HOT: Active* forum members generally gain 5% discount at starbike.com store!
Weight Weenies
* FAQ    * Search    * Trending Topics
* Login   * Register
HOME Listings Articles FAQ Contact About

Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2014 4:27 pm 

I understand the benefits of wearing tight cycling shorts and jerseys for pros, amateurs, or anyone racing, but why would a recreational/fitness rider like myself ever need to wear it? I mostly ride with looser MTB shorts and jerseys because I find them to be much more comfortable and versatile.

I see these locals who clearly aren't fit racers rocking full kits, and I don't get it. Am I missing out on something, or is it more of a stigma thing? Are there any benefits for a rider like me?

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2014 4:51 pm 

Riding a 6.24 kg bike, you might be interested in the better aero the tight kit will give you. It'll make more difference than shaving another 500g :-)

Plus, I find the road bike kit more comfy on long rides. I did 85km on the Cyclocross bike in mtb shorts and a t-shirt today and wished I had worn lycra...

Posted: Sat Jun 21, 2014 4:51 pm 

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2014 4:54 pm 

"And I can hear you already: "But I don't ride at 40km/h!" Since aerodynamic drag increases exponentially with speed, it's true that the force differences you might experience between an aero and non-aero setup will be less dramatic. The time differences, however, will actually be greater than if you were moving faster. Counterintuitively, this means that slower riders will get more benefit from aerodynamic gains than faster ones."

http://www.bikeradar.com/road/gear/article/angryasian-aero-differences-you-can-feel-41242/

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2014 5:00 pm 

shaving 10s off the coffee shop ride in important.

personally I can see a light fitting shirt being more comfortable. but shorts ? no. I don't want the legs flapping... same goes for loose uppers, so I wear the tight kit... no skin suits though.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2014 5:23 pm 

There is probably some subjectivity to the interpretations of "tight" and "loose" or "comfortable".
I find that "snug" bib short act like a jock strap to keep the bits in place. Hence, it is actually more "comfortable" for any significant length of ride.
Similarly, a "form fitting" jersey doesn't flap and create vibration, noise, and drag, so it feels more "comfortable".

I can see how mountain bike wear would be more relaxed for the typically different operating conditions.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2014 6:00 pm 

Road clothes are designed specifically for riding a bike which is why even XC racers were road kits. There is no set millage or body fat% that must be attained before road clothes become the best choice when riding your 6.4kg race specific bike. For me personally I wouldn't be donning the lycra on anything shorter than a 30 min ride. Come to think of it I don't think a race bike makes much sense for that kind of riding anyway.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2014 6:01 pm 

Kermithimself wrote:
"And I can hear you already: "But I don't ride at 40km/h!" Since aerodynamic drag increases exponentially with speed, it's true that the force differences you might experience between an aero and non-aero setup will be less dramatic. The time differences, however, will actually be greater than if you were moving faster. Counterintuitively, this means that slower riders will get more benefit from aerodynamic gains than faster ones."

http://www.bikeradar.com/road/gear/article/angryasian-aero-differences-you-can-feel-41242/

Interesting. I always assumed that aero provided more gains the faster you go. I'll have to look at getting some tighter gear.

I'm ok with a tighter shirt, but tight shorts really bug the hell out of me. Right now I wear tights with padding under my MTB shorts, and I feel that my stuff is just too tight down there. Curious though, are there shorts that would be an inbetween to tights and MTB?

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2014 6:06 pm 

drainyoo wrote:
Interesting. I always assumed that aero provided more gains the faster you go. I'll have to look at getting some tighter gear.

Slow riders benefit from aerodynamic gains too because they're out on the course longer.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2014 6:11 pm 

That's a good point. So I assume that the less drag, the more stamina. That right there be would worth it for me.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2014 12:38 am 

wearing tight-fit clothes allows you to benefit from the material qualities - such as breathability for instance. i used to wear loose 'tech' clothes for mountain climbing (like on foot, not on bike :lol:) but after i started cycling, i switched to more tighter fit and never looked back, no matter how 'uncool' some might say it looks (it was a different fashion 15 years ago..). same goes with skiing. AFAIK the tighter the kit, the cooler it keeps me on hot days, and warmer on chilly days. both on the bike and while hiking.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2014 2:49 am 

Loose fitting shorts move around under you. Ride for long enough and that causes chafing. I have finished long races with half dollar sized spots on my butt that have been rubbed raw by the shorts. It's rather uncomfortable especially if it's the first day of a two day stage race.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2014 3:53 am 

Location: Wherever there's a mountain beckoning to be climbed

Tight -> Aero!!
[/thread]

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2014 5:41 am 

bricky21 wrote:
For me personally I wouldn't be donning the lycra on anything shorter than a 30 min ride. Come to think of it I don't think a race bike makes much sense for that kind of riding anyway.

yep, I agree! I only wear aerosuits and use my TT bike for those kind of rides :mrgreen:
If one finds loose clothes more comfortable that thight ones on a bike, he has to try out more comfortable tight shorts / jersey in the first place me thinks.

Last edited by de zwarten on Sun Jun 22, 2014 8:54 am, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2014 7:27 am 

Chafing /thread

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2014 10:07 am 

drainyoo wrote:
I see these locals who clearly aren't fit racers rocking full kits, and I don't get it. Am I missing out on something, or is it more of a stigma thing? Are there any benefits for a rider like me?

The answer is comfort. :smartass:

If loose shorts are more comfortable you simply never had good Bibs and/or never rode your bike for more than an hour.
Same goes for shirts, excercising in a flapping shirt is just terrible. A nice tight (not overly so!) shirt is just much more comfortable.

Really, if you think those loose clothes are more comfortable you just never experienced good cycling clothes.

Posted: Sun Jun 22, 2014 10:07 am 

Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next