2015 'PRO' cycling discussion

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

DanW

by DanW

It must be deliberate wording to look like "still nobody likes us" suuurrreeeely :D Quite funny whether intentional or not. Neither paint job grabs me and "Froomey" is a bit meh. It's like they are trying to inject personality with a new name :lol:

nathanong87
Resident master of GIF

by nathanong87

the eurosport commentators kept referring to the tough skin of a rhino, but i actually think Chris' twitter comment about the rhino was clever .... 'head down and charging'.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

prendrefeu

by prendrefeu

Those are both pretty horrible paint jobs to honor a Tour winner.

I guess a person with plenty of money and no taste is their primary market.
Exp001 || Other projects in the works.

nathanong87
Resident master of GIF

by nathanong87

how many good examples can there be of all yellow bikes though?

which i don't think is one.

cuddles had good stem and handlebar combo

csc aint even care

ultyguy

by ultyguy

Cancellara almost got it right (black saddle and tape please :( )

Sastre's was nice and understated.

DanW

by DanW

Simple, but it gets the job done

KWalker

by KWalker

wingguy wrote:
KWalker wrote:Not only that, but the last climbing stage was only 111KM this year. Not much potential for a shake up as we saw.

I've just finished a 20 hour drive boat drive to the alps (get in!) so I have zero motivation to look it up but I'm pretty sure it could be historically documented that shorter stages are more conducive to time gaps than longer stages. Riders can afford to attack more aggressively with less risk of blowing up than with 180km already in the legs.

Also ref the USA tour idea - on word: transfers. The strength of the US in course design terms (it's huge) is also it's weakness (shit is really far apart!). Remember how much teams and riders hated that last Giro that had stages in the north south east and west at random? No way would they take that kind of travel time and logistics from a new event.

In theory that could be the case, but IIRC this is a recent change and I'm not sure its produced any greater time gaps than years past, granted that could be due to what the riders are or are not taking.

http://www.cyclingnews.com/features/phi ... ike-rider/
Kind of amusing that Gaimon believes that an herbal and legal test booster is any different than steroids that do the same thing, but are a direct hormone/banned.

Pinot's CN article is weird as well. He basically says he wants to target GC, but can never beat Quintana. And that his team is super weak. When is his contract up to transfer?
Don't take me too seriously. The only person that doesn't hate Froome.
Gramz
Failed Custom Bike

KWalker

by KWalker

I think it comes down to liking yellow as a color. I despise yellow, so those bikes look like shit to me, but I get the point of them. If someone is riding one its more a museum piece anyways so they should hire a good graphic designer not just paint a bunch of things yellow and hope it works.
Don't take me too seriously. The only person that doesn't hate Froome.
Gramz
Failed Custom Bike

maggierose
Shop Owner

by maggierose

The problem with the Tour de Farce is that IT IS formulaic. And Postal/Discovery/Retirement Shak taught us that. GC leaders must be starved wisps with a high power/weight ratio and not suck at TT'ing. Then it's all about the budget to hire gregarios to work for the team leader. That IMHO, is why Team Sky and Froome are unpopular: they utilize the "Lance" model. Many ex-pro commentators including Lemond and Kelly called out Sagan as the best all-round rider at Le' Tour. If so, I would like to see big time bonuses given on stages to level the playing field. Pro cyclists will always be skinny but I'd much prefer to see Sagan, Martin, & Cancellara be competitive on GC as opposed to just be staigaires/workers. Realistically, there were six guys that were going to be competitive for the overall before the Tour started. Why bother to start and whole field and race for 21 days? Just do an uphill TT and call it a day. The Tour needs parity to be an interesting race ATMHO.

LeDuke

by LeDuke

53x12 wrote:
tymon_tm wrote:I've no idea what e.g. TdF's budget is, but surely it's pennies compared to what major US companies like Coke or McD spend on advertising. and eventually it all comes down to money. I believe sooner or later someone will make it happen, maybe not a whole 3-week long thing, but at least a 6-7 days of racing around some cool areas. with USA being so familiarized through Hollywood flicks and pop culture, it would market and sell itself.

