WHY? Motor pacing on STRAVA! Taking Hard earned KOM's

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

Hbrown

by Hbrown

Motor Pacing. Using a motor operated vehicle to ride behind, in order to train at high speeds with little to no wind resistance.

One Pro on Strava, to remain nameless, motor paced around a popular route for cyclist, and took twelve Hard earned KOM's from Cyclists who ride without the aid of a wind blocking motor operated vehicle, in one single ride!

After seeing this on Strava, I looked up his profile on Strava, and there he was smiling as if to laugh at us mortals! He has motor paced all over the USA, and half of his KOM's were due to taking KOM's by Motor pacing! He has 13 pages of KOM's!

Should this be allowed? I think not! If you motor pace to train, please make your activity private, so as not to take KOM's from riders who give their all to get the KOM. Fighting the wind! Day after day of pushing yourself to your limit in the hope of seeing yourself at the top of the leader board! No coasting, all pedal, human power'd times.

Not coasting, getting sucked along by the vehicles vacumn as you pedal enough to stay in the slipstream of the vehicle. Don't get me wrong I know motor pacing is hard. I know that it takes skill. But it is not KOM worthy! It is not a leval playing field. It is due to a motor vehicle.

Please make assisted KOM's private! Or else, I will rent a Uhaul Truck, get a set of walkie talkies, build a tent overhang for the rear. And just ride along every cycling route that I know, and take 100's if not thousands of KOM's from deserving riders. Would that make me a a$$hole??
Would that make KOM's meaningless? I think so.

All joking aside, Please make assisted rides private, because I lost 2 Kom's to this person, he took ten minutes off of my times. I don't think I can male up ten minutes in 8.5 miles. Do you?

ghostrider1tm

by ghostrider1tm

thank you for adding to my list of reasons why i have no interest in strava, garmin, power meters or all the other distractions which take away from the simple joy of riding my bike....it's supposed to be fun...

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Rick

by Rick

You should write a very detailed letter to President Obama about this. It is just another example of inequality that needs to be rectified.

wojchiech

by wojchiech

fyi, you can flag segments for particular reasons - one of which is invalid times on the leaderboard.

btompkins0112

by btompkins0112

^ this....flag the rides. Simple.

eric

by eric

KOMs are already meaningless. Some people take Strava way too seriously. If you want to race get a license and line up.

MisterNoChain

by MisterNoChain

Only 13 pages? Laurens Ten Dam has 93 :thumbup:

MattSoutherden

by MattSoutherden

Strava KOMs were last meaningful in about, what, 2010?
Snacking on carrot sticks - Where did it all go so wrong?
-
Finsbury Park CC

grouk

by grouk

Hbrown wrote:After seeing this on Strava, I looked up his profile on Strava, and there he was smiling as if to laugh at us mortals! He has motor paced all over the USA,

so what??
i am a avid strava user i think is a good trainig tool, and very motivaiting to go out and ride, but i train not for strava, i train for me,
dont take it so serious

Leviathan

by Leviathan

Ranks right up there with "Starbucks used the wrong sort of cocoa on my skinny soya late" as another first world complaint Im amazed anyone could ever give a fcuk about.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Frankie - B
Admin - In the industry

by Frankie - B

locked by me.
'Tape was made to wrap your GF's gifts, NOT hold a freakin tire on.'
If you want to see 'meh' content of me and my bike you can follow my life in pictures here!