2015 'PRO' cycling discussion

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

MiddMan

by MiddMan

KWalker wrote:How do people define interesting? Does every stage need a massive GC shake up with minutes gained/lost? 1,000,000 feet of climbing?

To me the Tour was interesting because:
-On day 1 the fastest speed of any TT in Tour history was set and a top 5 favorite didn't set it.
-Greipel, who hadn't really done a whole lot this year managed to haul in 4 stages.
-Stage 4, Martin on his teammate's bike. How often does a solo move like that stick on a flat stage?
-Stage 6, Stybar makes a solo attack stick again. Pretty impressive for a guy that hasn't raced on the road for more than a few seasons.
-A breakaway rider won on stage 8, 11, 12, 14, 16, 17, 18, and if you add in solo attacks tack on 19 and 20.
-Of those breakaway stages Cummings' win was incredible and stage 18 was pretty cool seeing the tactics of the various groups on the road.
-GVA's win was absolutely awesome especially considering how close he has gotten so many times.
-MTN and the polka dot jersey.
-GT crashing into a phone pole and losing his coveted shades (BTW does anyone have a picture of them?)

Add to that Quintana's attack on Alpe d'Huez. Sure he didn't win the Tour or even the stage, but it was nice to see an underdog--a young guy from Columbia who seems a bit timid--finally make a move and keep going.

ave

by ave

tymon_tm wrote:haha. funny. or tour de moon. riding into craters and $hit.

With some fantastic VAMs! :)

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

elSid

by elSid

Rondje

by Rondje

KWalker wrote:[
Not only that, but the last climbing stage was only 111KM this year. Not much potential for a shake up as we saw.

You could see all the riders (apart from Quintana) being tired at the last climbing stage, that probably lowered the fireworks. But other then that I think shorter climbing stages have more potential to shake things up then the longer ones. At the long ones everyone just gets tired and the attack is only on the last mountain with the few energy they got left. If it's a shorter mountain stage with only 2/3 mountains you get people to attack allot earlier (like the first or second alp stage) because they are less scared to run out of energy to soon.

tymon_tm

by tymon_tm

Bertie's calling it a season after Classica San Sebastian. Tinkoff's got a dilema now, whether to allow Majka to defend his TdPologne title, or send him to Vuelta.
kkibbler wrote: WW remembers.

tymon_tm

by tymon_tm

elSid wrote:Tour of America
http://velonews.competitor.com/2007/09/news/tour-of-america-planner-im-crazy-but-im-not-that-crazy_13403

Update in 2010
http://velonews.competitor.com/2010/03/news/tour-of-america-down-but-not-out_108524

Seems there won't be a viable, multiple-state stage-race in the USA for the forseeable future.

27 stages sound crazy, that's a full month of racing. I get that US territory is freaking huge, but given how developed the air transport is, getting some major airline as a sponsor and a partner (to provide the transport) and shortening the stages a bit to literally spare more time each day could work.

the biggest obstacle I believe is a lack of a leader, ideally a former pro, who could pull some strings, attract the sponsors and get it done. as Lance is *probably* out of the picture, we might have to wait till TvG wins few Tours and retires..

Kermithimself

by Kermithimself

I doubt the riders will fancy plane transfers as a regular part of the race.

I think part of the trouble with having a major race in the US is the time difference. It might not be correct, but it seems that the majority of people following cycling is located in Europe, meaning that a lot of stages will have their ending close to midnight.
------------
If you dream of being famous - think of what birds do to statues.
Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/kermithimself/
Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCdCPaXwpeXT_LpuEF0REjqw
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/gotlegscycling/

tymon_tm

by tymon_tm

I suppose that kind of event would need to be focused on alluring mailny the American fans (and I mean like: from both Americas), although some e.g. football matches, like Champions League or Primera Division sometimes end like near midnight and people still watch them live.

the biggest challenge of such race are cars. I believe team cars would need to be provided by race staff on location of each stage, given the frequent and distant transitions. but hey, that's not impossible either, and as some ancient US President used to say - that every problem's an opportunity in disguise - it'd be a perfect way for US car producers to promote.

the big question is: is there a market big enough for such an event in the USA. I've no direct answer, but I'd guess since some of the biggest brands in cycling are infact US, and cycling in general gains on popularity (which means some real business opportunities), and if we add all those giant 'sport-related' brands like NIKE, or Coke (they flood FIFA with millions of $$$), then with the right planning, this race could be a hit, and a commercial potential is waaaay beyond a freebie caravan. after all, we're talking about a country who can turn a single league final into a multi-zillion-dollar popstar-casted show, talked about around the world (even though most of the world population doesn't have a clue about american football).

Rob81

by Rob81

I was going to write this on Sunday because I got this rumor some weeks ago, it seemed foolish after the Tour hype but well the "insider" was right:
http://www.cyclingweekly.co.uk/racing/t ... ing-185041

nathanong87
Resident master of GIF

by nathanong87

still nobody likes us

53x12

by 53x12

tymon_tm wrote:I've no idea what e.g. TdF's budget is, but surely it's pennies compared to what major US companies like Coke or McD spend on advertising. and eventually it all comes down to money. I believe sooner or later someone will make it happen, maybe not a whole 3-week long thing, but at least a 6-7 days of racing around some cool areas. with USA being so familiarized through Hollywood flicks and pop culture, it would market and sell itself.

6-7 days? No thanks. Already have ToC and USA Pro Cycling Challenge to cover that base. Would definitely need something closer to the 3 week period. Only question is if something that big and long could b sustainable here in the USA. NBA, MLB, NFL, NHL, NCAA sports all have a large following as is. Not sure cycling had the ability to make inroads into that.
"Marginal gains are the only gains when all that's left to gain is in the margins."

MRM

by MRM

Prefer the more understated version

mike
Resident Pro

by mike

unless the tour gets hillier next year, my bet is on froome again.

wingguy

by wingguy

tymon_tm wrote:I don't agree. every flat stage can go in a very different way - a bunch sprint, an escape, a solo escape.. in Paris however, it's the same predictable scenario over and over again. plus the camera angle, from the motor riding along, looks very weird. ITT, or a more technical, crit-like course would be more entertaining I suppose.

The Champs can go that way as well. Granted the last time it did was Vinokourov, but that's more about how hard the sprint teams race it than lack of effort or opportunity from breakaways. Personally I think the Champs Elysées stage is an incredible spectacle, but I guess it shouldn't be sacred either.

The way they alternate the Depart could be an idea to extend to the final stage, every other year in Paris, something different each year in between.

wingguy

by wingguy

KWalker wrote:Not only that, but the last climbing stage was only 111KM this year. Not much potential for a shake up as we saw.

I've just finished a 20 hour drive boat drive to the alps (get in!) so I have zero motivation to look it up but I'm pretty sure it could be historically documented that shorter stages are more conducive to time gaps than longer stages. Riders can afford to attack more aggressively with less risk of blowing up than with 180km already in the legs.

Also ref the USA tour idea - on word: transfers. The strength of the US in course design terms (it's huge) is also it's weakness (shit is really far apart!). Remember how much teams and riders hated that last Giro that had stages in the north south east and west at random? No way would they take that kind of travel time and logistics from a new event.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com