Strava flagging, now you can sign a waiver.

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

Hbrown

by Hbrown

Finally you can now veiw the leaderboards for flagged segments. It's a big step in the right direction, but it is still a step. You still don't get your KOM's back. But it does show the leaders.

Flagging has gotten so out of hand on Strava. People flag rides for what seems to be a whim. You lose a KOM, flag it. You can't beat a KOM, flag it. You perceive it as dangerous, but someone who's skill levels are Higher, see's it as, nothing to sweat at. Some people ride at 4am and get KOM's, No cars or joggers, You go out at rush hour to go after a KOM and call it a Hazard!

The cheaters are always there! Me personally, I can't understand cheating on Strava, Because you are only cheating yourself! Why?

Life would be so much better if people knew their skill levels. I wish that there was something out there that could show us our skill levals. Oh wait, their is! STRAVA ,GARMIN, and many others show you what leval you are at.

Flagging still should be done by multiple votes, not just one person. Remember when you first started riding? Going downhill at 60mph was unthinkable. you might have just flagged such a ride. Now you live for it!

dha

by dha

My one and only KOM gets beat by local MTB guys who don't turn their garmin off on the drive home. Has happened about 10 times. That should be an obvious one to flag with one vote no?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

G60

by G60

The waiver isn't much of a fix. There should be some sort of peer review instead of flagged segments disappearing with no appeal from other riders.

Someone flagged a 3 mile flat segment here recently that has no intersections, very little traffic, and a glass-smooth 5 foot wide shoulder to ride on. :noidea:
If I see a segment that isn't actually hazardous has been flagged, I'll just create a new identical segment, but for the segment I just mentioned, it didn't register any rides prior to the date I created it. So what used to have a couple thousand attempts now only has about 20.

It's not rampant around here like it may be in other areas, but sometimes I think to myself "sheesh, if you think that's hazardous, go home, lock yourself inside your house, and keep your helmet on at all times."

bombertodd

by bombertodd

How long ago did you create the segment G60? It can take a few days to fully populate the leaderboard.

wingguy

by wingguy

dha wrote:My one and only KOM gets beat by local MTB guys who don't turn their garmin off on the drive home. Has happened about 10 times. That should be an obvious one to flag with one vote no?

Flagging a ride vs flagging a segment are two different things.

Hbrown

by Hbrown

Does this ring a bell? A segment ridden by thousands. You get the KOM. GREAT! Check the next day and it's flagged!! You extend it at the start and at the end rename it. get the KOM! Check the next day and its flagged again!!

You find out that it was flagged by some Fred, who rides 20 miles a week, and never averages over 11 mph. On a bad week You ride 150 miles you average 19-21 mph. You eat right, you train , intervals. He does none. He flagged your ride because he thinks everyone should not be better than another, and that we should all be equal. This is the person who flagged your KOM! Why?

Stop the single person FLAG!

Hbrown

by Hbrown

Just curious, How many KOM's have you lost to Flagging?

Gregorio

by Gregorio

I lost over 50 kom's over night due to some one flagging rides. Strava would not tell me who flagged them. But if I knew what ride was flagged strava would check it out and re instate it.

@hbrown how did you find out who flagged it?

2 weeks ago I came across 2 other segments that I had the kom for and now I don't. But not because some one beat my time.
It's bs how flagging rides and segments works. But I don't have answers how to fix it.

glepore

by glepore

Go race, really...
Cysco Ti custom Campy SR mechanical (6.9);Berk custom (5.6); Serotta Ottrott(6.8) ; Anvil Custom steel Etap;1996 Colnago Technos Record

liketoride

by liketoride

Gregorio

Sounds like you pissed someone off because you have more skill than that person and they took it out on you. That is not be right. I live around people that cannot find the off button before they get back in their car. So i have lost a couple of KOM's to people that go 53mph uphill. I think people at strava look at the flag to make sure it is something that they should be taking down.

vdrey

by vdrey

Its nice riding in an area with no other riders except for family members.

My strava segments all have just 2 or 3 people on the leader board, so the are effectively just used for PR stuff.

Rick

by Rick

Welcome to the netterwebs; idiots abound.

The Strava solutions are: set up a club of people you know and the compare yourself only to them, or compare yourself names you know for sure don't cheat. KOMs are really just ridiculous when you have anonymous people going twice as fast as people you know are top Cat 1&2 and Pro racers.

Enter real races if you are really that competitive.

I don't see any real solution for Strava. Your never going to get the Supreme Court to rule on every KOM authenticity. I had one of my segments disappear as "flagged" (I was not KOM but I had created it) and I just thought "weird"!

kbbpll

by kbbpll

My first thought was, well, Strava better fix something or they'll start losing customers, but then my second thought was, well, Strava's basic design is to be a giant wankfest anyway. I tried it a couple years ago and dumped my profile after about 24 hours. My local 11 mile 3000' climb had about a dozen silly segments. WTF? The whole climb is the KOM, not some stupid 300m from this mailbox to that fencepost. But I'm sure some people find it useful, I guess.

mattr

by mattr

I joined a few weeks ago. There are only about 50 or 60 segments within sensible riding distance of me!
None of them with more than a dozen riders.

If i could really be bothered i'd start actually putting some GPS data on there, but really, meh.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

ToffieBoi

by ToffieBoi

kbbpll wrote:My first thought was, well, Strava better fix something or they'll start losing customers, but then my second thought was, well, Strava's basic design is to be a giant wankfest anyway. I tried it a couple years ago and dumped my profile after about 24 hours. My local 11 mile 3000' climb had about a dozen silly segments. WTF? The whole climb is the KOM, not some stupid 300m from this mailbox to that fencepost. But I'm sure some people find it useful, I guess.

I actually do it on several climbs around my home too. Main reason that, people are using some parts of the climbs for sprint intervals or others. So they need to see their process over time. Strava segments and VeloViewer are great for it together. You see your process step by step...
Problem with them is, they don't create the segment as secret.
Maybe their friends are also using the same segment? I don't know...