2015 'PRO' cycling discussion

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

kkibbler

by kkibbler

My mistake, I must be mixing that up with another break.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

djconnel

by djconnel

Caruso may have simply been too tired to work. But assuming that wasn't the case I agree it would have been much better to have him do so. Either they stay away and they lock down a podium, which is as good as they did or could have expected to do, or they get caught and Rodriguez gets a free ride and valv works harder. You act like ballast to the break and you end up with nothing, playing into Valverde's hands. That's how Quickstep used to ride for Boonen. A team needs to be willing to have a rider other than its star win.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

IchDien

by IchDien

hornedfrog wrote:
nathanong87 wrote:
Old post I know, but just realized the Zipps are carbon clinchers. Surely THIS won't be he race bike....right? :unbelievable:

But in all seriousness, can anyone recall of a pro tour rider option for carbon clinchers in a mass start race? And yes yes I know of the occasional Tony Martin running clinchers in some TTs, but I'm talking straight up road race. Also aware of reliability, the supple nature of a tubular, and pinch flats and stuff like that. I think its just an interesting point to make...

IIRC Zipp provides riders clinchers for training so the bike is probably in training mode.

53x12

by 53x12

de zwarten wrote:It seems hard these days to just watch a race and comprehend what is happening, for some!

So here is my how-the-race-was-won:
Caruso was never together with 2 of Astana, that was Chavez in the group that was reeled in before Roche-aux-faucons (with Kangert and Scarponi).
Next was an attack from Kreuziger on Roche-aux-Faucons. Caruso followed but did not want to cooperate. Fuglsang closed the gap on his own, and worked after taking some rest in the slipstream. Caruso only started to cooperate when they were almost caught at Sain-Nicolas.

The only good reason Caruso shouldn't cooperate came on that climb, because it was clear that Fuglsang was one of the better riders going up the steep sections of Sain-Nicolas. So on the top, Valverde had tried but except for ditching Kwiatkowski, Gilbert, ... no big things happened. Bardet tried to attack, but Caruso was leading the group and controlling the action.

Katusha had 3 men, but at the last K, Caruso was well spend. They still had Moreno who tried to exhaust Valverde. Miracles don't happen on climbs, so when Valverde caught Moreno after some pokering, the guys in his wheel (Rodriguez and co) didn't really have any fresher legs so Valverde duly won. No surprises, no tactical mistakes, a very though and fast race and the best won. The one difference this time, is a Valverde who actually rode like he should have so many races before, tactically: he was the fastest guy, and he controlled the attacks. In previous races, he always let go a final attack to take 2nd or 3rd. So kudos to him for finally applying some sound tactics.

+1. :beerchug:
"Marginal gains are the only gains when all that's left to gain is in the margins."

mike
Resident Pro

by mike

can porte win the giro this year? he is looking fabulous right now.

vlastrada

by vlastrada

...Porte looks fabolous until he has a bad day on a long climb and loses 7mins

But for sure he is riding impressively right now.

fa63

by fa63

I don't think Porte can beat Contador.

nathanong87
Resident master of GIF

by nathanong87

valverde is going to win giro

mike
Resident Pro

by mike

valverde is going to the tour with Quintana. no giro for him.

53x12

by 53x12

I agree that Contador has to be the favorite. Obviously anything could happen with a bad crash or a bad day in the mountains. For me, my favorites would be Contador followed by Uran followed by Porte and Aru. Should be a fun Giro to follow.
"Marginal gains are the only gains when all that's left to gain is in the margins."

petepeterson

by petepeterson

Just watched the finale of LBL. No matter how you feel about him that's some badass racing by Piti chasing down Moreno and winning the sprint.

dereksmalls

by dereksmalls

Cav claims 2 stages at Turkey so far, good start back

Pieter

by Pieter

Porte is having a great year, but can he manage 3 weeks in a row? I have the impression that you cannot really train that, several others are good in 1 week races but failed in grand tours. He always had bad days in his grand tours, but can't remember if he always had a legitimate excuse.

MattSoutherden

by MattSoutherden

Valverde must be contender for best rider of his generation. If only we payed him more respect.

I mean, only 10 years ago he was, clean, putting doped to the gills Armstrong, Rasmussen, Ullrich, et al to the sword in the 2005 Tour stage to Courchevel. Now he's still class of the peloton.

What a guy.
Snacking on carrot sticks - Where did it all go so wrong?
-
Finsbury Park CC

nathanong87
Resident master of GIF

by nathanong87

cavendish on poggios #shoedoping. ugh i need a pair now.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com