Anyone in Canada order from Art's Cyclery?

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

jspaceman

by jspaceman

I find it's usually hit or miss whether you get charged HST. I ordered a cassette last month from PBK and had to pay HST on it, but I've ordered other stuff in the past where I didn't have to pay a cent in tax.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

devinci

by devinci

Generally speaking, when the declared amount is above 150-200$, you can be pretty sure you'll be charged. Anyways, please, let us know!

bikerjulio

by bikerjulio

devinci wrote:Generally speaking, when the declared amount is above 150-200$, you can be pretty sure you'll be charged. Anyways, please, let us know!

My friend (in Canada) thought he'd game the system and broke up a $1000 groupset order from Ribble into 4 smaller orders. This was in Dec last year. Only one of the 4 got dinged with taxes. 4 had nothing.

He also got a $700 wheelset from them, no taxes.

I'd agree that it seems more likely to get dinged on higher value packages, but not inevitable.
There's sometimes a buggy.
How many drivers does a buggy have?

One.

So let's just say I'm drivin' this buggy...
and if you fix your attitude you can ride along with me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GekiIMh4ZkM

mellowJohnny

by mellowJohnny

Depending on where in Ontario you are, you can rent a box from the UPS Store (ironically) in Lewiston NY, assuming you live close enough for the drive to be worth it, and place a US order.

I've had a box in Lewiston for years, and declare the full value of my goods *every* time I drive back. Don't try and cheat, it's not worth it. I have also never been charged official "duty" by Canada Customs, just HST.

http://lewiston-ny-6143.theupsstorelocal.com

Good luck!

jspaceman

by jspaceman

Well my order from Ribble arrived today. It took only five days. To my amazement the post office didn't charge me HST. I just handed the woman my card and she went back and brought out this big box. I gave them my signature and that was it. :D

jspaceman

by jspaceman

And I had a Fizik Antares saddle arrive from PBK today, also no HST. :-)