Ever noticed a big difference riding your heavier bike

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

Illuminate

by Illuminate

Franklin wrote:
Illuminate wrote:http://www.analyticcycling.com/ForcesLessWeight_Page.html

Hope this helps.

cheers, I

/facepalm

I'm a bit grumpy, but do you seriously think people do not know weight matters when climbing? The whole point is that weight hardly matters on the flats. And for a real clincher: Aerodynamics are in 99.99% of the cases more important unless all you do is a mountain TT day in day out.

What's wrong... is setting the slope to 0.00 and changing the other parameters a little bit beyond your ability?

Wingnut

by Wingnut

Bantamben wrote:We all know weight accounts for some extra watts needed especially when climbing. I'm just curious for those of you with multiple bikes. You ever go out on a group ride with friends on your heavy bike (20lbs or so) and struggle compared to riding your light bike (15lbs). Or is it really ever not that noticeable.
Thanks

What we used to do prior to owning multiple bikes was use your heavy training wheels all the time then put the light race wheels on race day...the difference felt was significant...

When I had both a training bike (Columbus Max) which I would use most of the time then I'd switch to my race bike (Litespeed Ultimate) on the morning of the race...the feeling was magnificent...

Today I see floggers training on the greatest and lightest both in frame and wheels...any benefit is significantly lost in your psyche because the WW bike just feels like any bike if you ride it ALL the time...

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Franklin

by Franklin

Illuminate wrote:What's wrong... is setting the slope to 0.00 and changing the other parameters a little bit beyond your ability?

What's wrong.... is reading the thread a litlle bit beyond your ability? Because you might take a good look at the model and notice wind and drafting are lacking from the model and yet we are discussing the paceline in this thread. :roll:

Let's cut the snark okay? Your model is not shedding light on the subject at hand and I was grumpy pointing it out.

nickf

by nickf

My built up CAAD9 is around 14.5 lbs. I built a lugged frame last year with columbus spirit. Long and low geometry. Build includes full rival and kcnc bits. Its at 17.5 lbs. Only thing i notice is its not as snappy and stiff like the cannondale. But still doesnt hold me back. Fast group/race training rides i do just as much work. I dont think 3 lbs is enough for me to even notice. No hills in Florida though.

djconnel

by djconnel

3 lb on a hill with around 180 lb net mass is 1/60. So that makes a 6% grade feel like a 6.1% grade. I really can't feel that level of difference.

I was at a really cool shop in Lucerne where outside a Brit man was telling another Brit (woman) how the "lighter bikes will wear you out a lot less on the climbs". I smiled and moved on.

weenie

by weenie

Wingnut wrote:
Bantamben wrote:We all know weight accounts for some extra watts needed especially when climbing. I'm just curious for those of you with multiple bikes. You ever go out on a group ride with friends on your heavy bike (20lbs or so) and struggle compared to riding your light bike (15lbs). Or is it really ever not that noticeable.
Thanks

What we used to do prior to owning multiple bikes was use your heavy training wheels all the time then put the light race wheels on race day...the difference felt was significant...

When I had both a training bike (Columbus Max) which I would use most of the time then I'd switch to my race bike (Litespeed Ultimate) on the morning of the race...the feeling was magnificent...

Today I see floggers training on the greatest and lightest both in frame and wheels...any benefit is significantly lost in your psyche because the WW bike just feels like any bike if you ride it ALL the time...

or.. you dont compete and just enjoy the marvel of technology that today's bike are.. instead of letting you 10k bike sleep in the garage 360 days a year..

Wingnut

by Wingnut

weenie wrote:or.. you dont compete and just enjoy the marvel of technology that today's bike are.. instead of letting you 10k bike sleep in the garage 360 days a year..

That's fine too...you just won't feel the psychological gains...

Barters

by Barters

I felt the difference today! First day back on the winter bike (10kg Canyon Inflite AL) after riding the summer on my 6.8kg Scott CR1SL. I rode a route that I cover frequently this morning & I am slower, heart rate higher (strava doesn't lie). The bike is definitely slower, particularly in acceleration.

MattSoutherden

by MattSoutherden

How do you find the Inflite? I'm umming and arring over whether to buy one at the moment. The spec is great for the current 9.0s, but I'm a little wary of how the alu frame might ride. Is it harsh? How's the fork?
Snacking on carrot sticks - Where did it all go so wrong?
-
Finsbury Park CC

9tarmac

by 9tarmac

I definitely feel it even though the difference is only 1.4kg. I think the quality of wheelset makes up a big part of that different feel though.

Rush

by Rush

Two weeks ago I took my old bike (20 year old Reynolds 531 roadie) on a regular route in Melbourne, Australia (Banyule Flats/Eltham/Mt Pleasant Rd) for the first time in over a year and I noticed some differences. Much harder to maintain a high speed over rolling terrain.

On a longer climb at lower speeds, there differences aren't that noticeable.

Took the new light bike out on the same route this week, set PBs! The other difference is the gearing. My old bike's lowest gear is 39/25. My new bike has 34/26. I had to muscle the old bike a lot more on short and sharp climbs > 10%. I took that approach with the new bike (instead of sitting and spinning) and it also improved my speed.

User Name

by User Name

Barters wrote:.10kg Canyon Inflite AL.
Jeepers! What's on it? :D My old alu bikes are just over 9kg, and that's with heavy forks and 2kg wheels.