Road bike rental in San Francisco

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

hilts

by hilts

Seems like we got quite a few guys on here that are based in or around SF.

Im headed across the pond for a couple of weeks on vacation, and if the occasion arises I will try to get a couple of days of riding in, and therefore I need some recommendations for where one can rent a decent roadbike. I prefer to think that the people on here are a bit more reliable and picky in regards to what bikes they are riding compared to the average tourist that leave reviews on the sites that show up on Google.

Other suggestions are welcome aswell. Decent bikeshops, routes, grouprides etc.

FIJIGabe

by FIJIGabe

I just came back from SF. Most of the rentals out there are hybrids, and I don't recall seeing any rental road bikes online, when I did my search. However, if you decide to bring your bike, be careful: TSA at SFO did a number to my bike! Let's just say that I'm looking for quotes to repair the paint on my frame and my wife's fork, as well as a new rear derailleur hanger for my bike. I've got at least a couple hundred dollars worth of damage between the two bikes.

As for good rides, there are a bunch! One of the popular ones is the Paradise loop, from Sausalito to Tiburon. You can cross over the the Golden Gate Bridge, then take bike lane 5 (I believe), over to Sausalito.

Another ride we did was to cross over the bridge, but rather than heading east, head west, up the hill immediately adjacent to the parking lot. We did 29 miles and had over 2700ft. of climbing. For flatlanders, like myself, this was quite a challenge!

Have fun on your trip!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

thegunner

by thegunner

sports basement (the one in praesidio near the GGB) does very reasonably priced caad10 rentals, just do it well in advance (i think $25 a day?)

eric

by eric

http://udcbikerental.com/

I did some tours with them a while back and got to know the company owner. He's a bike enthusiast and a good guy.

The south bay and peninsula have a lot of good routes and group rides.

bdb

by bdb

These guys are in Sausalito and have a few nice bikes

http://www.sausalitobikeco.com/

OrenciaB

by OrenciaB

Even though Sports Basement was already mentioned, some locations do wheel rentals along with your road bike if you want to be fancy! If you're willing to drive half an hour or so from SF, I would suggest doing the HOP (House of Pain) ride in Danville. Rapha, Mash SF, Mikes Bikes, Wrench Science and other smaller bike shops have their shop rides on weekends and weekdays as well. Or if you want to check out our racing scene here, look at the Northern California race schedule at NCNCA.org
Hey does all that Rapha and Hi-vis make you faster?

mellowJohnny

by mellowJohnny

Did some research last year and found these guys:

http://pacbikes.com/articles/bikes-trav ... -pg126.htm

Carbon Road Rentals

We also offer the Giant TCR Composite 2 for rent.

$60/day (return by closing)

$70/Overnight (24 Hours+)

$50 for each additional day

$320 for 1 week

$130 for the weekend

$1500 authorization/deposit required.

terrymorse58

by terrymorse58

FYI, I've started a page that lists bike rental companies in the San Francisco Bay Area.

You can filter results to show companies within a specified distance of any city. Company listing shows yelp ratings, too:

https://gobikenow.com/companies/

-
terry morse

bdb

by bdb

My vote, spend the $150 to join the Rapha Cycle Club, then rent a Canyon Aeroad for $25 . day.

Works out cheaper than almost anything else out there.

Plus you get free coffee, and you can rent in any other spot where Rapha have clubs for that same $25

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

ntb1001

by ntb1001

bdb wrote:My vote, spend the $150 to join the Rapha Cycle Club, then rent a Canyon Aeroad for $25 . day.

Works out cheaper than almost anything else out there.

Plus you get free coffee, and you can rent in any other spot where Rapha have clubs for that same $25
really like this option!!

Sent from my SM-G935W8 using Tapatalk