Winter Softshell Jacket

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

campbellrae

by campbellrae

I'm looking for a softshell for this winter. I have read through the winter jackets thread from a couple of years ago but assumed things have moved on a bit in the interim, so looking for more up to date info. Most of my riding is done between -5 & 8 oC, with a lot of wind and showers or rain(I already have a full waterproof if it's really nasty, but it's not breathable enough for a lot of the time). Ideally the jacket would be:

Wind proof

Water resistant(1-2 hours before I start getting wet would be great)

Breathable

Not black, with some reflective detailing, as most of my riding through the winter is at dawn/dusk and in the dark

A close fit, I don't like my kit flapping around in the wind

I was looking around the £150-200 mark, but would be willing to stretch a little higher if it's worth it, although less wouldn't be an issue!

Cheers,

Campbell.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Frankie - B
Admin - In the industry

by Frankie - B

For my body, tall and slender, assos really works great. the Ijshaq uno is the cheap winter jkt it flaps a bit. Assos also offer the assos IJ.bonka6 esp in the Cento fit that thing is tight. great buy that will keep you dry and warm enough.
'Tape was made to wrap your GF's gifts, NOT hold a freakin tire on.'
If you want to see 'meh' content of me and my bike you can follow my life in pictures here!

HillRPete

by HillRPete

Two hours of waterproofness you're probably starting to look at a rain jacket? Depending on how strong it's raining, and generosity/frequency of using a re-proofing agent, of course.

(Looking to get a Castelli Mortirolo or Zoncolan this winter, but no first hand experience yet)

jdp211

by jdp211

My rapha softshell is one of my favorite pieces I own. The offset zipper, pit zips, and drop flap are all great features

TimmS

by TimmS

My Rapha softshell is my do it all jacket, I use it for all kinds of outdoor sports, through all seasons.

...but it does not have the close fit assos jackets have

campbellrae

by campbellrae

Thanks for the replies so far guys. I should probably clarify, I don't mind if the jacket isn't a full race fit, but would prefer it not to be too loose. For those that bought the Weight Weenies kit, somewhere just looser than the slim fit jersey would be ideal, as it would let me wear a base layer or 2 underneath and still have a good fit.

I had looked at the Rapha softshell, just wish it wasn't black. Does it have much reflective detailing for night riding? I like the look of the Castelli options both the Espresso Due & Zoncolan, but have had issues with consistency in their sizing before so would need to find one to try on, as well as struggling to work out which one is more suited to my intended use.

Has anybody used the Showerpass softshell? I know the Elite waterproof is well thought of. Doesn't look like a tight fit though.

Rick

by Rick

I think Gore-Tex is great for waterproofness+wind cutting + breathability.
Gore has some good ones, but I have this one (Santini) and think it's a bargain.
http://www.nashbar.com/bikes/Product_10 ... _535983_-1

I wear different layering under it appropriate for different temps, then the jacket is just a shell. It can, of course, be used by itself for chilly winds.

kode54

by kode54

campbellrae wrote:Thanks for the replies so far guys. I should probably clarify, I don't mind if the jacket isn't a full race fit, but would prefer it not to be too loose. For those that bought the Weight Weenies kit, somewhere just looser than the slim fit jersey would be ideal, as it would let me wear a base layer or 2 underneath and still have a good fit.

I had looked at the Rapha softshell, just wish it wasn't black. Does it have much reflective detailing for night riding? I like the look of the Castelli options both the Espresso Due & Zoncolan, but have had issues with consistency in their sizing before so would need to find one to try on, as well as struggling to work out which one is more suited to my intended use.

Has anybody used the Showerpass softshell? I know the Elite waterproof is well thought of. Doesn't look like a tight fit though.

i have a light gray soft-shell when they had a few colors. it also came in red at the time. i was wearing the Assos Bonka and have a Fugu, but the Rapha soft shell is a nice in betweener. i had the black one myself, but ended up selling it to get the light gray one. easier for cars to see in fall and early winter.
- Factor Ostro VAM Disc
- Factor LS Disc
- Specialized Aethos Disc
- Sturdy Ti Allroad Disc
- Guru Praemio R Disc

basilic

by basilic

assos bonka6 cento is a nice jacket (or the wider mille, try which fits better). It's meant to be worn tight over a baselayer (you vary the weight of the baselayer to adapt to conditions), like a jersey. It's windproof over the chest but not the arms, which helps regulate temperature, but gets cold if you ride a longer descent. There is a neck gaiter/partial face mask attached to the collar. I wouldn't trust it below -2, but I guess that's personal. The white one with black details is quite visible in the dark.
PS I don't know how water resistant it is, never had the experience

Frankie - B
Admin - In the industry

by Frankie - B

The thing with sofshell is that the fabric itself is waterproof, but the seams arent taped. because of that you will gat wet at the seams.

@Basilisc, when it freezes, it doesn't rain, but it snows ;P
'Tape was made to wrap your GF's gifts, NOT hold a freakin tire on.'
If you want to see 'meh' content of me and my bike you can follow my life in pictures here!

basilic

by basilic

thanks Frankie, that explains it!
seriously, on cold days I have been taking along a light windbreaker (castelli) to pull over the bonka for downhill sections, otherwise my arms got too cold. I guess there is no issue if you ride in flat terrain.

milehighcyclist

by milehighcyclist

rapha softshell for a great do it all jacket. love all of my rapha gear but the softshell is one of the best pieces i own

limba

by limba

I've had the Rapha Classic softshell for 3 years. It's a great jacket but there's no way it's keeping you dry in rain for more than 40 minutes.

ross

by ross

I have the Rapha softshell as well and agree it's an excellent all round late autumn/winter/early spring jacket but not for all day rain. The rain jacket and hardshell both have taped seams if that is what you're after. The softshell is more suited to cold weather with a risk of showers. Their winter jersey and rain jacket is a good combo for all day cold/rain.

kevinkalis

by kevinkalis

I'd recommend the Gore Alp-X SO 2.0 jacket. Keeps you warm, fairly waterproof and you've got the removable sleeves as well.
K2

Do you suffer more when you train, or cannot train?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com