Where to stay in Rome

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

ultimobici
in the industry

by ultimobici

I've signed up for the GF Roma in October and need to sort an apartment to rent in Rome. Can anyone tell me areas of Rome to avoid?

Thanks

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Franklin

by Franklin

Deleted the quote. Please read this: viewtopic.php?f=7&t=126225

You mean avoid pricewise? In my experience Rome is all over the place with prices (cheap and expensive mixed), but compared to Amsterdam, Paris and London food is cheap. Indeed, a (what else) good pizzeria for a smashing price can be found everywhere. Also, the jewish Quarter has good food, Indeed, I would recommend Piperno (not cheap for Rome, but compared to other European capitals a joke).

Also, you get good cheap lodging near Termini station.

Safety wise Rome is just like most European Capitals. Very safe indeed if you are not a complete dunce. Indeed, I found Rome a pretty friendly place compared to Copenhagen, London, Amsterdam and Paris. People are nicer (though as everywhere: if they are too nice they are after your money^^). My mother and (barely) pregnant wife were offered seats in the Metro which was amusing considering they are both rather athletic and spry :mrgreen:

Oh, do watch out when crossing the streets considering the idiotic traffic :lol: It's even crazier than Paris.
Last edited by Frankie - B on Tue Jul 01, 2014 7:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: deleted the quote.

boysa

by boysa

Some guidelines might help with recommendations. I'm fond of Trastevere, but there are so many options. I always rent an apartment because it can save you a ton of cash.
"Deserve's got nothing to do with it." William Munny

ultimobici
in the industry

by ultimobici

Thanks guys.

I was planning on renting an apartment as I'm in Rome for 10 days and I like to come & go as I please.

As I don't drive I need to be close to public transport. Living in London I know that convenience in a place to stay can put you in some of the less salubrious areas very easily. Hampstead is very nice and quiet but Camden which is only a mile away is less pleasant to stay in.

micky

by micky

How about staying somewhere outside like Civitavecchia?
But it all depends on what you wanna do during those days.

ultimobici
in the industry

by ultimobici

micky wrote:How about staying somewhere outside like Civitavecchia?
But it all depends on what you wanna do during those days.

RIDE!!!!!
Seriously though, I'd be a fool and a philistine if I visited Rome and didn't check out the city on foot. I'm flying into Fiumicino if that makes a difference?

As long as it's not miles from the start at the Colosseum and the finish at the Circus Maximus I'm cool.

tedh

by tedh

Fiumicino is on the coast, not near center Rome. If you are starting near the Coloseum, then Trastevere makes a lot of sense, and there is great food all around there. Try restaurant al Bric for your finishing meal on via del Pellegrino if you like nice food and wine (and cheese).

boysa

by boysa

Yes, Fiumicino is quite far from the city. Is this a "budget" stay? If so, you can find some good deals if you look in Ostiense, Ripa, or Testaccio. On my most recent trip I stayed right in the heart of Trastevere (rented an apartment through Air BnB), and it was ideal. I seem to enjoy Roma more and more on each successive visit.
"Deserve's got nothing to do with it." William Munny

btompkins0112

by btompkins0112

I stayed in Campo de Fiori for a week last summer and it was pretty much perfect....good walk-ability to all the sites and not terribly busy.

EDIT: Also wasn't terribly expensive if I remember correctly. I rented a place through AirBnB....lots of options in that area.

HeluvaSkier

by HeluvaSkier

I was there in the fall and stayed near Trevi. If you want to ride from your hotel/apartment this may not be the best idea, but if you want to see Rome by foot or by subway, this is an excellent place to be.

ultimobici
in the industry

by ultimobici

AirBnB is the way I'm going. Have a few offers so I think I'll be good.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com