Oakley Rx "progressive" cycling specific

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

bangkok

by bangkok

In replacing 4~5 year old Oakley Rx cycling glasses I see some nice new features, perhaps common knowledge to many with newer shades.

The attraction is “progressive” lenses, and sport-specific for cycling; where there is an effective digital tri-focal lens with appropriately varying power for long, short, and peripheral vision fields as relate to that sport. It means, in theory, that one can see far distance up the road with equal clarity to near distance read of the bike computer ... which I’d love to have.

http://www.oakley.com/en/technology/eyewear ... see oakley true digital sport specific
http://velonews.competitor.com/2014/01/ ... der_315126 ... see progressive lenses

Several leading online Oakley vendors make no mention of this, and the local Oakley dealers were clueless. When pressed they dug out an Oakley order form with tick box for the particular sport (3 supported: cycling, golf, fishing), and without which one doesn’t get the cycling layout with a progressive lens order.

I’ve ordered and will see of it’s worthwhile ...

bangkok

by bangkok

If an eyeglass wearer is interested ... I received the 'progressive lens' ...

The lens is normal plastic and undistinguishable from a normal lens ... there are no bi-focal lines.

The bi/tri focal power is as designed; where the top maybe 60% of the lens is for long distance viewing, and the bottom centre for short distance.

The result is that I can easily see the bike computer clearly and constantly ... and this is a nice improvement.

Happy camper, and a new tech and new trick learned.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

funtez

by funtez

Great, thanks for the update, I was erring on the edge of going rx Oakleys but in the end have got some contact lenses. Good to know that these are available if and when I need them tho. Enjoy!

dmp

by dmp

I have the Rudy Project progressive lenses (I have a pair of clear ones that I use as eye protection in the operating room, too) and they are very good. There are really 2 ways to go about this. You can get the progressive lens made to replace the standard lens, or you can get a progressive insert that clips in behind the standard non-prescription lens. While the first sounds far better there is one limitation that you need to keep in mind. Cycling glasses have a very pronounced curvature (for obvious reasons of eye protection). That curvature, however, may introduce some distortion when a prescription is added. A really good lens will minimize this effect but cannot eliminate it entirely. Your eye (well, your brain, really) will eventually compensate for this, but some people find it very disturbing for a while.

If you are only presbyopic and the main limitation is reading the cycle computer, look at the bifocals for cycling made by Dual.

dmp

by dmp

I have the Rudy Project progressive lenses (I have a pair of clear ones that I use as eye protection in the operating room, too) and they are very good. The information for them is right on the Rudyproject website, and I got mine directly through my optician without any difficulty. There are really 2 ways to go about this. You can get the progressive lens made to replace the standard lens, or you can get a progressive insert that clips in behind the standard non-prescription lens. While the first sounds far better there is one limitation that you need to keep in mind. Cycling glasses have a very pronounced curvature (for obvious reasons of eye protection). That curvature, however, may introduce some distortion when a prescription is added. A really good lens will minimize this effect but cannot eliminate it entirely. Your eye (well, your brain, really) will eventually compensate for this, but some people find it very disturbing for a while.

If you are only presbyopic and the main limitation is reading the cycle computer, look at the bifocals for cycling made by Dual.

bangkok

by bangkok

Thanks for the info and you obviously know your related stuff. The availability of progressive lens tech was unknown to me.

I have Oakley Fast Jacket frames ... which provide 'quick-release' lens swap, and ride clear lens pre-dawn ... where the new progressive lens enabled cycle PC visibility is greatly appreciated.

It was dumb luck that I stumbled across mention of progressive lenses, and I thought I'd post this if there were others like me out there.

I'm getting double the value of the cycle PC data now as it's so easy to see.

Rick

by Rick

For me, progressive lenses are the only way to go. I have been using them for quite a few years. It allows you to see clearly at every distance (glance down at computer, look down the road, at the wheel in front, etc....all in clear focus.)
At many eyeglass outlets (including walmart) you can get them installed in many types of frames. I have a wrap-around pair of Smiths and a pair of "Liberties" from Walmart.

In the world of progressive lenses the "varilux" brand is truly superior and has a much more natural feel to them. I know this from sad experience with other brands. Varilux does a lot of research to get the transitions and peripheral vision focus to feel natural, because there is always some error involved since the eye is not stationary behind the lens. The cheaper ones work OK, but can create odd feelings like you are always walking down a tunnel, etc..

Varilux info:
http://www.variluxusa.com/technology.html

I have no connection....just a satisfied customer.

Mario Jr.

by Mario Jr.

I am thinking of getting some prescription lenses for my Radarlock glasses. But as I haven't ever seen a precription lens myself, a google search gives some weird results, meaning that according to the pics that comes up, the precription lenses looks like an additional lens has been put on top of the original one?

Can anybody post a picture of a precription lens or at least confirm that the lens looks much like a normal one? I only have -0.75 on both eyes, so I don't *need* precriptions, but would like to see more clearly in the distance. Especially when riding somehere scenic. :-)

c50jim

by c50jim

I'm not sure if you can get prescription Radarlocks. You'd have to check with Oakley or a good optician on that.

After many years of wearing only reading glasses, I had to go to full time glasses last year. I bought a pair of Flak Jackets, progressive and transition. I'd had a pair of transition FJs and liked them. The new lenses were a lot thicker and heavier than the old ones and the glasses don't stay on as well as the plain lenses. So, the optician suggested we try progressive without transition and see if they were thinner. I also went back to Half Jackets for these glasses since I'd really liked those in the past and they were back on the market. When the HJ2s arrived, they were thick too. They stay in place a bit better than the FJs but because of the extra weight they do want to slide down my nose a bit. In both cases, my prescription lenses are one piece (as are the old HJ non-progressive lenses I bought a few years ago) not additional lenses.

So, I'd say that both progressive and transition work well but the thicker lens is heavier and not quite as comfortable as the regular, non-progressive lens. I've considered buying non-progressives but find the ability to see both near and far is so welcome that I tolerate the feel of the heavier lens.

bangkok

by bangkok

I have M-Frame's ... a similar earlier version of Radar Lock. Prescription lenses one each for right/left eye, and so are an add-on to the one piece shield. The prescription lenses are installed as a cut-out to the shield, and are visibly thicker on both front/rear sides. You can google this for an image, but here is one link:

http://www.adseyewear.com/prescription- ... ock-pitch/

I rode these (M Frames) for almost 5 years, and while they look a little weird, they work well. I can comment that they are harder to clean with the varying surfaces, and that the nose piece constantly comes off in the process. I switched to a standard two piece frame for this reason.

All in, after riding 100 meters, with new pair I feel it's been money well spent.

Richt1978

by Richt1978

I have a couple of pairs of prescription RX Radarlocks, and from an appearance point of view the two lens inserts in the main shield do look a bit goofy, as above they do stick out quite a bit, nice optics though.

If you choose Racing Jackets or ones with individual lenses they are a better option appearance wise if you want you prescription ones to look identical to the normal ones.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com