2015 'PRO' cycling discussion

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

maquisard

by maquisard

My thoughts exactly Matt!

Quite the contrast with the likes of Cunego, Thomas Dekker etc who clearly did turn their back on the hot sauce!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

53x12

by 53x12

MattSoutherden wrote:Valverde must be contender for best rider of his generation. If only we payed him more respect.

I mean, only 10 years ago he was, clean, putting doped to the gills Armstrong, Rasmussen, Ullrich, et al to the sword in the 2005 Tour stage to Courchevel. Now he's still class of the peloton.

What a guy.

How do we know he was clean 10 years ago? Or even today. I still enjoy watching him race.
"Marginal gains are the only gains when all that's left to gain is in the margins."

wingguy

by wingguy

dereksmalls wrote:Cav claims 2 stages at Turkey so far, good start back

Ettix may have given a masterclass in how to lose one day races but their lead out train looks drilled. Total control.

And @53x12: Irony :wink:

bfno

by bfno

I'd love to see Porte win the Giro but I don't know if he has the form for three weeks considering how early he peaked this year. Will be an interesting race for sure.
Venge | Shiv TT | Langster | Dogma 60.1 | CruX | Aeroad CF SLX (WIP)

KWalker

by KWalker

Are any other big trains at Turkey? What's up with Greipel this year?

Those old Nike Poggios come up on eBay quite often, but with insane BIN prices that almost always get bought within a matter of minutes or hours. A teammate has some in a display case that he claims are Cav's but seem really big to me....
Don't take me too seriously. The only person that doesn't hate Froome.
Gramz
Failed Custom Bike

fa63

by fa63

After his win in Paris-Nice, Greipel had alluded to some issues with his mother, so maybe he is a bit distracted?

ultyguy

by ultyguy

Greipel put a lot more emphasis on the classics this year and forewent Oz to start a bit later. To be fair, he put on a great show in RVV and rode strongly in the other big one day races so you can't really say he didn't achieve the goals he was after (maybe you can question what the best goals for his team were, but I digress). He is 32 now, I know, I had no idea either that he was that old. I'd give him a bit of time to rev the speed back up and I'd bet he'll be up there soon enough.

Porte 2015 looks a lot like Wiggo 2012 and Froome 2013. I put some money down on him for the Giro after watching him destroy at P-N and his stock has only risen from there. If he's ever going to do it, this Giro is his chance. Contador looks like he's trying to win the Giro without hitting peak form in order to save a bullet of 2 for the Tour and not blow himself up like he did when he crushed everyone at the 2011 Giro....oh wait, Scarponi won that one :oops:

ave

by ave

Cav is really doing great in that "shit small race".
Of course a win is a win, and actually Turkey is a better race than he put it.

spud

by spud

^ you remember that too, huh? Seems Cav could be rather uncharitable when the mood struck him, but it's all good now

DanW

by DanW

Rebellin taking a mountain top finish today... albeit at a shit small race :lol:

nathanong87
Resident master of GIF

by nathanong87

as long as i dont see some torku dude big ringing' at 50rpm to victory this year. all will be well in the world

HillRPete

by HillRPete

MattSoutherden wrote:Valverde must be contender for best rider of his generation. If only we payed him more respect.

I mean, only 10 years ago he was, clean, putting doped to the gills Armstrong, Rasmussen, Ullrich, et al to the sword in the 2005 Tour stage to Courchevel. Now he's still class of the peloton.

You know regardless of taking this statement at face value, or ironically, you have a point there. Either he is smarter than everyone (at doping, with only a relatively minor single ban), or he is stronger than everyone. Maybe even both, because there is no way he can still dope like everyone did in said Armstrong/Rasmussen/Ullrich days.

And this is from a guy who's always rooting for Rodriguez.

DanW

by DanW

It is quite funny watching the 2013 stages back. I didn't realise Cobo was on Torku now either!

dbecks7

by dbecks7

KWalker wrote:
dbecks7 wrote:It is not hard at all to lose quite a bit of weight in short periods. My own experience I can easily lose close to 15lbs in a month through a extreme caloric deficit (>1000 calories) as well as fasted cycling of around 20-30 miles of varying intensity levels. On top of this weight lifting 4-5 times/week and 4-5 days a week of running LISS and HIIT. I will usually combine all 3 (weight training, cycling and running) all whilst in a fasted state and eat all calories later in the day . I do not recommend this anyone not familiar with fasted style training nor not a fit individual, but literally the fat will melt off of me day to day with no lose of cycling performance or lose of muscle. As you can tell I don't like the typical methods of weight loss through gradual progression.

Anything to back this up? Rarely seen this work in practice and if its so easy and so effective, why wouldn't you recommend it?

Not easy by any stretch of the imagination. Fasted cycling of 20-30 miles followed by lifting weights followed by running 3-7 miles all in a fasted state followed by a restricted caloric diet. This is not for any sort of beginner or even a lot of advanced athletes that is why I don't recommend this way of training, but the fat (not muscle) literally falls off on a day to day basis. You have to train your body to function off of no food in the system and to use body fat as energy.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Samuel Sanchez Gonzalez

by Samuel Sanchez Gonzalez

If I may follow the off-topic, exercising or riding in the morning, having a light lunch and riding your bike in the evening is a good way to burn fat without being too extreme on the fasting thing.