Benefits of tight shorts and jersey?

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

drainyoo

by drainyoo

I've done 6+ hour rides on a fixed gear in cargo pants and a t-shirt and was comfortable the entire time. So, that's not it. I just don't feel comfortable in tight clothing, but you might be right that I haven't experienced good cycling clothing.

I'm going to give it a go again, especially after learning about the aero benefits for a rider like me. In your opinion what's good clothing? Assos, Rapha, Mavic?

Franklin

by Franklin

drainyoo wrote:I've done 6+ hour rides on a fixed gear in cargo pants and a t-shirt and was comfortable the entire time. So, that's not it. I just don't feel comfortable in tight clothing, but you might be right that I haven't experienced good cycling clothing.

I'm going to give it a go again, especially after learning about the aero benefits for a rider like me. In your opinion what's good clothing? Assos, Rapha, Mavic?

I'm sure you did it and were fine, but you are very lucky to be able to walk after that, especially if you had normal underwear. Next time you might not be so lucky. Sweat and looose sitting pants are a recipe for chafing, and no, you are not immune tot that :wink:

On the brands: Fine clothes, if only extremely expensive :lol:

I'm personally very happy with Castelli and Campagnolo, but this is just because my body and their fit is right for me. Also, I only buy at sales as especially Campa aint that cheap :D

Good cheaper brands include (but are not limited to!) Bioracer and Sportful. Also, you could look into cycling to keep chafing at minimum if you want to maintain your look. But consider that will still be tight underneath and the extra layer is just another friction/chafing, allbeit much better than regular underpants.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

drainyoo

by drainyoo

Franklin wrote:
I'm sure you did it and were fine, but you are very lucky to be able to walk after that, especially if you had normal underwear. Next time you might not be so lucky. Sweat and looose sitting pants are a recipe for chafing, and no, you are not immune tot that :wink:

On the brands: Fine clothes, if only extremely expensive :lol:

I'm personally very happy with Castelli and Campagnolo, but this is just because my body and their fit is right for me. Also, I only buy at sales as especially Campa aint that cheap :D

Good cheaper brands include (but are not limited to!) Bioracer and Sportful. Also, you could look into cycling to keep chafing at minimum if you want to maintain your look. But consider that will still be tight underneath and the extra layer is just another friction/chafing, allbeit much better than regular underpants.

Oh yes, I always wear padded tights under any kind of loose fitting pants. Riding with just cotton undies would rip my inner thighs apart.

I'm going to check those brands out. I'm really actually looking forward to rocking some tights to see if my avg speed improves. Thanks for all the help, folks.

jvanv8

by jvanv8

99% of people on this board will agree (and have already stated) the benefits of Comfort, Efficiency, and Maximizing Enjoyment during your disposable time, which for most is pretty rare and expensive. Even if you are not a pro, you need to respect and honor that last bit.
I'll also add one more minor cravat for me - a poorly fitting jersey during a road ride (generally in the upper chest/shoulders) that rattles in the wind annoys me to no end.
Of course this is not a big issue if are you mountain biking or cruising around at low speed.
AX Vial Evo: 4970g
Addict SL : 5235g
My Cycling Blog
Strava: Wayward Cyclist

drainyoo

by drainyoo

Gotta say, I really love the Rapha line. The style of it is right up my alley. Might have to pull the trigger on some gear.

In terms of bibs, anything that I should look out for, or will most bibs from major brands be good?

mattr

by mattr

Hmmmm, none of my cycling gear is "tight", it just fits.

Maybe get the right size kit rather than one or two sizes too small.

btompkins0112

by btompkins0112

+1

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

Bogan

by Bogan

Easier to do the falsetto bit at choir practice.
MAMIL? Never. O.F.I.L. yeh! (Old F**ker in Lycra)

Marin

by Marin

drainyoo wrote:I've done 6+ hour rides on a fixed gear in cargo pants and a t-shirt and was comfortable the entire time. So, that's not it. I just don't feel comfortable in tight clothing, but you might be right that I haven't experienced good cycling clothing.

I only started road riding this year and I used to think along the same lines as you do. I had nice Endura MTB shorts, and I had no problem riding in cut cargo pants and a T-shirt. But after I built my FM-066, I got bib shirts and a full zipper jersey (from Eleven sportswear) for road riding and I've never looked back. The padding in the bibs is really really good, and the jersey is also very comfy when riding bent over.

Go for a house brand that gets good reviews and just see if you like it. I paid like 85€ for my set.

drainyoo

by drainyoo

I'm definitely going to do that. Good to know that the transition worked for you.

gt5504b

by gt5504b

With bibs, the more you spend (most of the time) the better you get. But along the same lines, buying the best bibs from a more affordable company may be cheaper than buying the cheapest of some higher end company.

That being said you mentioned Rapha whose classic bibs even have a try for 30 days no questions asked policy and you certainly could never go wrong with a properly fitting pair of Asos bibs.

drainyoo

by drainyoo

Wow, didn't know about that 30 day trial from Rapha. Thanks.

djm

by djm

Get something you like the look of and that fits you well. Rapha is nice, especially if your tummy protrudes, even the alleged Pro Team series. Sportful is also really nice, their Bodyfit range is awesome and has the same or better quality than Rapha. Assos beats everyone in regard to durability. Go to your local dealer and try what they have.

Snug clothing will make you feel more free and uninhibited on the bike. Try it and don't be embarrassed.

drainyoo

by drainyoo

Awesome. I will check out Sportful as well.

Anyone riding Giro's new line of clothing? In terms of style and quality, seems on par with Rapha, but more affordable.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

ANV

by ANV

I would go for the assos s7 t equipe. They have a all new cut. I also owned the older assos model. Improvements are:

- The straps are moved out to the side so they won't rub your nipple
- The chammy is only sewed on the front and on the back which takes a lot of genital pressure.
- And due to we are on weight weenies they got lighter ;)

I already rode some 200km+ rides in them and they are superb. In my opinion. But in the end every bib will be better then no bib ;)

Ride safe!