2015 'PRO' cycling discussion

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

tymon_tm

by tymon_tm

did any of you watch this race on TV? were there actually any crowds, any fans along the road? I've seen few photos and it appears as this Abu Dhabi tour is just a fullfillment of some rich sheikh's fantasy. and while I don't mind PR stunts just for the sake of promoting the place via sport (or the other way around), it loses any sense if no one watches it :noidea:

as for the temeperatures - 50 C is what you'll get if forecast predicts around 40 C. 50 C is probably closer to perceptible temperature, as the meteorologists measure air temp. 2 meters above the ground and the sensor must be shielded from the sun. this year I rode in 38-39 C (according to official weather reports) for a couple of days, and despite me liking high temps and sun, it was hardly bearable (although still a lot more pleasant than just sitting, doing nothing and sweating like crazy :wink: ). I can't imagine racing or anything like that when you literally struggle to breathe at lower than usual pace..
kkibbler wrote: WW remembers.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

LeDuke

by LeDuke

I regularly rode in 40-45 C temps in CO this summer. At 5,000+ feet.

You get used to it, in time.

That said, I was generally only out for 2-3hrs, max, but it was on the MTB, so I didn't have the sweat-evaporating advantage of road bike speeds. I'd go through 5-6 bottles, refilling both every hour or so. If I didn't have access to nice, cold water, I'd have to ride at another time of day.

plpete

by plpete

tymon_tm wrote:did any of you watch this race on TV? were there actually any crowds, any fans along the road? I've seen few photos and it appears as this Abu Dhabi tour is just a fulfillment of some rich sheikh's fantasy. and while I don't mind PR stunts just for the sake of promoting the place via sport (or the other way around), it loses any sense if no one watches it :noidea:

This. I saw a bit of it as well as rider camera footage from the start of the race and finish. There really was more photographers than actual fans, and those seemed to be people from other places around the world that are into cycling or at least interested in it. Many riders have also complained about racing with the high temperatures. Riding is ok but racing is another story.

milkbaby

by milkbaby

Not current racing news but may be of interest: http://www.cyclingnews.com/features/por ... o-ditalia/

Richie Porte about next summer:
...his Tour de France ambitions and of course the question that has dominated his summer: how is it going to work between him and Tejay van Garderen at the Tour de France?

"Obviously I'm not leaving Sky and joining BMC just to target the Giro," Porte tells Cyclingnews straight off the bat.

:)

tymon_tm

by tymon_tm

"just a Giro" - coming from a guy who didn't even manage to finish the race. given Porte's history of GT leadership and the fact he's now on an american team with an american leader, I wouldn't bet too much money on his win (although something tells me he might very well finish the Tour on podium this time)
kkibbler wrote: WW remembers.

wingguy

by wingguy

Y'know, I went to read that CN article to find the context of the quote because I was sure he didn't mean it like that.... but actually I have to agree, that's pretty disrespectful!

CBJ

by CBJ

Seems like Saxo Bank and Bjarne Riis are returning next year. Looks like it will be announced next week. One rumor was he would buy back his old team.

martinko

by martinko

For all those who think pros are riding bikes on the weight limit. I do not think that they really care about lowering the limit.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FqEBiyjIcfU

wingguy

by wingguy

Yeah but, stage profile...

martinko

by martinko

See GCN review of Pozzovivo's bike in other video. Small (or very small) frame with SRAM Red and also over 7kg, what is almost impossible, isn't it?

prendrefeu

by prendrefeu

martinko wrote:For all those who think pros are riding bikes on the weight limit. I do not think that they really care about lowering the limit.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FqEBiyjIcfU

I think it's clear there is more of a concern for getting blown off course than weight for this particular race.
The statement that "I do not think that they really care about lowering the limit" is a bit of a blanket statement, no? I mean it is your opinion afterall (and all opinions have merit as opinions and perspectives!) but there is a separation between the powers-that-be and the athlete.

Does an athlete think about their equipment regulations? Not too much. They're mostly concerned about training and race performance. Having working, great equipment would be expected and given. That said there are a racers within the peloton who are total weight-weenies... Adam Hansen. Contador... others. The majority? Not really.

Do the racers themselves want a lower weight limit? How do we know whether they do or not? That video only weight their bikes - which are set up for that race in particular and are fairly close to the limit on average. The video did *not* interview the athletes about their preference in regards to the UCI weight limit.

So... :noidea:
Exp001 || Other projects in the works.

martinko

by martinko

And why do you think I put that "I think" in that sentence? Whit that I addressed the question about need of lowering the limit, that is discussed every year (and even in one topic here). As you say, racers care more about training and performance. And that's why I don't get what is the problem with the weight limit.

erty65

by erty65

ave

by ave

I mounted a camera on a friend's bike to film the crit national championship. He was not allowed to race with the camera on, the officials said only UCI approved cameras are allowed. Smells like bullshit to me, but I do not know the exact ruling. What I have found only covers the issue of cameras on helmets. (Which of course can be very dangerous, and makes sense not to allow them in sanctioned races) But on the bike? The front end Garmin mounts are not UCI approved either, and I can't see any difference dangerwise.

Anybody has any experience, or actual knowledge of the current ruling?

prendrefeu

by prendrefeu

martinko wrote:And why do you think I put that "I think" in that sentence?

Relax dude, I recognized that, see above.
But - as I did note that it is your opinion - we do not know if they care or not. You think they don't. That's clear.
No athlete was interviewed about their concerns. Do they care? We don't know. Some do. Many might not.
Does an athlete have a say over all this? Not really. It's largely dictated by the UCI + Industry... you know, like disc brakes in the peloton. :wink:

edit: or, apparently, which cameras are allowed and which are not. :roll:

It all comes down to $$$$/business/industry concerns, really.
Exp001 || Other projects in the works.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com