2015 'PRO' cycling discussion

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

KWalker

by KWalker

Well if you include the results he was stripped of he will have won those 5 Grand Tours (2010 Tour, 2011 Giro, 2012 Vuelta, 2014 Vuelta, 2015 Giro) which I still consider to be his record since he was stripped of wins that came after he shouldn't have been allowed to race but no one stopped him from doing so. Plus, excluding those results he could still win the 2015 Tour and another 1-2 Grand Tours next year.
Don't take me too seriously. The only person that doesn't hate Froome.
Gramz
Failed Custom Bike

nathanong87
Resident master of GIF

by nathanong87

Contador was not asked about the bike checks after he gained time on Aru and Landa on the stage Verbania. When asked about Cipollini's comments after the stage to Abetone, he dismissed with a joke suggestions about hidden motors in bikes.

"My bike doesn't have three motors, it has five! The whole thing about motors is a joke, it comes from the world of science fiction," he said. "The changes depend on how the stage unfolds. We can use different type of tubulars, bearings or even stiffer wheels. These are solutions that over 30-40km can give a slight advantage. It’s got nothing to do with motors.”

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

53x12

by 53x12

KWalker wrote:Well if you include the results he was stripped of he will have won those 5 Grand Tours (2010 Tour, 2011 Giro, 2012 Vuelta, 2014 Vuelta, 2015 Giro) which I still consider to be his record since he was stripped of wins that came after he shouldn't have been allowed to race but no one stopped him from doing so. Plus, excluding those results he could still win the 2015 Tour and another 1-2 Grand Tours next year.

I also consider TdF 1999-2005 to be LA wins.
"Marginal gains are the only gains when all that's left to gain is in the margins."

ave

by ave

Pic was taken yesterday.

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

I sure wish I got decent television coverage of the Giro this year. Sounds like a helluva race! I'm largely keeping up by what's written here, and the occasional peek on various sites.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

53x12

by 53x12

Calnago wrote:I sure wish I got decent television coverage of the Giro this year. Sounds like a helluva race! I'm largely keeping up by what's written here, and the occasional peek on various sites.

There are plenty of options for free live TV stream straight to you. Just 20 seconds of 'googling' would provide that information if you were really interested in watching it live. Plus the recaps and stages thrown up on YouTube after the stage.
"Marginal gains are the only gains when all that's left to gain is in the margins."

Liggero

by Liggero

KWalker wrote:
KB wrote:
Liggero wrote:Contador is nowhere near his form pre 2009

So, assume your sarcasm was directed towards my comments: As for Contador; isn't it strange that he's never rode with the same panache since he was banned. Think of 2009 when he was winning Tour TT's, but has got nowhere like that since.
My comments were based on where he was at the 2009 Tour, not before as your comment suggest (pre 2009 means 2008) and also not at the present situation. I fully expected him to win at least 5 Tours by now, but he hasn't and has not shown that dominating form until the present Giro where he looks to have re-discovered the 2009 form. I, like you, have no crystal ball, so my comments was before he started dominating this Giro.

Also, you make further comments directed at Americans when they were obviously directed my way. In fact I'm a Brit.

Post-ban:
2012 Milano-Torino
2012 Vuelta
2012 Lombardia- 9th
2012 TT Worlds- 9th
2013 Tour of Oman- 2nd
2013 Tirreno -3rd
2013 Tour- 4th
2014 Tirreno- 1st, 2 stage wins
2014 Tour of Basque Country- 1st, 1 stage win
2014 Dauphine- 2nd
2014 Volta a Catalunya- 2nd
2014 Vuelta- 1st, 2 stage wins
2014 Volta ao Algarve- 2nd with a stage win

Pretty damn good if you ask me. Misses a lot of race miles, clocks some solid top 5 results, but doesn't quite have it one stage race. Comes back in 2014 to either win or be second to Froome, crashes out of the Tour, then beats Froome handedly at the Vuelta. Slow build to form this year, but solid showings against other GC contenders in earlier races and is clearly on form now. Although the result has been voided lets not forget he won the Giro in 2011 and had good showings up until has ban.

While I agree he isn't simply riding away from everyone and his climbing speed has slowed somewhat, he is still an incredible stage race rider and one of the best tactically when it counts. I would argue that in many cases others are probably stronger than he is, but not as cagey or smart. Aru showed that pretty well and I'd say even Froome has.

