Strava flagging, now you can sign a waiver.

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

Bondurant

by Bondurant

I think caring so much about Strava and how people (ab)use it is borderline tragic.

Zoose

by Zoose

I agree that caring too much about Strava and taking the most KOM's is misguided but I use it to gauge efforts between the people that I ride with that I know don't just go out and ride Strava segments. It is a competitive aspect that you can't take too seriously but it fun and interesting to compare. When people flag obviously safe segments or similar it's just one less place to compare. I also use it to compare progress with a grain of salt obviously because as someone said, conditions change.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

HammerTime2
Location: Wherever there's a mountain beckoning to be climbed

by HammerTime2

I think caring so much about people caring so much about Strava and how people (ab)use it is borderline tragic. Well, not borderline tragic, as it would be borderline tragic if I actually felt it was borderline tragic.

nickl

by nickl

Hbrown wrote:
You and your group do a decsent at 50mph carving the heck out of it. Laughing joking screaming and having fun, in control, relaxed, and just having a good time. Now some one else comes down that same decsent, doing only 10mph sitting straight up and shaking, Big difference in skill levels, right. Should they be allowed to flagg that decsent?

Single person flagging needs to be stopped!!

Suddenly it becomes clear. Your KOMs are downhill segments.

IMHO all downhill segments shouldn't have leaderboards, especially if the KOM requires breaking the speed limit.

(I'm a pretty good descender. I just think the oneupmanship of Strava on descents is dangerous)

mattr

by mattr

IIRC there are a few of the bigger descents which are blocked permanently, thanks to dipsticks thinking they can descend really well, chasing a time set either with favourable conditions (traffic/wind/closed Road/etc) or by someone who really can descend, then smearing themselves all over the road/hillside/traffic.

The authorities take a dim view of people "racing" on the public highway, without the requisite permits......... thankfully.

nathanong87
Resident master of GIF

by nathanong87

like zomg, i have one less picture of a crown online....

but real question.... how do yal even keep track of that.....

1. YES , omg i got a crown
2. f8 f8 f8 f8 f8 (refresh)
3. wait.... where did my crown go ლ(ಠ_ಠლ)

jmilliron

by jmilliron

Unless you've got the option disabled, you receive a heart wrenching email when your KOM gets taken.

I haven't had a meaningful KOM in years. Ain't even on the first page anymore. Feels like most cyclists here use Strava and it's a deep pool.
2013 Wilier Cento1 SR || 2009 Ridley Crossbow || 2011 Yeti AS-R 5 Carbon

jmilliron

by jmilliron

2013 Wilier Cento1 SR || 2009 Ridley Crossbow || 2011 Yeti AS-R 5 Carbon

nathanong87
Resident master of GIF

by nathanong87

jmilliron wrote:Unless you've got the option disabled, you receive a heart wrenching email when your KOM gets taken.

I haven't had a meaningful KOM in years. Ain't even on the first page anymore. Feels like most cyclists here use Strava and it's a deep pool.

i mean of the flagging KOM thing

kulivontot

by kulivontot

What browser refreshes with F8?

nathanong87
Resident master of GIF

by nathanong87

lol fair enough , well played sir.
Last edited by Frankie - B on Fri Oct 31, 2014 1:54 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: deleted the quote.