6-7 days? No thanks. Already have ToC and USA Pro Cycling Challenge to cover that base. Would definitely need something closer to the 3 week period. Only question is if something that big and long could b sustainable here in the USA. NBA, MLB, NFL, NHL, NCAA sports all have a large following as is. Not sure cycling had the ability to make inroads into that.

I'd argue that the ToC, ToU, and USAPCC cover just the OK parts of their respective states. Cool areas? Hardly.

Take the Tour of Utah, for example. It races around SLC, Park Shitty, etc. High elevation, long climbs, ok, cool. It doesn't touch any of the southern half of the state. The half with 5 National Parks, nearly twice that number of national monuments, and the amazing, mind-blowing views. But, just like the Alps and Pyrenees, it's sparcely populated at best. Little mining, cattle and tourist towns.

zzmkdw

by zzmkdw

Looks like all of the criticism from Astana leadership has prompted Nibbles to look elsewhere:

http://velonews.competitor.com/2015/07/news/report-change-on-the-horizon-for-nibali_379941

Can't say that I blame him. If I were Sagan, I would get out of dodge too. Tinkoff seems like a real douche.

prendrefeu

by prendrefeu

KWalker wrote:If someone is riding one its more a museum piece anyways so they should hire a good graphic designer not just paint a bunch of things yellow and hope it works.

Correct. :thumbup:

I won't re-quote those large photos... but
Contador's 1st was, and is, miserably designed. It actually makes "Froomey's" look decent, which is saying... ummm.... something however not flattering at all.

Cuddles had a well designed one. It's a BMC job, and Swiss... they may know a thing or two about clean graphic design. :wink:

The other two are ok, but perhaps not "yellow! yellow! yellow!" enough for the type of lion-murdering dentists that might want to ride one so their buddies a can boost their fragile egos.

Wiggo's was done well (like Cancellara's) - solid, through and through - which keeps things easier on everyone (graphic designers included), but perhaps those were frames for "ridden during the tour while in yellow" as opposed to "come buy this higher-priced version of nothing spectacular so you can fulfill your fanboy merit badge now that the tour is over!!"
Exp001 || Other projects in the works.

Powerful Pete
Location: Lima, Peru and the Washington DC area - it's complicated.

by Powerful Pete

zzmkdw wrote:Looks like all of the criticism from Astana leadership has prompted Nibbles to look elsewhere:

http://velonews.competitor.com/2015/07/news/report-change-on-the-horizon-for-nibali_379941

Can't say that I blame him. If I were Sagan, I would get out of dodge too. Tinkoff seems like a real douche.

Interesting, happy to hear (if the article is correct) that Nibali will target the Giro next year and Astana will take Aru to the Tour. Aru is still young but it will be good for him to gain that experience.

Looking forward to seeing Astana at the Vuelta - Nibali, Aru and Landa. Quite a team!
Road bike: Cervelo R3, Campagnolo Chorus/Record mix...
Supercommuter: Jamis Renegade...
Oldie but goodie: De Rosa Professional Slx, Campagnolo C-Record...
And you can call me Macktastik Honey Pete Kicks, thank you.

kbbpll

by kbbpll

At first glance I also thought the Pinarello ad said "Still nobody likes us". I thought it was a parody until I looked closely and didn't see anything "funny".

...USAPCC cover just the OK parts of their respective states. Cool areas? Hardly.
Steamboat, Aspen, Breckenridge, Boulder (previous years) - just OK? Where else are they supposed to go that would be considered "cool"? Sure, Durango to Ouray over Red Mtn Pass, etc etc etc would also be "cool", but I don't consider anything to be "just OK" about the recent routes. Keep in mind there have to be spectators. You're not going to draw big crowds to Rangely.

petepeterson

by petepeterson

Has there been a better year for attendance at all three grand tours?

For the Vuelta:

Quintana
Valverde
Froome
Nibali
Aru
Landa
Purito

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com