2015 'PRO' cycling discussion

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

KWalker

by KWalker

nathanong87 wrote:i wanna see the joe D vs Aru matchup!

Hate to admit it, but current Aru would definitely crush him. He's developed a ton more snap. I'd like to see Cannondale and Joe get a good result though, they need it and have what it takes.
Don't take me too seriously. The only person that doesn't hate Froome.
Gramz
Failed Custom Bike

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

KWalker

by KWalker

kbbpll wrote:Never once interesting in any way? Jens on a long solo breakaway into Steamboat two years ago and getting caught a mile from the finish wasn't interesting? To each their own I guess. I was screaming at the computer screen.

No, that was not interesting. The course was boring and it was obvious many km out he would get caught.
Gramz
Failed Custom Bike

sovereign

by sovereign

53x12 wrote:
ultimobici wrote:Not dangerous. Just not conducive to good racing.

Here:

ultimobici wrote:It's already climbing almost 500m higher than the Col de La Bonette. The climb is also more than 40km long and starts at 2500m. To add elevation and length would be inhuman and potentially dangerous. It's one thing to climb that high for fun, quite another to race at that altitude.

Love to hear more on this "dangerous" aspect of high altitude riding. I think the only thing in danger is the riders egos. Except for Jens, who attacked from the start a few years ago heading out of Aspen and set a time to the top of Independence Pass that I am still struggling to comprehend. I live near Aspen and ride at these "dangerous" elevations every day.

109er

by 109er

Racing at altitude or not wanting to isn't really an, "ego" thing. It just sucks. It's not nearly as fast nor is it nearly as exciting. If they displayed all of the rider data and had a team of scientists explaining what that all meant to the general public, it might make it a teensy bit more fun to watch to the person that has no idea whats going on.

USA Pro Challenge, Tour of Utah, Tour of California, Tour de France, the Giro, etc...and really any race, the promoter isn't trying to get more cyclists to watch.....they already do, or at least they keep up with it. What organizers try to do is get the person that has no clue what cycling is or what it's about, to tune in. To spark the interest. Velon is one way to do so, shortening a freakin 40 mile climb at however many feet above sea level, is another. Those are just to name a few.
green jacket, gold jacket...who gives a sh*t

elSid

by elSid

Racing over Independence Pass (3rd highest in CO, 12095', 3687m) is milquetoast. What's your race number? I look forward to seeing you after the piddly little hills on the Loveland-Ft Collins stage.

As I mentioned, Independence Pass is one of the few great things about the USAPCC. Unfortunately, the race habitually drops video coverage on the descent into Aspen. Even if the excuse of helicopter-to-relay-aircraft signal being complicated by altitude has no solution, strap a go-pro to the race moto and add it to the highlights. Seriously. This sort of coverage is interesting to non-cyclists who are bored to tears by most aspects of competitive cycling.

The stage ending in Fort Collins will be a sprint finish. It wouldn't be if they ended it at the top of Rist Canyon - which isn't that high, for those who think the altitude is inhumane - but because the organizers have a habit of removing the teeth from the race. To me, it is analagous to enduring the trouble and expense of ordering dinner at a 3 Michelin star restaurant, only to ask that the meal immediately be boxed so you can microwave it the next day.

BTW, although I race as an amateur, does not being a pro mean my opinion is laughable? Well, that's just, like, your opinion, man.

boots2000

by boots2000

Hmm? Why do you suppose Aru has developed more quickly than Joe D.?
(jab)

KWalker wrote:
nathanong87 wrote:i wanna see the joe D vs Aru matchup!

Hate to admit it, but current Aru would definitely crush him. He's developed a ton more snap. I'd like to see Cannondale and Joe get a good result though, they need it and have what it takes.

boysa

by boysa

I'd say it's because Team Sky burned Joe D. up and set him back a bit.
"Deserve's got nothing to do with it." William Munny

KWalker

by KWalker

Boswell seems to have rebounded and avoided that fate somewhat. I kinda wonder if some of it is mental and personality as well.
Gramz
Failed Custom Bike

djconnel

by djconnel

Dumbrowki, he had Iliac artery issues. I'm not sure if Sky contributed to that. Maybe it could have been diagnosed quicker.

MattSoutherden

by MattSoutherden

tymon_tm wrote:.. a race from Sunset Blvd to that stupid Hollywood sign would gather more tv coverage, more exposure and more fans both along the road and in front of their tvs than all the Alp d'Huezes and Galibiers combined.

lulwut? :hmm:
Snacking on carrot sticks - Where did it all go so wrong?
-
Finsbury Park CC

Getter

by Getter

Haha...Sunset is pretty hammered. The road is horrible...and you can't really race to the Hollywood sign.

lippythelion

by lippythelion

So are mtb (friend of Dorothy) brakes allowed on the road from this weekend?

glam2deaf

by glam2deaf

Sorry, what brakes?

lippythelion

by lippythelion

You know, those weird dic brakes. In the WT I mean.

prendrefeu

by prendrefeu

Getter wrote:Haha...Sunset is pretty hammered. The road is horrible...and you can't really race to the Hollywood sign.

You can, actually. It's been done a number of times (amateur).
However the space at the top of the sign is very, very right: there will be no room for media, fans, or VIP... and riders coming back down will surely collide with those still climbing.
Exp001 || Other projects in the works.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com