Good bike maintenance book

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

Roel W

by Roel W

Hi,

I'm looking foor a good and nice bike maintenance and repair book.
Not too basic please (I know how to replace a tire, a cassette and even disambled a few hubs and freewheels).
It should also be nice if the book has a high "coffee table" potential (nice pictures are appreciated).

A search on the internet resulted in this 3 books:

The Classic Park Tool book at £21:

Road Bike Maintenance The Ultimate Guide at only £8,40:

Advanced Road Bike Maintenance: The practical handbook (Haynes) by Dirk Zedler at £20,40:

Any advice??

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

ITTY

by ITTY

Considering companies introduce new "standards" every year, I personally would not commit to buying a bike maintenence book. Especially since all bike maintenence info is easily accessed via the internet. However, if you want something nice for your coffee table, I'm sure you can't go wrong with the Park Tools option.
Moloko Plus 6.24 kg

"We haven't located us yet"

TedStriker

by TedStriker

Can't think any book comes close to a www connection (and as a coffee table book, surely there's better bike based books ;) )

kbbpll

by kbbpll

"Zinn and the Art of Road Bike Maintenance" has a catchy title for your coffee table, but maybe only for a certain age group.

Roel W

by Roel W

kbbpll wrote:"Zinn and the Art of Road Bike Maintenance" has a catchy title for your coffee table, but maybe only for a certain age group.

I had a look inside the book and it seems very basic, despite the catchy title.

Roel W

by Roel W

TedStriker wrote:Can't think any book comes close to a www connection (and as a coffee table book, surely there's better bike based books ;) )

Any suggestions for bike based coffe table books?
Preferably about the hardware (road bikes and components) and not about the sport.

I've got already Campagnolo: 75 Years of Cycling Passion by Paolo Facchinetti and Guido Rubino which is a nice one.
I'm also considering The Custom Road Bike by Guy Andrews.

Dirty32

by Dirty32

Roel W wrote:The Classic Park Tool book at £21:

I have just ordered one of these for myself... Bearing in mind, other than minor adjustments I am only just starting out with the whole 'working / maintaining your own bike' thing.

It probably doesn't seem to be a coffee table style book, more for the home workshop. I haven't yet seen it though, so I will comment when it arrives.

I didnt look into the other books you listed, but the thing I liked about the Park Tools book was that it seemed to have info & contents on all the newer kit - Di2 & EPS, 11 Speed systems, Hydraulic Brakes, info on different BB systems etc. so it seems mostly up to date.

petepeterson

by petepeterson

youtube for motion pictures??

Jamiemcp

by Jamiemcp

Park tools web site and an iPad

uraqt

by uraqt

2nd park tools site... and I am sure that we all forget the usually the manufacture's web site as all the info you need...

C

jekyll man

by jekyll man

Agree, the web is best, esp when things alter after print.
Don't need to check much, but the Park tools site can be very useful.
Official cafe stop tester

stella-azzurra

by stella-azzurra

I recommend this bike forum and any good bike forum or similar web pages over any book. You'll get good information from people first hand that have worked on the specific part or component.
I never took drugs to improve my performance at any time. I will be willing to stick my finger into a polygraph test if anyone with big media pull wants to take issue. If you buy a signed poster now it will not be tarnished later. --Graeme Obree

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Bogan

by Bogan

I use the web, especially the Parks Tools website, and a hard copy of the big blue book. I don't mind getting grease on a workshop book, but I try to keep my iPad a little clean.
MAMIL? Never. O.F.I.L. yeh! (Old F**ker in Lycra)