2015 'PRO' cycling discussion

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

wingguy

by wingguy

tranzformer wrote:Look more closely. Sagan and Phinney are basically the same age. Sagan's palmares >>>> Phinney's. Same with Degenkolb >>>> Phinney age for age. Not sure why he mentioned Terpstra or JvS as those two examples aren't good at all.

Yeah, I was talking about the guys I'd already name checked from his last post.

Bagging on a rider who's 25 for not having the palmares of guys who won their first major races at 30 is just weird.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

KWalker

by KWalker

Rondje wrote:
LeDuke wrote:When was the last time anyone actually used a neutral service bike in a ProTour race?

I've never seen it happen, and I've been following pro cycling for most of 15 years now. I've seen one (1) wheel taken from a Mavic car in that time.

Vanmarcke this year in PR (also complaining about getting a 10 year old rim). I think it happens allot more then you think, but mostly in the background so we don't see it. Here is a movie Mavic once made of servicing in PR: https://vimeo.com/22401915 I know PR is a bad example as there won't be a race with more flats, but it still gives a nice view of the neutral service cars/bikes (also how hectic it is).

A few years back in the Vuelta (2009?) didn't Cuddles have to take a Mavic neutral wheel, which was 10 speed and didn't work with his Campy 11? And he blamed that on Valverde winning?
Don't take me too seriously. The only person that doesn't hate Froome.
Gramz
Failed Custom Bike

DanW

by DanW

Just to give some balance to the Moto/ TV discussion.... David Millar is hanging off the back of a Moto at the front of the race at the Ride London race today and it is actually quite enjoyable to see an ex-pro reveling in being in the thick of the action. At times it is a little like Claudio's UCI DH course previews where a very good rider can still be in awe of the speed of the current crop. Some good insights from Millar and nice to get a different format in between the normal coverage. Plus, he has to wear a helmet so that daft hat isn't on air :D

LouisN

by LouisN

I'm more interested in the regulation aspect of any vehicle allowed in the peloton/caravan in a sanctioned race.

It shouldn't matter wether the drivers on the motorcycles/cars are from TV broadcasters, race organisers or teams, they should all follow a REAL training, and succed in a REAL test before getting such a specific licence.

We know it doesn't work that way....

Louis :)

xena
Banned

by xena

wingguy wrote:
tranzformer wrote:Look more closely. Sagan and Phinney are w the same age. Sagan's palmares >>>> Phinney's. Same with Degenkolb >>>> Phinney age for age. Not sure why he mentioned Terpstra or JvS as those two examples aren't good at all.

Yeah, I was talking about the guys I'd already name checked from his last post.

Bagging on a rider who's 25 for not having the palmares of guys who won their first major races at 30 is just weird.

The post "king is back". I think thats is a crazy statement.
I named riders who have won a big race and not had the hype.
Some are older some are not. That is my point. Phinney has yet to deliver in the majors, to call him a king is stupid.
Xena a demi god among the digital demimonde that is WW community

http://i.imgur.com/hL5v3ai.jpg

https://www.flickr.com/photos/131970499@N02/

nathanong87
Resident master of GIF

by nathanong87

king of up turned cycling cap oakley eyeshade fire iridium illest style winter iver.

lol take the internet real serious.

spdntrxi

by spdntrxi

nathanong87 wrote:king of up turned cycling cap oakley eyeshade fire iridium illest style winter iver.

lol take the internet real serious.

Non US folk might not get the Elvis connection... :lol:
2024 BMC TeamMachine R Building
2018 BMC TImeMachine Road
2002 Moots Compact-SL- getting aero look makeover
2019 Parlee Z0XD - "classified"
2023 Pivot E-Vault - completed project, full Xplr package

xena
Banned

by xena

Yeah. He's a dead ringer for Elvis

spdntrxi

by spdntrxi

it's the shades...very Elvis
2024 BMC TeamMachine R Building
2018 BMC TImeMachine Road
2002 Moots Compact-SL- getting aero look makeover
2019 Parlee Z0XD - "classified"
2023 Pivot E-Vault - completed project, full Xplr package

xena
Banned

by xena

Last edited by xena on Sun Aug 02, 2015 7:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

boysa

by boysa

Come on. I like Phinney and all, but Elvis? There's only been one.
"Deserve's got nothing to do with it." William Munny

Rondje

by Rondje

Motorcycle goes for it again in London today at Vanmarcke: www.youtube.com/watch?t=25&v=3SYYU629l6w Not as bad as Greg yesterday but still, wtf is he doing?

pastronef

by pastronef

ultimobici
in the industry

by ultimobici

MRM wrote:Which vehicles can be reduced though? If you want the sport to flourish, tv is a huge factor. We need better tv coverage not less (although also not more in terms of more vehicles). Personally if I'd want to reduce the amount of vehicles on the road in the race, I would not reduce the tv camera bikes. I'd reduce everything else.
You can find alternative solutions for the services the other vehicles provide. You can't for what the tv camera bikes do. I would also add POV on bike footage into the regular broadcast once technology has made it possible for domestiques and sprint lead out riders (like Mark Renshaw for example) to carry live video go-pro cameras (ideally their bikes should be weighted in such a way that they are 6,8kg with the added camera equipment).

There have been enough cameras since the late 80s. Do we have to see every minute of detail in closeup? No. Do the riders need service from team or neutral, medical attention from the race doctor, spare clothing or food from their team car? Absolutely. The sport is growing perfectly well without more TV camera bikes or cars milling around skimming riders into the hedgerows. I'd far rather have to read a report to fill in the gaps of a race then have the potential winner lose due to an unattended flat that ruined his chances. That would be akin to returning to the days before Desgranges allowed team support.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

MRM

by MRM

I don't really disagree. The race traffic needs to be reduced without compromising the race or the race transmission.

I do believe the responsibilities of the team cars can be handled via pre-planned ground support along the way. Mechanicals at the wrong time take you out of the race regardless of how much support is available. Sagan was out of contention in Paris Roubaix despite having a team car fairly close (he probably would not have won anyway, but couldn't think of a better recent example).

Being forced to develop more reliable gear will benefit us consumers as well. Schwalbe Pro One Tubeless and it's performance with IAM at Paris Roubaix (0 flats) is the best example.