the unknown, at least at the beginning. of course teams willing to use discs are probably testing them as we speak, but there's an obvious difference between training and racing. second thing - I bet many pros haven't ridden discs before - at all. it's a complete novelty for them and as such they are going to treat them with a certain reserve (that is unless sponsors make them transition faster). but either way, IMHO in the big races and crucial stages there won't be many guys riding them this season.
kkibbler wrote: WW remembers.

fogman

by fogman

Seems to me the biggest advantage of disc brakes to the pros would be for the technical, mountainous descents. But what about the climbing that comes before the descent with a 480 gram weight penalty?
It's all downhill from here, except for the uphills.

LeDuke

by LeDuke

fogman wrote:Seems to me the biggest advantage of disc brakes to the pros would be for the technical, mountainous descents. But what about the climbing that comes before the descent with a 480 gram weight penalty?

You can EASILY build a bike down to the 6.8kg mark with disc brakes.

And, disc brake wheels have significantly lighter rims than rim brake wheels. Meaning, you lose weight in the only area that might actually be felt while going uphill.

So, I fail to see why this is even an issue.

nathanong87
Resident master of GIF

by nathanong87

biggest penalty of disc brake bikes is they look terrible.

CBJ

by CBJ

mattr wrote:Shouldn't be a wheel issue, unless the hub is made of cheese. More likely a fork issue.

I have a GT Grade Carbon with the hydro Shimano dics. I have not felt anything like this or seen any difference in how the bike behaves when braking compared to my Roubaix. Over time there has been plenty of noodle like XC forks. I have never heard anybody complain about something like this.

boots2000

by boots2000

This^^^^
I recently bought a disc brake bike that I use on road and trails.
I feel no dive or wind-up with braking.
It is solid as a rock.
I find the brakes to be very confidence inspiring. I can late brake and know that there will be plenty of brake for me-

CBJ wrote:
mattr wrote:Shouldn't be a wheel issue, unless the hub is made of cheese. More likely a fork issue.

I have a GT Grade Carbon with the hydro Shimano dics. I have not felt anything like this or seen any difference in how the bike behaves when braking compared to my Roubaix. Over time there has been plenty of noodle like XC forks. I have never heard anybody complain about something like this.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

boots2000

by boots2000

I am going to say that your wheels are underbuilt for the intended use.
There was a learning curve with this when discs were new in the mtb world- but they figured out the appropriate strength to lightness balance.

Mr.Gib wrote:
LeDuke wrote:
Mr.Gib wrote:I think the pros are going to hate them, particularly how they affect wheel builds. Yeah they may like them when descending in the rain, but there is something I just don't like about watching my front wheel wind up and collapse to the left when I grab the brakes hard. Maybe I just haven't found the right disc wheelset yet, but none that I have tried handle as well as my regular wheels in aggressive cornering and braking.

And for the rest of us non-pros, complicated, expensive, heavy, shitty chain lines, and not aero.

Yes, it sounds like you have a terrible wheel builder or rode really, really bad wheels in general.

Nah, on my Boone disc which I have set up for winter training, I have an Industry Nine wheelset. Absolutely fantastic wheels, highly recommended. But they are still no match under braking to my regular rim brake road wheels (various models). Take any disc bike, sit on the top tube, squeeze the front brake hard, and jam the bike forward. Watch what happens to the front wheel. I don't like the asymmetry of the response.