Anyone in Canada order from Art's Cyclery?

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

jspaceman

by jspaceman

I'm in Canada and I'm thinking of ordering a Dura-Ace 9000 build kit from Art's Cyclery in California. Have any Canadians on here ordered from Art's?

For shipments to Canada they offer two options, UPS Worldwide Saver Shipping and USPS Express Mail. Are the dreaded brokerage fees included with UPS Worldwide Saver? Or will I get hit when I go to pick up the item?

Also, their site states "Shipping to Canada is free via UPS on orders over $250.", however when I put together a build kit (easily over $250) and go to checkout it adds $41 for shipping. Are build kits not eligible for free UPS shipping?

Thanks.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

bikerjulio

by bikerjulio

Perhaps you have been living in a cave for the past few years? :shock:

Don't under any circumstances allow anyone to ship into Canada using UPS, FedEx, DHL etc. You stand a 100% chance of paying full duty and taxes, PLUS hefty brokerage fees, and more tax on the fees.

From the US always use USPS and take your chances with taxes. About 30% IME.

Check Ribble for comparison. Check the Currency and Country boxes at the top of the page.
There's sometimes a buggy.
How many drivers does a buggy have?

One.

So let's just say I'm drivin' this buggy...
and if you fix your attitude you can ride along with me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GekiIMh4ZkM

devinci

by devinci

UPS worldwide saver includes all fees, you won't be charged anything at the door. Plus, its wicked fast

jspaceman

by jspaceman

From reading around it seems as though UPS Ground will incur brokerage fees when the package arrives, but with certain other UPS services the brokerage is already covered in the shipping cost and you'll probably just have to pay HST.

I would prefer to order from Art's because I can pick and choose what components I want, whereas Ribble, PBK, etc. sell groupsets with some parts that I don't need (eg. bottom bracket and cassette).

I think Competitive Cyclist used to offer something similar to Art's, but when I go to their site now I don't see any build kits available.
Last edited by jspaceman on Wed Jul 09, 2014 3:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

goodboyr

by goodboyr

I've ordered lots of stuff from Arts and used the USPS options. 80% of the time there is no hst. Stuff just arrives in my mailbox.

goodboyr

by goodboyr

You may want to try velomine as an alternative. They are my go to place for build kits. Usually good shipping etc to Canada ( I'm in Toronto)

bikerjulio

by bikerjulio

jspaceman wrote:From reading around it seems as though UPS Ground will incur brokerage fees when the package arrives, but with certain other UPS services the brokerage is already covered in the shipping cost and you'll probably just have to pay HST.

As well as myself there's several others on this forum who reside in Ontario and have a fair amount of experience buying from the US or Europe. I don't believe anyone would reccomend UPS despite whatever "free" or "included" deal you may think you are getting. Of course you can choose to ignore the advise requested. Let us know how things work out for you.

And you are also missing the point on duties and taxes. Perhaps you enjoy paying, in which case go ahead with UPS. :lol:

One.

jspaceman

by jspaceman

I'm leaning towards USPS. Sure, it will take longer, but I get some peace of mind.

When it comes to shipping via USPS to Canada it seems like it's hit or miss with regards to paying HST when you pick up the package. Three weeks ago I ordered a cassette from PBK and had it shipped via the postal service. I had to pay HST on it when it arrived. But other times I've ordered parts and didn't have to pay a thing when I went to pick it up.

Another downside to UPS is that I live out in the sticks and work during the day, so there is nobody home to sign for the package when it's delivered. Which means they leave a card at my door and I have to sneak out of work early the next day and drive half an hour to the UPS shipping depot to pick it up (the depot is only open 9-5, Monday to Friday). With the post office I can just walk down the street to pick it up (although they close at 5pm too).

bikerjulio

by bikerjulio

Just curious.

I'm seeing a DA 9000 group as $1631 at Art's, and $1358 at Ribble.

all prices in USD

What's the attraction?

One.

jspaceman

by jspaceman

bikerjulio wrote:Just curious.

all prices in USD

What's the attraction?

Art's lets me configure the build kit whereas Ribble doesn't. I don't need a cassette or bottom bracket, but I do need pedals and a saddle. Art's lets me select 'none' for the cassette and BB, but Ribble won't let me. Unless I'm missing something.

bikerjulio

by bikerjulio

jspaceman wrote:
bikerjulio wrote:Just curious.

all prices in USD

What's the attraction?

Art's lets me configure the build kit whereas Ribble doesn't. I don't need a cassette or bottom bracket, but I do need pedals and a saddle. Art's lets me select 'none' for the cassette and BB, but Ribble won't let me. Unless I'm missing something.

You are missing something.........

You can piece together the individual parts from Ribble. Just put the individual bits in your basket and see. There's no discount for a group from them. It's simply the sum of the individual parts.

One.

jspaceman

by jspaceman

When I went to the Ribble website and selected the DA9000 group it was $1466.65CAD. Building the same group individually costs $1626.39CAD.

bikerjulio

by bikerjulio

jspaceman wrote:When I went to the Ribble website and selected the DA9000 group it was $1466.65CAD. Building the same group individually costs $1626.39CAD.

Not my experience. Did you select any individual pieces with a premium cost? Anyway - still better than Art's.

Another benefit of going an individual selection is that you can choose alternatives like a 105 or Ultegra cassette for big savings (and better durability). Or a KMC chain like I do for instance.

One.

jspaceman

by jspaceman

I ended up ordering the DA9000 stuff from Ribble. I had a hell of a time trying to get it to accept my credit card though. When I got to the SecureCode page it kept telling me my order was not processed. Yet when I checked my credit card info online it showed the money being deducted off my card. Logging into Ribble showed that the order was cancelled. I called the credit card company and got them to cancel the charge. I then re-ordered and paid through PayPal using my credit card. That went through OK and my order was shipped today.

I got an additional 10% off too, as Ribble had some 10% off TDF discount code 'TDF10'. :-)

I also ordered a Fizik Antares saddle from ProBikeKit, as Ribble didn't have the colour I wanted in stock.

Hopefully Canada Customs won't charge me HST on anything. :|

devinci

by devinci

you can rest assured, you will be charged taxes with such a totala amount, 99% sure unless the border officer is drunk.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com