One thing people forget is that after Rasmussen, Ricco, and that whole cadre of guys were busted there weren't a ton of GC contenders for a few years. Cadel w/Lotto, Menchov (who wasn't dominant even while doped), Schleck, Sastre, VdV, and Leipheimer do not compare to even a Lance 2.0, Cadel w/BMC, Sky w/Wiggins and Froome, a post-ban Valverde, Rodriguez, a mature Nibali, Quintana, Uran, etc.

did you even though for a second, that I´m gonna read one word of that? hahaha, did you watched the giro these days? you may have to visit an optician. Contador was half gas in the whole Giro, he even had to attack a few times while on the leader jersey, hehe. the guy could do this giro with one leg. it is been too easy for him. I mean, even Landa is just not allowed to ride free.. I agree his rivals are all second tier. Purito and valverde would be much better rivals, not to mention froome orquintana and even nibali. But hey, then he will ride with two legs... LOL!!!
Last edited by Liggero on Thu May 28, 2015 11:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Happy Trails !!!

Liggero

by Liggero

53x12 wrote:
KWalker wrote:Well if you include the results he was stripped of he will have won those 5 Grand Tours (2010 Tour, 2011 Giro, 2012 Vuelta, 2014 Vuelta, 2015 Giro) which I still consider to be his record since he was stripped of wins that came after he shouldn't have been allowed to race but no one stopped him from doing so. Plus, excluding those results he could still win the 2015 Tour and another 1-2 Grand Tours next year.

I also consider TdF 1999-2005 to be LA wins.

Also? hahaha, so you compare the most sophisticated doping program ever, by the guy with more resources ever in cycling, with an unfair ban for 0,0000000001 clembuterol that the entities of the sport considered as a "food contamination"... and you say "also". Does it get more pathetic than that?

In other words, does anyone still cares aobut what uci considers or doesn't consider doped or not doped, good or bad, this and that. And let's not forget When contador just winned a tour, one of the first, his team was just not invited the next year. Yeahhhh, but the guy is making all of you guys eat your words.

One by one. Get on your Rapha clothes and go for a coffee dudes!!!
Happy Trails !!!

Liggero

by Liggero

53x12 wrote:
Calnago wrote:I sure wish I got decent television coverage of the Giro this year. Sounds like a helluva race! I'm largely keeping up by what's written here, and the occasional peek on various sites.

There are plenty of options for free live TV stream straight to you. Just 20 seconds of 'googling' would provide that information if you were really interested in watching it live. Plus the recaps and stages thrown up on YouTube after the stage.

cyclingfans.com may work. And if you have an Eurosport or whatever other chanel is legal. Rai sends the signal online, for free, also legal. In this website you will find the links.
Happy Trails !!!

wingguy

by wingguy

Liggero wrote:Also? hahaha, so you compare the most sophisticated doping program ever, by the guy with more resources ever in cycling, with an unfair ban for 0,0000000001 clembuterol that the entities of the sport considered as a "food contamination"... and you say "also". Does it get more pathetic than that?

Which entities of the sport, Contador and his team? I'm pretty sure WADA and the UCI did not consider it to be 'food contamination'.

BTW, your posting style is become progressively more unpleasant. Do you think you could just chill out and try to be nice? Please?

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

53x12 wrote:

Yes, youtube recaps are what I meant when I said I catch the occasional peek on the internet. And I do have coverage from the BEIN sports network, which I paid extra for specifically for this, but it's all in Italian, and as much as I wished I understood the commentary, all I can do is eat spaghetti and dream. I haven't bothered with any live streaming stuff. Next year perhaps.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

Liggero

by Liggero

wingguy wrote:
Liggero wrote:Also? hahaha, so you compare the most sophisticated doping program ever, by the guy with more resources ever in cycling, with an unfair ban for 0,0000000001 clembuterol that the entities of the sport considered as a "food contamination"... and you say "also". Does it get more pathetic than that?

Which entities of the sport, Contador and his team? I'm pretty sure WADA and the UCI did not consider it to be 'food contamination'.

BTW, your posting style is become progressively more unpleasant. Do you think you could just chill out and try to be nice? Please?

pretty sure is not enough. Read the 158pages pdf. I did it. WADA considered it "supplement contaminated most likely", and doping.

Use the ignore button if you don't like my comments, so simple. I don't like most of usa users comments and I don't complaint. Do the same ;-)

If your problem is that facts and reality bothers you, ignore button won't work; reality will always go further beyond fiction. Look at LA, all the suckers supporting him here have now their heads up theirs butts right now, eating their words, one by one, one by one...one after another.
Happy Trails !!!

Liggero

by Liggero

one by one, one by one... ;-D
Happy Trails !!!

wingguy

by wingguy

Liggero wrote:pretty sure is not enough. Read the 158pages pdf. I did it. WADA considered it "supplement contaminated most likely", and doping.

Well, supplements aren't food, are they?

one by one, one by one...one after another.

Yeah, I'm pretty sure that's what Lance supporters sounded like 10 years ago. What will your stance on Contador look like 10 years from now?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

kkibbler

by kkibbler

Can we talk about how smoothly Contador sorted out his dropped chain, on an incline, without clipping out, up and on his way with a push in about 4 seconds?