Appealing Belgium VAT charges

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

Tinea Pedis

by Tinea Pedis

I've just paid 101 EU on VAT charges because the Belgium Customs decided my possessions, I had shipped to me from Australia, were new and from a retailer. My partner, bless her, stated the package value was $250. There's no separate section on Australia Post International postage for 'commercial value'. Only a value for the contents (for insurance as much as anything else).

I had a barely worn Gabba jersey in there. As well as a few other odds and ends I forgot. Only new item in there was a wireless mouse, $10 worth. Again, was bought while I was in Australia and never got around to using it.

Question is, how do I appeal this? My team DS explained all the conditions to me, which were written in Flemish on the back of the receipt you get AFTER you've paid for the package to be released. If I'd known all that, I would have left the package there and they could have sent it back home. I could have bought a new Gabba for that amount!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

MisterNoChain

by MisterNoChain

This is the email adress for information of the Belgium customs: info.douane@minfin.fed.be
I didnt find anything more specific for your problem but i suppose it's a start.

Telling them you watch the Ronde van Vlaanderen every year and your all time favorite is Tom Boonen can also work in your favor :D

Tinea Pedis

by Tinea Pedis

Maybe I should add how much VAT they have already made off me on my Speculoos consumption.

Thank you for the email address.