2015 'PRO' cycling discussion

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

KWalker

by KWalker

ave wrote:>it is possible to drop big weight if you eat right. you just need the discipline to do it.
Plz. It's possible from a bodybuilder's body.
But from a hard training cyclist it seems a bit more tricky. I don't train too hard, don't eat too right, but I don't have much body fat. I'm sure I could drop 1-2 kilos, but I find it strange that a top pro can be so out of shape as I am at any time of year.

As for no money meaning someone being clean... Far from it. I know amateur cyclists who are clearly doped, and there is absolutely no financial reward for him. He just likes to be very good at what he likes to do.

Easy math for ya:
3500cal in 1lb of fat
400cal deficit per training day 5x/week for 2,000cal/wk deficit

Losing 5lbs of fat would then take 8.75 weeks of dieting at that rate. Lets not forget water weight or the fact that he quit drinking booze, which at 2 beers a day could get most of that deficit for him. He also started in the off-season and base season when his performance didn't matter as much. Endurance activity doesn't directly depend on muscle mass so say he lost a full 2lbs of muscle we're not far off the stated figures being very conservative.

Oh and he has 3 of the top nutritionists in the world looking after him, Gatorade handling all of his fueling needs, 3 coaches, and in some cases a personal chef. All he has to do is ride, eat, do as told. Its like a lab experiment. Know plenty of athletes, even people on this board that have lost as much weight and maintained or in some cases gained power. He won't sit at that weight all year. Even if he used cortisone he couldn't drop that much that quickly just on the drugs alone. Cortisone can "dry you out", but its not a long lasting or permanent effect.
Don't take me too seriously. The only person that doesn't hate Froome.
Gramz
Failed Custom Bike

Ahillock

by Ahillock

What was Porte's supposed weight before and what is it currently? Seemed pretty lean to me before. Was there much there to further get rid of?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Raineman

by Raineman

2014 TdU

2015 P-N

jooo

by jooo

It's hard to tell from photos and something as simple as being dehydrated could make a difference on someone who's already lean.

To me, Porte seems to have gotten slightly leaner each of the last few seasons and his thighs also seem smaller than a few years ago. Take a look at this pudgy little guy haha

wingguy

by wingguy

Also... these guys just lie about their weight, y'know? It's psychological warfare.

"I'm 8 kilos lighter than last year" is like "we're going to put down 475W from the foot of the final HC climb and see who can hold on". It's intimidation.

KWalker

by KWalker

^Every time I say that people refuse to believe. Just how boxers, MMA fighters, weightlifters, bodybuilders, and basically anyone in any sport where weight matters lies about their weight.
Don't take me too seriously. The only person that doesn't hate Froome.
Gramz
Failed Custom Bike

53x12

by 53x12

Not sure this is the weekend, but keep an eye on Julian Alaphilippe. Kid has a bright future.
"Marginal gains are the only gains when all that's left to gain is in the margins."

lippythelion

by lippythelion

I'm going to pick Nibali for the top step at LBL on Sunday.

53x12

by 53x12

I gotta go with Valverde. He has to be the favorite until he proves otherwise.
"Marginal gains are the only gains when all that's left to gain is in the margins."

Geoff

by Geoff

+1. Ballaverde is flying out there.

hornedfrog

by hornedfrog

nathanong87 wrote:brad wiggins bike nonDS doe.

maybe his first time ever on sram?

Old post I know, but just realized the Zipps are carbon clinchers. Surely THIS won't be he race bike....right? :unbelievable:

But in all seriousness, can anyone recall of a pro tour rider option for carbon clinchers in a mass start race? And yes yes I know of the occasional Tony Martin running clinchers in some TTs, but I'm talking straight up road race. Also aware of reliability, the supple nature of a tubular, and pinch flats and stuff like that. I think its just an interesting point to make...

de zwarten

by de zwarten

I think it was AG2R that raced on Hutchinson clinchers some years ago. I can't figure out if this was standard or just some tests, and if these were tubeless or clinchers.
Googling this only pointed to this very forum ;-)
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=30225

bfno

by bfno

Surely Wiggo will get to ride Wireless. This bike looks like it is just set up for photos judging by the lack of pedals and PM.
Venge | Shiv TT | Langster | Dogma 60.1 | CruX | Aeroad CF SLX (WIP)

Samuel Sanchez Gonzalez

by Samuel Sanchez Gonzalez

@de swarten

There were many french teams on clinchers between 2000 and 2010, mostly because sponsored by Michelin. (successively Bouygues, Ag2r, Française des Jeux)

You must be refering to FDJ who raced at least two or three seasons on Hutchinson Fusion tubeless paired on Shimano 7850 wheels in the cobbled classics.
Gilbert won Het Volk on tubeless, long time ago already. (2008 I think)

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

dbecks7

by dbecks7

It is not hard at all to lose quite a bit of weight in short periods. My own experience I can easily lose close to 15lbs in a month through a extreme caloric deficit (>1000 calories) as well as fasted cycling of around 20-30 miles of varying intensity levels. On top of this weight lifting 4-5 times/week and 4-5 days a week of running LISS and HIIT. I will usually combine all 3 (weight training, cycling and running) all whilst in a fasted state and eat all calories later in the day . I do not recommend this anyone not familiar with fasted style training nor not a fit individual, but literally the fat will melt off of me day to day with no lose of cycling performance or lose of muscle. As you can tell I don't like the typical methods of weight loss through gradual progression.