2015 'PRO' cycling discussion

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

mentok

by mentok

I wish i could find more enjoyment in watching Valverde win. I enjoyed the finish, just not the result.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

micky

by micky

Correct me if wrong but, Daniel Martin crashed at Amstel, Fleche and Liegi.

DanW

by DanW

^ Re Valverde: I find myself going the other way in how I feel about him winning- There isn't a cheat I am especially fond of but his racing brain is a cut above the majority and that has always shined through, regardless of how his legs or the legs of his competitors around him are powered at various times in his career. I guess all he is missing is a stronger TT but he is a fantastic all round rider

DartanianX

by DartanianX

Not sure if this has been posted, splinter camo Tarmac to go along with his venge.

And the new Nabali Tarmac

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Last edited by DartanianX on Mon Apr 27, 2015 10:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

davidalone

by davidalone

KWalker wrote:
dbecks7 wrote:It is not hard at all to lose quite a bit of weight in short periods. My own experience I can easily lose close to 15lbs in a month through a extreme caloric deficit (>1000 calories) as well as fasted cycling of around 20-30 miles of varying intensity levels. On top of this weight lifting 4-5 times/week and 4-5 days a week of running LISS and HIIT. I will usually combine all 3 (weight training, cycling and running) all whilst in a fasted state and eat all calories later in the day . I do not recommend this anyone not familiar with fasted style training nor not a fit individual, but literally the fat will melt off of me day to day with no lose of cycling performance or lose of muscle. As you can tell I don't like the typical methods of weight loss through gradual progression.

Anything to back this up? Rarely seen this work in practice and if its so easy and so effective, why wouldn't you recommend it?

I had similar experiences in cross country. alot of us were certainly on very restricted diets. I don'tr recall what it was exactly, though. on season we would drop easily 2-4 kg from the off season. ( for reference- back then my height was 179cm and 60kg off season, on season I could go as low as 56 odd kg. so it's not as if I was fat and lost alot of weight fast. ) I wouldn't say no 'drops' in performance- obviously we would do better in some races and there would be the usual peaks and valleys. didn't lose any muscle, so far as I recall ( then again, XC runnre don't have musch msucle to begin with)

it is NOT easy. it requires alot of self-discipline and alot of the time it is actually rather miserable doing it, especially if, like me, you like food. it is also not cheap because you can't go out and grab the most convenient thing for lunch/dinner.

bruno2000

by bruno2000

And a gainb a big win for the Camyon Aeroad SLX...must be the bike ;-)

I also saw Kwiakovski was not riding his world champion color bike.
Any reason?
Or just technical issues?

maquisard

by maquisard

micky wrote:Correct me if wrong but, Daniel Martin crashed at Amstel, Fleche and Liegi.

Good news for Cervelo, last year the number of Garmin-Sharp team crashes made their product look bad, especially in the TT's. This year Cannondale-Garmin have continued their crash-fest.

It's not about the bike!

MattBeOne

by MattBeOne

ten Dam now also on the black Bianchi during LBL. An getting his contract discussion under way for the next season ;)

Tinea Pedis

by Tinea Pedis

bruno2000 wrote:I also saw Kwiakovski was not riding his world champion color bike.
Any reason?
Or just technical issues?

He hot the deck earlier.

Three Katusha in the final kms, was theirs to lose...and they lost it.

HillRPete

by HillRPete

Tinea Pedis wrote:Three Katusha in the final kms, was theirs to lose...and they lost it.

But did you find any tactical or other mistakes? They certainly threw everything they had at Valverde.

fa63

by fa63

I was going to say the same thing. It is difficult to beat an in-form Valverde, especially in a finish like that one.

I hate Valverde's past, but I have to say the guy knows how to race his bike and win races (the 2013 Worlds stand as a notable exception).

Frolle

by Frolle

When Caruso was in the strong 3-man break with Fuglsang and Kreuziger, Caruso didn't do much work because of Rodriguez behind. If Caruso had worked 100% with the other two guys there was a good chance they could have made it all the way and Caruso/Katusha would have had a good chance of a win.

Bad tactics imho.

kkibbler

by kkibbler

Frolle wrote:Caruso didn't do much work because of Rodriguez behind.

I have no idea what this means. More likely that he didn't work much because he was with 2 Astana. Also, it meant Purito and co didn't have to work much because of Caruso in front.

Frolle

by Frolle

Caruso was not with 2 Astana guys. He was with Fuglsang/Astana and Kreuziger/Tinkoff-Saxo. A very strong three-man break.

Caruso's leader, Rodriguez, was in the group behind. I believe that was why Caruso didn't participate much in working in the break. That probably resulted in Kreuziger and Fuglsang not continuing to giving it 100%.

Caruso would have had a good chance of beating them both in a sprint, even if he had did his share of work in the group.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

de zwarten

by de zwarten

It seems hard these days to just watch a race and comprehend what is happening, for some!

So here is my how-the-race-was-won:
Caruso was never together with 2 of Astana, that was Chavez in the group that was reeled in before Roche-aux-faucons (with Kangert and Scarponi).
Next was an attack from Kreuziger on Roche-aux-Faucons. Caruso followed but did not want to cooperate. Fuglsang closed the gap on his own, and worked after taking some rest in the slipstream. Caruso only started to cooperate when they were almost caught at Sain-Nicolas.

The only good reason Caruso shouldn't cooperate came on that climb, because it was clear that Fuglsang was one of the better riders going up the steep sections of Sain-Nicolas. So on the top, Valverde had tried but except for ditching Kwiatkowski, Gilbert, ... no big things happened. Bardet tried to attack, but Caruso was leading the group and controlling the action.

Katusha had 3 men, but at the last K, Caruso was well spend. They still had Moreno who tried to exhaust Valverde. Miracles don't happen on climbs, so when Valverde caught Moreno after some pokering, the guys in his wheel (Rodriguez and co) didn't really have any fresher legs so Valverde duly won. No surprises, no tactical mistakes, a very though and fast race and the best won. The one difference this time, is a Valverde who actually rode like he should have so many races before, tactically: he was the fastest guy, and he controlled the attacks. In previous races, he always let go a final attack to take 2nd or 3rd. So kudos to him for finally applying some sound tactics.