Nuseti - a bike with 'hidden' drivetrain

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

tymon_tm

by tymon_tm

http://www.nuseti.com/

i just came across this project - a bike with a hidden/inner drivetrain. i must say i very much dig the idea - although apparently this is just a prototype (?) the bike looks very smooth and clean, and the obvious advantages of this solution make me think this just might be the right direction in the evolution of bicycles. :thumbup: i also found some bits about the future price - around 2-3k euro for the 'frameset', which i think is totally acceptable given how innovatory this bike is.

so... any thoughts?

oh, for those of you with deep pockets, it seems like the guy behind Nuseti (a Polish downhill champ) looks for investors... :idea:
kkibbler wrote: WW remembers.

mjduct

by mjduct

Interesting, I'm assuming a rohloff hub? What's thee service interval on those? I know my alfine needed to be reworked after about 2k miles.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Pharmstrong

by Pharmstrong

It looks like a Pinion-like gearbox with a combination chain case/chain stay. A nice idea but it would only work with hard tails.

As far as I know gearboxes like the pinion currently waste too much energy to make them an attractive alternative to derailleurs.

Rick

by Rick

that has got to be the hokiest promo video I have ever seen ! :)

stella-azzurra

by stella-azzurra

Maybe he can get on Shark Tank and pitch his idea :lol:
I never took drugs to improve my performance at any time. I will be willing to stick my finger into a polygraph test if anyone with big media pull wants to take issue. If you buy a signed poster now it will not be tarnished later. --Graeme Obree

eric

by eric

It's not a new idea. Major Taylor raced a bike with a "hidden drivetrain" in the early 1900s. That one used bevel gears and a shaft drive.

http://collection.rydjor.com/bikecollection/1903tri.htm

Franklin

by Franklin

The problem remains drivetrain losses. Both Nusetti and the more fleshed out Pinion avoid that question. :noidea:

stella-azzurra

by stella-azzurra

eric wrote:It's not a new idea. Major Taylor raced a bike with a "hidden drivetrain" in the early 1900s. That one used bevel gears and a shaft drive.

http://collection.rydjor.com/bikecollection/1903tri.htm

Never said it was a new idea. But they need the money. :mrgreen:
I never took drugs to improve my performance at any time. I will be willing to stick my finger into a polygraph test if anyone with big media pull wants to take issue. If you buy a signed poster now it will not be tarnished later. --Graeme Obree

tymon_tm

by tymon_tm

i'm more interested in the idea itself here rather than this current project. after electronic groupsets and hydraulic brakes (which aren't actually any novelty) it seems like we're likely to hit a wall :noidea:

i can imagine the benefits of integrated drivetrain would be most obvious for those who ride a lot - no need to spend half an hour cleaning your bike after every rainy ride. winter riding on salty roads? why not! just a tad of good lube and you're squeak-free for hundrets of miles. those who travel with bikes would find it easier too - no worries to get your hands dirty. i imagine shop owners would love the idea too as i can imagine producers would require the bike to be maintained at the lbs for the warranty reasons - and it's always good for business to have your customers visit you on a regular basis. possibly some aero advantages could come alogn too.

downsides? aside from weight the broken chain issues, i can't see any...
kkibbler wrote: WW remembers.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Pharmstrong

by Pharmstrong

They add a substantial amount of weight for no added gear range and they waste energy.