2015 'PRO' cycling discussion

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

mile2424

by mile2424

why is Cancellara not on the new Madone?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

KWalker

by KWalker

nathanong87 wrote:
djconnel wrote:In the US races get neutralized for crashes all the time.

do they? :noidea:

Outside of MABRA, yes. I've had a crit and road race neutralized this year because of both examples DJ gave. Even had a RR finish neutralized once.
Don't take me too seriously. The only person that doesn't hate Froome.
Gramz
Failed Custom Bike

boysa

by boysa

Even in MABRA. Black Hills was neutralized last year.
"Deserve's got nothing to do with it." William Munny

MisterNoChain

by MisterNoChain

mile2424 wrote:why is Cancellara not on the new Madone?

Because he wants to stick with the bike he's been riding for years now? 6 of the 9 riders are on the new madone.

deek

by deek

Kind of kills the "Can I race this tomorrow?" angle Trek has been publicizing lately though.

DanW

by DanW

There's no way the permanent medical staff can handle anything more than one reasonable sized crash really when you consider the number of bodies on the road and possible injuries. Does this mean that every large(ish) crash will now neutralise a stage as a second is potentially understaffed? It is probably a one off decision but it does seem strange given how often crashes have and will occur in racing.

On a lighter note, Andy Schleck must be ruing the opportunity to ride in a Grand Tour where the race gets netralised when you crash! :D

miltmaster3

by miltmaster3

πατα τραβα ρε

KWalker

by KWalker

I posted this in the Madone 9 thread, but to me its pretty simple:

1. Trek designed the Domane Classics for Fabz. Doesn't mean he can't like the Madone, but chances are Trek pushes the bike they made for him.
2. He races it most of the year anyways.
3. The other stuff doesn't matter as much as us peasants make it out to be. We're splitting hairs to justify ridiculously large purchases. Pros are given options, think about each option for a few minutes, pick one, and move on with life. Between racing, training, travel, etc., they have much more to worry about. I recall Matthews saying he chooses the Foil because he feels the ISP is stiffer. Kristoff is comfortable enough on his Aeorad that he doesn't change it for some cobbled races. Contador is always on a Tarmac even on flat stages whereas Froome is always on an F8.

The bike and the small details matter a lot less than we all make them out to be. The "what if" for a pro comes down to so many variables that frame aero is likely fairly far down the list in terms of rest, recovery, diet, tire pressure, wind, peloton dynamics, crashes, injuries, illness, travel, whatever.
Gramz
Failed Custom Bike

wingguy

by wingguy

1. Trek designed the Domane Classics for Fabz. Doesn't mean he can't like the Madone, but chances are Trek pushes the bike they made for him.

Except the stand out piece of marketing for the new Madone was that Trek knew they'd got it right because Fabian instantly wanted to ride it. The engineers said it was their justification, their vindication and their reward that Fabian chose it as his new race bike because it's the bike with no compromises. Trek pushed Fabian and the Madone. That's the funny thing.

I recall Matthews saying he chooses the Foil because he feels the ISP is stiffer.

You recall incorrectly - unless Matthews has a whole frame design only for him the Foil doesn't have an ISP :wink:

KWalker

by KWalker

Sorry, the Foil's seatpost system.

The stand out piece of marketing was not just Fabian. He was a testimonial and quote. Perhaps 5% of the total literature and PR on the bike when you include tech descriptions, press releases, press reviews, tech details, etc. You're making hyperbole out of a few quotes. Sure, the engineers probably felt good he liked it. And maybe he realllllly wanted to race it and did for a day. Then realized it ain't much different. I don't see it as being pushed that hard.

Here is the Madone page. It features Mollema, not Fabz: http://www.trekbikes.com/us/en/bikes/ro ... ce/madone/

The quotes at the bottom are from reviewers and random riders as well.

Plus, the cobbled stage was supposed to be tomorrow, so perhaps he was back on his old rig in prep for that and would switch back later?
Gramz
Failed Custom Bike

hasbeen

by hasbeen

does anyone ever wonder if the race radios they carry can have a very damaging effect on the rider when they crash? I know a lot of cops dont conceal carry in the lower back because of issues with falling on them. Could the radios be hurting these guys?

re: Fabs bike choice maybe they just couldnt get the bars in the perfect spot just yet. Im sure its something simple like that. That new bar stem combo is going to cause some of those issues until the rider has a lot of time to adapt. I know I hated when things were off by a mm.
Casati Vola SLi and Dolan Preffisio
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=108931" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;"
btompkins0112 wrote:
It has the H2 geo......one step racier than a hybrid bike

petepeterson

by petepeterson

I think that's why the radios are now off-centred not up against the spine.

kbbpll

by kbbpll

FDJ reported that William Bonnet suffered "a multi-fragmented fracture of the second cervical vertebra".

Fixie82

by Fixie82

^ much ouch.
Orica Greenedge have a video with an interesting mechanics view of the chaotic response to the crash, complete with some horrible sounds coming from someone obviously in a lot of pain. I'm hoping that riders are offered mental health support after something like that, it would be very confronting to be involved in.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

prebsy

by prebsy

boysa wrote:Even in MABRA. Black Hills was neutralized last year.

Pretty sure our Amateur races are neutralized to get medical support off the course. We don't get the luxury of racing point to point so once a crash happens it needs to be cleared. Remember black hills is only 3 minutes a lap, that's not much time for an ambulance to tend to a rider . That being said I think the lack of video footage of the second crash (has anyone actually seen it?) speaks to the severity and traffic jam caused by the Bonnet crash.
Last edited by prebsy on Tue Jul 07, 2015 1:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.